Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albions Svante arrives. (cutting pics added) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Aug, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! Congratulations, Patrick!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 17 Aug, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Patrick,

How does the Svante compare to a sword like the Regent in terms of handling?

I think Joe gave some pretty good feedback on the issue. The swords are very close to each other in overall length. However, the grip to blade lengths are different. The Regents blade has a more aggressive distal taper and the Svantes profile taper isn't as acute overall. In spite of its shorter length the Svantes blade is a bit more massive in its overall dimensions, yet the Regent feels a bit heavier out at the point.. The Regent is a slick handling sword but due to its distribution of mass the Svante seems a bit quicker when transitioning from different positions of ward and attack. The Svantes center of gravity really helps with this. It also takes a bit more effort to get the Regent up to good striking velocity and I consider the Regent a very fine handling sword. It doesn't seem to take any effort at all to get the Svantes tip whistling through a cut so I'm very eager to try some cutting exercises with it.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 17 Aug, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua Reptsik wrote:
Are all of Abion's hollowground blades of this caliber? That blade is hypnotic. Congrats.

Thanks.

Hollowground blades used to be on the bottom of my preference list, probably because I'd only been exposed to cheaper blades with improper designs. Peters original Svante and Albions other swords like the Regent really changed my outlook on this. Now they're one of my favorite designs. Every one of Albions HG blades I've seen have been excellent examples of subtle complexity. Many turn their noses up at any kind of production sword. However, it takes a skilled hand at the belt sander to do the final shaping on swords like this.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 17 Aug, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Congratulations Patrick, welcome to the club! Since the Johnsson sword is number one and the Svante is number 2 can I make you an offer on Milestone? Wink

Ummmmm...................................................................

No! That sword may not get a lot of mention these days but it isn't going anywhere. Razz
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 17 Aug, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Last wrote:

It truly did ruin me as I was driving home from the shop I kept trying to figure out ways to convince the wife that "I" needed that sword more than "we" needed a new minivan. Happy

Uphold the man-code Chris. Tell your wife that minivans are for sissies and buy the sword.

Yeah, right. Wink
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 17 Aug, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Patrick !

That's a heck of a nice sword, laddie. Enjoy, Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 17 Aug, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
Damn Patrick, you've convinced me to get one now! I can just see my friends at my salle scoffing at my purchase of one...until they handle it. :-)

Did you get a scabbard for it too? I figure if you're going to go whole hog, then shelling out four thousand for the combo would an interesting way to go. :-)

Best of luck to you with your new baby! You've really got me thinking now!

Friends can scoff and that's fine, they're entitled to their opinion. In the end though, you don't live your life by their opinion or at least you shouldn't. I hate getting into discussions of price and relative worth since those things are all so subjective. The last time I bought a sword in this price range one of my friends asked me, "How can you justify spending that much on something like that?" In turn I asked him, "Can you justify spending $35,000 on that new fishing boat, or do you even think you have to?" That pretty much ended the discussion.

I don't have a scabbard for it but I will eventually. This one needs a fine scabbard. I may wait a while and let Aaron Schnatterly refine his skills even further and have him make one, if I don't find another source first. Gotta have one though!

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Fri 18 Aug, 2006 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 17 Aug, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:

Why do I get the distinct feeling that Patrick is running around with the Svante like a kid at Christmas that just got that bicycle that all the other kids dream to have? Laughing Out Loud

How did you know? It finally came to an end last night when my wife told me to quit running around the house in my underwear singing, "I'm a man yes I am. I'm a man a manly manly man." I'm now checking the house for hidden cameras.
Big Grin
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 17 Aug, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
Sometimes I hate logging onto this site. The close up photo's you have shown here Patrick just make me want this sword even more.

Some how the blade looks longer in proportion to the hilt than the photo's on the Albion site, obviously an illusion. With regards to the reinforced point I think Peter Johnsson once made a comment about one of the NG swords having the most reinforced point of any Albion sword.....apart from the Svante. So I think that's a pretty good reference there for how much damage the business end of this sword could do. This swords POB is quite close to the cross isn't it? Surely that's what helps make such a relatively heavy sword so dynamic in it's handling.

Finally a belated welcome back to myArmoury Patrick, your insight and wit were both missed.

Thank you Paul.

The POB is indeed very close to the guard. That, combined with it's other attributes make for a sword with excellent handling qualities. The Svante is one of those swords that serves as a prime example of how all of the weapons design aspects can and should work in harmony. There are many design elements present in the Svante that are all working in conjunction. All quality swords are like this but due to its somewhat unusual design (to the modern eye) the Svante is an interesting example of the principle.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 17 Aug, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To everyone else that I didn't reply to individully: Thank you all. It was especially exciting for me to be able to get this one. After over a quarter century of dealing with these things it isn't often that a sword comes along that just blows me away. This was one of them. When I found out I could actually own one I was like a little kid again.

I'd also like to thank Howy at Albion for making it possible. I won't go into the details except to say that he made an offer he didn't have to and while he may disagree, I think I'm getting the better end of the deal. Big Grin Thanks Howy.
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Thu 17 Aug, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Yipieee Patrick         Reply with quote

I can remember seeing Del Tin's sort-of vrsion of this sword and just plain liking the design of it then. One fine fall day someone posted up the site for Peter Johansson. I saw his reproduction and was in love. That love has since turned to lust and I must get one. Amy Waddell has been listening to me say this for some years now and life always seems to get in the way. Elbow surgery is the latest obstacle. BUt I will overcome.

Patrick I can say I am truely happy for you. To me this is THE most elegant sword design I have ever seen. Now it seems you will have to adjust your kit to reflect the proper century! PLEASE post as many photos as you can, or even a calender Big Grin Congratualtions tenfold!

Joel
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 17 Aug, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Joel,

I'd like to develop a kit around this sword but only for when I want to go sluming out of the 11th century. Razz
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Friends can scoff and that's fine, they're entitled to their opinion. In the end though, you don't live your life by their opinion or at least you shouldn't. I hate getting into discussions of price and reletive worth since those things are all so subjective. The last time I bought a sword in this price range one of my friends asked me, "How can you justify spending that much on something like that?" In turn I asked him, "Can you justify spending $35,000 on that new fishing boat, or do you even think you have to?" That pretty much ended the discussion.

I don't have a scabbard for it but I will eventually. This one needs a fine scabbard. I may wait a while and let Aaron Schnatterly refine his skills even further and have him make one, if I don't find another source first. Gotta have one though!

Yep, come to think of it, I've already spent over three grand this year on that Tinker sword and the AA Durer I just purchased...plus the new rapier/dagger set from Vladimir Cervenka that I'll be getting this month (paid for though last year). Then there's the Albion Munich I still have to finish paying for...

So in maybe I should just buy the Svante next year year. It sure will be cheaper than all the rest I bought this year. :-)

Cut well Patrick!
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought I felt a disturbance in the Force, as if millions of tatami mats, milk jugs and pool noodles suddenly cried out in terror... That must have been the moment you drew that magnificent beast from its box for the first time.

That is a breathtaking sword, Patrick. I particularly love what the darker hilt color does for the overall elegance of the piece. Congratulations!

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Thanks Joel,

I'd like to develop a kit around this sword but only for when I want to go sluming out of the 11th century. Razz

Let me know if you want to. One of my guys has reconstructed the Sture's outfits out of the Janet Arnorld Pattern's of Fashion books a couple of times now.

And as to the minivan, I've officially lost this round. But as I'm sure Mike and Howy know I'll be back. Happy

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bringing my camera this weekend and hoping to get another in-cut shot like we did of the PJ. Will be interesting to see what happens to a blade ofthis type as it sings through those mats. Big Grin

Now....as for cameras in the house.....ummmmmm, let me just say that visual made my head hurt, mwhahahahahahaha. Not EVEN asking D. about that !!!! Eek!

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Griggs wrote:
Bringing my camera this weekend and hoping to get another in-cut shot like we did of the PJ. Will be interesting to see what happens to a blade ofthis type as it sings through those mats. Big Grin

Now....as for cameras in the house.....ummmmmm, let me just say that visual made my head hurt, mwhahahahahahaha. Not EVEN asking D. about that !!!! Eek!

Guess what I'm doing right now. Laughing Out Loud
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Griggs wrote:

I would think that beastie is very stiff, so I wonder if you'll see any blade flex at all? I'll be very interested in seeing your photos.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Travis Canaday

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why does it matter if the blade flexes. I don't think a stiff blade inhibits cutting ability; and of course this is optimal for thrusting. The Savante's hollow ground blade and stiff spine seems like it would be a great cutter.
Travis
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Travis Canaday wrote:
Why does it matter if the blade flexes. I don't think a stiff blade inhibits cutting ability; and of course this is optimal for thrusting. The Savante's hollow ground blade and stiff spine seems like it would be a great cutter.

It doesn't really matter. I just think it's something people are interested in because they haven't seen a lot of it before and it isn't something you notice during cutting but only by examining photos afterwards. No big deal. The Svantes blade is very rigid and I doubt if we're going to see a lot of flex when compared to earlier designs.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albions Svante arrives. (cutting pics added)
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: