Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Sword of Saint Maurice Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter wrote:
Most contemporary users are not going to appreciate the change in character and function of a sword when its intended for heavy armoured battle field use (like the Sword of Saint Maurice for example).

Peter, Greg and I have come to appreciate the SoSTM very much. IMHO it's one of the most interesting recreations you've introduced.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Peter wrote:
Most contemporary users are not going to appreciate the change in character and function of a sword when its intended for heavy armoured battle field use (like the Sword of Saint Maurice for example).

Peter, Greg and I have come to appreciate the SoSTM very much. IMHO it's one of the most interesting recreations you've introduced.

Really glad to hear that!
It is one of the most formidable swords I´ve seen.
A tremendous brute: refined and elegant but still a brute.
It tells a rich and insightfull tale about the 13th C knight and the reality he had to face.
By contemplating this sword you see clearly the difference of designing a sword to fit a contemporary idea of good performance, as opposed to taking a piece of history in your hands and learn from it. Some things you will have to get used to, some things you will have to expand your thinking to incorporate. There is a learning process involved.
By following this route, it is possible to get to know a small and personal aspect about a specific medieval kight (=the original owner of the sword).
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did we get split off from the original thread, or did I somehow post this in the wrong place?

Quote:
By contemplating this sword you see clearly the difference of designing a sword to fit a contemporary idea of good performance, as opposed to taking a piece of history in your hands and learn from it.

Yes, this is very true and one of the things I enjoy most about swords such as this one. They really force us to step outside our modern perceptions of what we view as "good and bad", "better and best". Everytime I've used this sword I like it more because it teaches me something new. I'll have to get one of my own eventually.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Sword of Saint Maurice
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic