Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Peters sword from Chronicles of Narnia. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Peters sword from Chronicles of Narnia.         Reply with quote

This was my youngest sons birthday present this last January. Since it isn't historic I'll place it here in the OT forum.

I was playing with the camera tonight and thought some might find these interesting. It's made by Windlass Steelcrafts.

Jeff Gentry

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick

I read all those book's when i was like 13-14, and went to see the movie and enjoyed it.

That sword look's very cool for a movie sword.

Jeff

“Princes and Lords learn to survive with this art, in earnest and in play. But if you are fearful, then you should not learn to fence. Because a despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of all skill.”
- Fechtmeister Sigmund Ringeck, 1440
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Given this and examples from Lord of the Rings, Weta Workshop (I believe they did the weapon design) seem to do much more handsome and believable movie sword designs than anything else that comes to my mind.

I trust your son likes his gift. Happy I loved the Narnia series as a kid, and thought the movie was flawed but decent (better than I had expected). Too bad Peter looked so wimpily incompetent every time he held a sword... Confused
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice pics Patrick,
You said that this sword is made by Windlass. However, I thought that it was made by Master Replicas. Is it outsourced to Windlass through MR?
Also, how does this sword handle? I looked at its stats online and it looked rather heavy for its size. Is it a fairly functional movie replica, or just another SLO?
Thanks,
Dan
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 01 Aug, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Dickinson wrote:
Nice pics Patrick,
You said that this sword is made by Windlass. However, I thought that it was made by Master Replicas. Is it outsourced to Windlass through MR?
Also, how does this sword handle? I looked at its stats online and it looked rather heavy for its size. Is it a fairly functional movie replica, or just another SLO?
Thanks,
Dan

Thanks Dan.

Yes, the sword is made by MRL/Windlass and sold through Master Replicas. I'd say it's as functional as other recent Windlass products I've handled. The blade on this one is a bit broader than the movie sword, which has quite a bit more taper towards the point than this one does, as well as hollowground surfaces which this one lacks. It's a bit blade heavy in its handling but not overly so. The blade doesn't have the finer geometries in things like profile, taper, mass distribution, etc. But for a price of $219.00 I didn't expect it to.

My son has an interest in swords as well, but being the typical 12 year old, he's enamoured with the fancy doo-dads that typically come on fantasy/movie swords. I'm trying to gradually stear him away from that stuff so that he'll form a greater appreciation for the functional/historical aspects of the sword. I think this weekends cutting session was a big step forward in that direction. He liked this sword in the movie and kept leaving the MRL catalog around the house, open to that specific page. Very subtle. Big Grin This one is at least made from carbon steel and is more solidly construced than the United Cutlerly stuff. While it appeals to his current desire for "bling", I felt it was a step in the right direction.
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 01 Aug, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A fine choice, Patrick. The sword has some of the Hollywood frills that are to be expected, but as movie swords go, it is one I rather like - far more historically plausible than most.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick, I'm curious about the inscription along the fuller and how it was applied. Can you tell if this is laser etched, or a decal, or whatever?
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Patrick, I'm curious about the inscription along the fuller and how it was applied. Can you tell if this is laser etched, or a decal, or whatever?

It's etched with gold filling which I assume is gold paint. It's pretty neatly done. There's a different saying on the other side of the blade.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Aug, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aside from the LOTR Narsil which I have hanging on my wall, I've never been a huge fan of Hollywood swords except for that one. I'm particularly drawn toward the lion's head pommel. It just has a sense of grace to it, yet it's not overly extravagant. -Ted
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Bren O

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, I also have the Narnia sword, but have sharpened it (very little work involved). It holds a sharp edge well. It is flexible but hasn't bend out of true (unlike my other sub $300 swords.)

I have used it in some heavy cutting tests and have been very happy with the results. I've cut 50mm branches, as well as 20mm x 100mm pine boards with it (2 strikes to get through), and it has out performed my Hanwei Hand and Half. They're cheap swords so why not see what they can do?

I've been quite abusive to it really but am happy to report its still in good shape.

It has maintained its shape very well (no bend or warping). It is very sturdy and well constructed. During use some major loctite is required to prevent turning of the pommel. There are a few other mods I have made to make it more to my liking.

I found the finish on the lions head needed some fine detailing. I keep cutting my left hand on his teeth (which I sharpened). The gold ring on the middle of the handle was removed as it is only held on by a pin and moves during use.

This sword isn't just a pretty face. It has a reasonably broad tang with no welds, though it is a threaded pommel like most Windlass. Maybe when your boy is ready you can sharpen his up for him too, Patrick.

The blade is beautiful and the workmanship on the leather handle is tops. It hasn't moved at all.
Rod Walker

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Patrick, I have actually handled the original Peter Lyon made sword. My wife Michelle and I were given a behind the scenes tour through WETA and we handled many of the original swords made by Peter.

I was astounded at how this one handled. For such a large looking weapon it handled like a scalpel. Michelle fell in love with it and wanted to take it home. Big Grin

Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

"Come! Let us lay a lance in rest,
And tilt at windmills under a wild sky!
For who would live so petty and unblessed
That dare not tilt at something, ere he die?"
--Errantry, John Galsworthy
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
My son has an interest in swords as well, but being the typical 12 year old, he's enamoured with the fancy doo-dads that typically come on fantasy/movie swords. I'm trying to gradually stear him away from that stuff so that he'll form a greater appreciation for the functional/historical aspects of the sword. I think this weekends cutting session was a big step forward in that direction.

I wouldn't push it on him. He'll come to appreciate the more historical swords in time. No need to squash the fantasies of youth. There's plenty of time for that after college Eek! Or is it because you want him to want the swords you want him to want ( the worst sentence I have ever written!!! Laughing Out Loud )
I bought a few fantasy SLOs when I was teen. Of course I hide those these days. Let him dream of those fantasy blades, for in time they shall yeild to dreams of historical ones.

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
K W Kuznak

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
I wouldn't push it on him. He'll come to appreciate the more historical swords in time. No need to squash the fantasies of youth. There's plenty of time for that after college Eek! Or is it because you want him to want the swords you want him to want ( the worst sentence I have ever written!!! Laughing Out Loud )
I bought a few fantasy SLOs when I was teen. Of course I hide those these days. Let him dream of those fantasy blades, for in time they shall yeild to dreams of historical ones.

haha, I agree fully! As a kid I also liked the fantasy based stuff. though that was all I had seen at the time. It took a while but when I reached and age enough to know that it was highly impracticable I swayed towards more historical based weapons. It will come in time, he'll realize that the swards designed by sword smiths are much better then those designed by Hollywood!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Peters sword from Chronicles of Narnia.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic