Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > G. Gedney Godwin small sword, how good is the steel? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Katie Neal

PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: G. Gedney Godwin small sword, how good is the steel?         Reply with quote

on the G. Gedney Godwin small sword, how good is the steel? does anyone have one?

ive read all the reviews for the small swords, i feel the del tin would have the best "un-bendable" blade. i but ive never had an arms and armour sword either.

my cold steel sabre broke so i wont be getting another on of those.

tell me, Will the G. Gedney Godwin short sword live up to rigorous use? is it worth the money? should i buy one tommorrow?

thanks guys

Katie

Last edited by Katie Neal on Wed 23 Aug, 2006 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: G. Gedney Godwin short sword, how good is the steel?         Reply with quote

Katie Neal wrote:
on the G. Gedney Godwin short sword, how good is the steel? does anyone have one?

ive read all the reviews for the short swords, i feel the del tin would have the best "un-bendable" blade. i but ive never had an arms and armour sword either.

my cold steel sabre broke so i wont be getting another on of those.

tell me, Will the G. Gedney Godwin short sword live up to rigorous use? is it worth the money? should i buy one tommorrow?

thanks guys

Katie

I can not comment on G Gedney's products other then some of their fittings which were very nice. However I would suggest that you are not looking for an "unbendable blade" but rather an unbreakable blade... and / or one that does not stay bent. Most sword blades will bend, that is why they are heat treated, so that when they bend they will return to true (also for edge holding properties, durability etc. but nevermind) without breaking. From what I've heard Del Tin does a decent job with heat treat, as does Arms and Armor, Angus Trim, Albion etc. as well as a plethora of custom makers.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We'd need to know what you mean by "short sword" to give much helpful advice. In general, I think it's a good idea to judge a reproduction blade by its documented historical appropriateness rather than by any subjective modern criteria (test-cutting of ahistorical targets, comparison to other reproductions, "feel", etc.).

It also bears repeating that the unbreakable sword exists only in the realm of fantasy. Any decent sword will withstand use appropriate to its design, but the finest sword ever made will break if pushed far enough beyond the parameters of its intended purpose. And, of course, that purpose will determine the degree to which the blade must be able to flex. A flexiblle, hatchet-point cutting blade such as that of the 1796 is a good thing. A flexible estoc is a bad thing.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Katie Neal

PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: ...         Reply with quote

Good lord Gentlemen! im not looking or meaning to refer to The "ultimate" unbendable sword.

im looking for something that with bend back true after tough use!!

Russ knows what i ment. is del tin the way to go for a small sword? does G. Gedney Godwin sword steel compare?
Jay J

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought a Godwin colichemarde in 2004. It was beautiful, but when I flexed it slightly, it stayed bent. It had the pliablility of a coat hanger. I sent it back, but sometimes I wonder if it was a fluke.
David Teague

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is another supplier of historic clothing that offering smallswords made with fenceable blunts

Smiling Fox Forge

Here is a link to one of the swords they offer link

Cheers,

David Teague

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
James Aldrich

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I purchased the Godwin smallsword quite a few years ago it was explicitly not warranted against breaking if actually used as a sword. Some years later I talked with someone who had used his for fencing with no problems. So I started using mine and although I haven't fenced extensively with it, it has held up fine. The blade is stiff but does return true and has not broken. As has been posted, this experience is not universal.

That said, my first choice for a reliable civilian smallsword is still Arms & Armor http://www.arms-n-armor.com/rapier069.html

Yes, it is pricey and uses a commercially produced third-party blade. But it is historically good and it works. If I had to choose a smallsword with which to defend myself it would be the A&A. Alternatives such as offered by Smiling Fox might well be a better choice for your budget, but I would at least look for a "musketeer" or "double-wide" blade rather than an epee blade.

JSA

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > G. Gedney Godwin small sword, how good is the steel?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic