Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword of Godfrey of Bouillon Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Rick Kasparek

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Sword of Godfrey of Bouillon         Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone had any information on what this sword may have looked like. It is said that Godfrey of Bouillon was buried in the church of the Holy Sepulchre and that the tomb of Godfrey was destroyed in 1808, but at that time a large sword, said to have been his, was still shown.

Rick
Midland Texas
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sword of Godfrey of Bouillon         Reply with quote

Rick Kasparek wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had any information on what this sword may have looked like...

Hey Rick...

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum... It's good to have you here!

From one Texan to another Big Grin

Don't know much about Sir Godfrey's sword... but here is an excellent thread with lots of pictures started by Paul Hansen over on SFI.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Other than the link above, this is what I found floating on the 'net. As it has no information and is only a link to a clip art site, I can only assume it has absolutely no verifiable basis in historical fact. This sword does look similar to the one linked above, however.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There was a pretty good disscusion over at SFI a couple of weeks ago. http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50498
hope this helps
Rick Kasparek

PostPosted: Tue 22 Aug, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to all who posted! After looking through the SFI thread, it would appear that there is quite a bit of discussion as to the authenticity of this sword. To anyone's knowledge, has there been any additional testing, authentication carried out on this piece?

As any of you who have dabbled in genealogy know - eventually many of us can trace a path back to famous people. My own sword collection is just starting, and I figured it might be fun to collect replicas of the swords of famous people in my ancestry. I have traced back through to some fairly famous folks, but the thread goes back and forth from male to female lines so no 'direct' descendancy. Still... to say that one is distant kin to Strongbow, Brian Boru, Godfrey, etc is kind of cool!

Looking for reasonably priced replicas of these swords for starting my collection.

I appreciate your posts and kindness!

Rick[/u]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword of Godfrey of Bouillon
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic