Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Covered Armour Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmmm... I was mentioning the MET armour not for any reason but that of other fabric covered armour comparison. I was not saying it should be copied or used as anythign but evidence of other fabric armour and a continuance from earlier Coat of Plates to brigs and jacks. To be fair though Bashford-dean did the best he could with limited info and the ethics of the time were to restore items not leave them around until one knew how to do it right. While for sure he took some liberties I think people sometimes go slightly hard on the poor man. He was given bags of bits that had already been gone through and put it together the best he could. I have seen some modern retries of the suit but if anyone here has a good one they feel is accurate I am up for a few more. There still are a number of bits of the Chalkis horde still around such as large brig plates that are not reassembled that also indicate they were fabric covered as well.

Chuck,

I have never heard there was much childrens armourn preserved. What items and sources in particular? It would be intersting if indeed people were spending that kind of money on kids toys.

I agree that this looks to be late 14th but that is as the design follows that trend more than 15th. I do not know if they had completely stopped fabric covering armour as in London they are still doing it in the second half of the 15th (they get marks placed on them and have to be inspected before covering them).

RPM
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Randall,

No dis on Dean - this was rather standard antiquarian practice of the time; he's hardly to be singled out for it. My point simply is that that particular cuirass is not historic, a point the MET itself stresses now in a disclaimer accompanying the display. If I recall correctly, some of the plates used in its construction don't even originate with torso defenses.

I think I have a reference for another covered breastplate somewhere home...maybe it's in the Churburg book. If I find it I'll post about it here.

All the best,

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

here is a photo from Le Armatura di S. Maria delle Grazie di Curatone di Mantova e L'Armature Lombarda del '400, by Lionello G. Boccia.

Attachment: 68.2 KB
baw195.jpg

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
here is a photo from Le Armatura di S. Maria delle Grazie di Curatone di Mantova e L'Armature Lombarda del '400, by Lionello G. Boccia.
That's the same breastplate, again, right?
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian,

No worries! Appreciate the comments. I had heard he did use bits of other armour parts as well in his configuration as well. I just hope the armour I am working with does not get me a bad name in the future..... Big Grin

I think the same armour in question by Nathan is in the Wisby book listed as circa 1400.

RPM
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
...I think the same armour in question by Nathan is in the Wisby book listed as circa 1400.
RPM

Also shown in Chapter 4 of Edge & Paddock's Arms & Armor of the Medieval Knight, where it is described as:
Quote:
A late fourteenth century breastplate with a fauld, covered in velvet. Probably North Italian.
I guess this particular breastplate is a popular reference artifact!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve,

Ah! I missed that one! I just leafed through it yesterday not able to find it but remembering it somewhere like that! I figure late 14th is very likely by the style, (I hope so becasuse I have one 4/5 of the way finished at home in the US! for later 14th knight....). I think on the one I am working on I will use red velvet but I may go with a more simple and heavy linen canvas. I found a reference to tons and tons of Coat of Plates, breastplates and other armour in a register of Prince Edward, son of Edward III. It mentions at least 30-40 Coat of Plates,a number having black, blue and other colors. The best source I have found for Coat of Plates and 14th century Brigs is in the Armour of the BAttle of Wisby. Once I get back to the states and finish mine I will post it.
RPM
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
....No dis on Dean - this was rather standard antiquarian practice of the time; he's hardly to be singled out for it. My point simply is that that particular cuirass is not historic, a point the MET itself stresses now in a disclaimer accompanying the display. If I recall correctly, some of the plates used in its construction don't even originate with torso defenses....

This begs the question; WHY is it still together in this a-historical manner?! I mean, it could be turned into an exhibit on earlier archaeological methods (a large image of the "assembled" cuirass along with the separate parts on display and correctly labeled/matched to the image). Then you would have a chance to actually educate people instead of saying "oh, by the way it isn't real." Maybe this would be too much work?

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Bennison N

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jul, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered Armour         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
The photo attached is from The Bayerisches Nationalmuseum. It shows many wonderful things including a few unusual items. Take note of the sword to the left with the circular finger ring and its scabbard to the right with what appears to be a place for by-knives and a cut-out for the finger-ring. Speaking the sword, it's a wondeful example of form similar to Oakeshott's later blade types with the two short fullers...

Sorry to resurrect and hijack... but I like this sword a lot (the one in Nathan's original post), and would like to know if anyone has any more photos, information or links I can use to find out more about it.

Thanks for your time, you lot. Big Grin

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Tomas B

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 May, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My photos of the covered breastplate with faulds in the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum in Munich. The artifact number for it is W195. To my dismay the display case was covered on the sides so I was unable to get any side-on or from-behind photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomas-b/sets/72157629656588156/

I can't seem to upload the full sized images so if anyone would like the 4MB plus original photos contact me and I can send them along to you (the folder is 65MB...125MB if I send the duplicates I cut out, lol).

Cheers,

Tomas
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Wed 09 May, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tomas,

I would very much like to have hi res images of that piece.

Emailing it isn't practical but making up an RAR or ZIP container would be. That could be uploaded to any file sharing site you like. I currently use Filesonic but Drop Box is also free. Then anyone you give the link to that file may download it at their leisure, with much less wasted bandwidth for you. And oddly enough, its exactly what those kinds of sites are for, legally. Wink

Please let me know what I might do to help you, if anything.

Cheers!

Kel
Tomas B

PostPosted: Thu 10 May, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Could anybody who would like a zip folder of the full sized photos of the Munich covered breastplate please PM me. They are uploaded and the file is 66MB. The folder contains all the photos I posted on flickr (none of my "discard pile" because that would have doubled the size).

Cheers,

Tom
Tomas B

PostPosted: Thu 10 May, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To give you an idea of the detail level of the actual photos I've attached actual size of two of the rivets from the centre of the breastplate in this photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomas-b/71669979...9656588156

Until I saw it in person I always assumed the rivet head were rough from the hammer or maybe faceted. Boy was I wrong.

Attachment: 31.11 KB
detail_DSC_0496.JPG

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Covered Armour
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: