Go to page 1, 2  Next

New Hilt Waxes
We received a number of final hilt waxes from Peter this week, and as we get photos of them in the mold-making process, I'll give you a sneak peek.

Here is a shot of the Gallowglass XIX...

[ Linked Image ]

Best,

Howy
Beautiful!!!
That sword (along with the Condottierre) is on my short list.
It appears the Gallowglass is going to be another sweetheart of a sword. Really good to see all the R&D work Peter and the rest of your crew has been putting in coming to greater fruition. Looking forward to seeing other "teasers". :D
Keep up the good works, Howy!

PS - I know a lot of people don't like the Irish Ring-hilts, but there is something about a well done piece that justs give me the tingles, hehe.
Well what do you know, an Irish ring hilt I actually like!

That's pretty sexy. :D
The design looks lovely, Howy. But ... ummm ... is the ring a little off center? (maybe the photo is fooling my eyes because of perspective). And, if it is - would that really matter with the waxes?
Steve Grisetti wrote:
The design looks lovely, Howy. But ... ummm ... is the ring a little off center? (maybe the photo is fooling my eyes because of perspective). And, if it is - would that really matter with the waxes?

That's to give it that 'handmade' touch.
What metal will the finished product be cast in?
Those are beautiful! Is there any type of decoration on the side of the ring?
Very nice! Looks way cooler in the photo than the drawing. I can't wait to see some of the other new ones too!
Nice.

Out of curiosity, how were period wheel/similar style pommels and guards made? Cast or forged?
Gallowglass waxes II
We thought that we'd show you what the Gallowglass will look like. The molds are done and the first production waxes are off to the foundry. This is a set of production waxes mounted on an unground blade blank.

[ Linked Image ]

Best,

Howy
So, Howy. Now that you've got us drooling all over ourselves, can you give up some of the anticipated specs? I've been keeping an eye on the site and it still says "TBA" ;) . Just told Mike yesterday that I was set on buying the Caithness, but now I'm in a terrible quandry between the two. You are evil, pure evil, HA! What to do....what to do........
Steve Grisetti wrote:

It looks pretty well centered to me. It also looks fantastic. This type of sword was my first forray into collecting (an AT0017 from Albion) so it holds a special place in my heart. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product.
While I wasn't crazy about the drawing, I have to admit that I now like this one a lot. It's good to see some of the more unusual designs be made into reproductions.
The change in the guard does a lot for me. I like it much better than I did in concept form.
I'm not seeing much difference in the guard from concept to waxes. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Kern single-hander?

Brian M
That looks like one hell of a blade. Excellent details in there.
Brian M wrote:
I'm not seeing much difference in the guard from concept to waxes. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Kern single-hander?

Brian M

The wax guard has a slight downturn the concept drawing doesn't have, or it just doesn't seem as pronounced in the drawing.
Patrick Kelly wrote:
The wax guard has a slight downturn the concept drawing doesn't have, or it just doesn't seem as pronounced in the drawing.

Honestly I think that's the perspective of the photograph. Nice looking sword regardless. Too bad I still have to pay off a Bayeaux.

Brian M
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: