Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Movie Pathfinder Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There must have been some Scandinavian guy who have kick the producer highest end when he pic up some blue berry in the forrest,
thats the only reason i can see for this move spread some dark light over norsemen handling over there,
anyway! i will see it as a Conan part V fantasy movie Big Grin

Kirk Spencer!
in the trailer, check in the dragon head pommel on one of the sword's Cool

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ah man. i'm going to have so much fun talking to the public at events after this movie comes out. sigh.... they'll look at my norman outfit and go, you dont look like the movies.... arggggggggg!!!!!!!

http://home.armourarchive.org/members/wolf/images/conroi/SM8.jpg

http://home.armourarchive.org/members/wolf/images/conroi/SM27.jpg
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The kit's coming along nicely Chuck. Any plans on attaching a ventail?
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ya, but i really need to attach the coif fisrt. i'm waiting on materials, tiem and help Happy still ahvent decided on the bib square or the other styles yet
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
ya, but i really need to attach the coif fisrt. i'm waiting on materials, tiem and help Happy still ahvent decided on the bib square or the other styles yet

Ahh, are you wearing the coif under the hauberk? I thought it was already attached. Neat trick!
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
ah man. i'm going to have so much fun talking to the public at events after this movie comes out. sigh.... they'll look at my norman outfit and go, you dont look like the movies.... arggggggggg!!!!!!!

Great Work!

Substitute a round shield for the kite shield and we have a real Viking Jarl, not some idiot in a horned helmet. Happy
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Chuck Russell wrote:

Ahh, are you wearing the coif under the hauberk? I thought it was already attached. Neat trick!

Patrick: Sounds like a good trick to me as it gives you the option of using it over the hauberk when you want to move your period forward a 100 years or so. Sort of not " PURE " if one wants to be as historically correct as possible, but if it fools the eye into thinking it's all in one piece ............. WTF?! Cool

From a practical use point of view the shoulder part of the coif would be much more vulnerable to a blade slipping between the coif and the hauberk when it's over the hauberk. (?)

The thing I wonder about the coif being integral with the hauberk is comfort if the face opening is too small for the hood of the coif to be pushed back freeing the head for a bit of cooling when needed or if in a semi-ready to fight mode when travelling.

I wonder if coif underneath the hauberk might have been used in period and/or depending on what other armour might have been used at the same time i.e. an early gorget maybe worn over the hauberk with the coif under the hauberk ???

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Hoin

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I saw this trailer, the first thing that crossed my mind was 'why are all the Vikings on horses'? My second thought was 'Thirteenth Warrior' meets 'Arthur', in fact I'm surprised no one has compared this movie with 'Arthur' yet. At least 13th Warrior was a good movie, Arthur was absolute trash.
Steven H

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
They are not Vikings! They are championes of Khorne from Warhammer!!!! Laughing Out Loud

That's the most logical explanation I've seen yet.

Thank you. Laughing Out Loud
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sun 20 Aug, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:
Michal Plezia wrote:
They are not Vikings! They are championes of Khorne from Warhammer!!!! Laughing Out Loud

That's the most logical explanation I've seen yet.

Thank you. Laughing Out Loud

Not enough spiky bitz, and the colors are wrong. Given the Frazetta-inspired stylings, I say they're Cimmerians invading the Pictish islands, the whole thing actually taking place in the Hyborian Age... Big Grin

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Sun 20 Aug, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

more like a bad mad max... Two men enter, one man leaves.
Thomas Beckett

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Somewhere online I came across a list of ways to avoid crap summer movies. The best one on the list was, "If you watch the trailer and it makes you say 'Meh...', understand that these are what the studio determined were the BEST scenes in the movie!"
"It's only funny until someone gets hurt... then it's hilarious!"
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If it was not for their complete ignorance id find this movie insulting. But i guess this is how history looks to people - just random killing and mindless barbarism. I just wish there was some sort of balance in what gets picked on in the mainsteam media. But lets face it, if there is anything that Hollywood loves more then a real villan its a really nordic villan - and whats more nordic then those flesheating, mace-weilding, horned Vikings....;|
Sean Quinn

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Damn your eyes all of you, after reading your replies I had to go and watch the trailer to see how bad it looked, and by the looks of it,it deserves a good Viking funeral. Reminded me of a crappy film starring Lee Majors called the Norsemen I saw years ago(Horned helmed and breastplated Vikings arrive in America and beat the living snot out of the Natives etc.)Now I`ll have to watch the movie so my misery will be complete, thanks . Sean
"A Prince must not have any any other object nor any other thought...but war,its institutions and its discipline; because that is the only art befitting one who commands". Machiavelli.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Quinn wrote:
Damn your eyes all of you, after reading your replies I had to go and watch the trailer to see how bad it looked, and by the looks of it,it deserves a good Viking funeral. Reminded me of a crappy film starring Lee Majors called the Norsemen I saw years ago(Horned helmed and breastplated Vikings arrive in America and beat the living snot out of the Natives etc.)Now I`ll have to watch the movie so my misery will be complete, thanks . Sean

I started to see that movie on cable one late night...turned the channel after only a half hour. I still wonder why I watched it that long! :-)
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Quinn wrote:

Is "Pathfinder" a remake of "The Norsemen" then?
Katie Neal

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: PATHFINDER!!         Reply with quote

Im looking foward to the movie! i hope it will be good.

maybe we should give it a chance and actully watch the movie, before we say how bad it is!!!

whats funnier about this, is most all who say that the trailer looks terrible, will still see the movie anyway.
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: PATHFINDER!!         Reply with quote

Katie Neal wrote:
Im looking foward to the movie! i hope it will be good.

maybe we should give it a chance and actully watch the movie, before we say how bad it is!!!

whats funnier about this, is most all who say that the trailer looks terrible, will still see the movie anyway.

Most of what people here have been criticizing is the a-historical aspects of costuming, etc. and the stereotyping of the cultures/races. The movie may end up being a perfectly enjoyable fantasy movie, but a historical epic it will not.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
....but a historical epic it will not.

While the movie doesn't look as if it will rate very high with most of us, in all fairness I haven't seen it being advertised as any such thing.
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I never realized the native americans and the vikings were so into mascara - you'd think that would be enough for them to get along... Big Grin

Seriously, the original Pathfinder is awesome, I'm going to go see if Netflix has it right now, to wash the taste of that trailer away.

Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Movie Pathfinder
Page 2 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: