Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
81%
 81%  [ 39 ]
Very Good
16%
 16%  [ 8 ]
Good
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 48

Jul 10: myArmoury.com news and updates
Today's update:

[ Linked Image ]
Man of War: Edward, the Black Prince
An article by Chad Arnow

[ Linked Image ]
Arms & Armor Black Prince Sword
A hands-on review by Ted Hitchens and Chad Arnow

[ Linked Image ]
Great Battles: The Battle of Poitiers
An article by Chad Arnow

[ Linked Image ]
Albion Armorers Poiters Sword
A hands-on review by Greyson Brown

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
I hope people enjoy this week's update. I'm excited about it for a few reasons. First, it gives us our 75th and 76th Feature Articles. For a site that is around 3 years old, that's impressive, especially when added to our ever-growing databank of more than 150 reviews, plus all the other tools and features.

Second, the two articles here are the first published articles in two new series: one covering great battles; one covering significant historical figures and the arms & armour they left behind. The battle series is new, while the Man of War series is an outgrowth and expansion of Bjorn Hellqvist's article on Gustav Vasa's rapier. Both series allow us to delve into the history that gives arms & armour context. There are many possible additions that can be made to either series, and I'd encourage potential authors who like the ideas behind these series to contact us about adding to them.

We also welcome a new author: Edward "Ted" Hitchens. Thanks Ted!
Liked it, liked it alöööt!
Really liked it a lot also, the context given to the weapons reviews of the historical and biographical segments make each part of a much more informative whole.

Since I have a Black Prince sword I have to agree with the handling as feeling feather light while being otherwise just based on the weight numbers be though of as a wrist breaker.

I was mostly curious about the cutting ability that a mostly designed for thrusting sword like this would have: Not as much as a dedicated cutter, obviously, but enough to be useful when the occasion for a cut presented itself and enough that an opponent couldn't safely ignore a cutting attack.

The Poitiers does have a POB a little further down the blade than the Black Prince but I would think that this would be compensated by the lighter total weight to make both very similar in feel or in speed.

As I said at the beginning having the historical articles as context is a VERY GOOD idea. :cool: :cool: :cool:
Hi Jean,

I'm curious if you have happened to weigh your's?

I have one from a few years ago in bronze fittings. I could have sworn it was lighter the first time I weighed it but it seems just shy of the review weight now. Granted I'm working with an older spring fish scale.

Although it's far from my favorite cutter, I really like this sword. If I were paring down my reproductions, it would likely be about the last to go. I am most enamored of it.
~~~~~~~~~~~

I like the biographical efforts and battle reports. I'm glad to see more independant articles of these, instead of the same write-ups that get cut and pasted to so many "resources".

Cheers

GC
Great job tying everything together. The articles would still have been good on their own, but put them together and it makes things very interesting.

Kenton
Glen A Cleeton wrote:

I have one from a few years ago in bronze fittings. I could have sworn it was lighter the first time I weighed it but it seems just shy of the review weight now. Granted I'm working with an older spring fish scale.

Hey Glen,
I'm not Jean, but mine was the one photographed by Chad for the review. I bought it new in April of 2004. How long have you had yours? -Ted
Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Hi Jean,

I'm curious if you have happened to weigh your's?

Just tried weighing it by stepping on and off the bathroom scales: I'm getting something around 3 !/2 to 4 pounds but the precision of this measurement would not be precise enough to tell the difference between a recent or older version or a bronze or steel furniture sword.

Normally, everything else being equal bronze should be a bit heavier that an equal volume of steel. ( Unless it's hollow or something to make the weights the same for the same outside measurements. )

Oh, since I haven't seen or held an older version I have no point of comparison between the two.

Russ Ellis just ordered a Black Prince from A & A and since he made a scabbard for a customer's Black Prince ( Older version ) he may be able to give you an opinion on that in a few days or weeks when he has his new one in hand.

( Note: I got mine a year ago I think, maybe a few months more. I would guess one made in early 2005. )
Steve Maly's A&A Black Prince Sword is listed at about 3 pounds, 10 ounces in his collection gallery.
I really enjoyed this set of articles, it is one of my chosen fields of study. I also must say that the photography on this site is far superior to that on any of the other sites I frequent and it adds a whole extra dimension to each piece. Thank you all for your time spent.
Hi Edward,

Mine was assembled in late November or early December 2001.

Jean,

Yes, That's kind of the boat I'm in with an old spring fishing scale. It does measure eigth pounds and I'm seeing just less than 3lbs 10 ozs. I don't know how much heavier this bronze is when compared to steel but my pob is 2 and 3/8 inches from the peak of the cross. I could swear I remembered seeing a weight at the A&A site when I bought mine and I thought it listed 3 pounds 8, or 3 pounds 6 but I could be imagining things. This was before the change to the incised pommels and newer grip upgrade with the risers.

I've an Edward III blade in bronze Urbino mounts that compliments it nicely.

Everything I've ever seen from A&A seems fairly consistant. I don't know if they made any changes to the blade when they upgraded the hilt package but it does not appear so visually.

Cheers

GC
This update is just brilliant (at last a review of the A&A Black Prince) ! Thanks guys !

Cheers,

David
Oh, by the way, since reading the article about the 2006 Atlanta Blade show, I've had a little more interest in the Poitiers from reading Jason Elrods comments on it, and what do ya know, bango, Greyson reviews it. Funny how that works.
I'm always glad to oblige. And, of course, it gives me an excuse to play with my toys!

-Grey
Excellent articles guys! Always been a fan of the Black Prince!
I am very curious to know the date on the "battle scene" illustration in the Poitiers article depicting warriors fighting with brightly colored jacks. The halberds shown make me wonder.
Shae Bishop wrote:
I am very curious to know the date on the "battle scene" illustration in the Poitiers article depicting warriors fighting with brightly colored jacks. The halberds shown make me wonder.

Hello, Shae-

Sorry it's taken me awhile to respond. I've been going through my list of things to do and this came up.

The image is from The British Museum.

[ Linked Image ]

Record Number: c3816-02
Shelfmark: Cotton Nero E. II pt.2
Page Folio Number: f.166
Description: (Miniature) The Battle of Poitiers between the English and French in 1356.
Title of Work: Grandes Chroniques de France
Author: -
Illustrator: Workshop of the Boucicaut Master
Production: Circa 1415
Language/Script: French / -
All efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in the above description, but the British Library cannot accept responsibility for any errors that may occur.
Thanks very much Nathan!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: