myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Robert the Bruce question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James,

I do not know for sure but it was almost a matter of course to make people right handed.... lefties could not be trusted. Sinister people Big Grin

RPM
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Randall,

Randall Moffett wrote:
James,

I do not know for sure but it was almost a matter of course to make people right handed.... lefties could not be trusted. Sinister people Big Grin

RPM

I'm pretty sure that's a Victorian thing, and wasn't an issue in the middle ages. Sinister is just Latin for left, but I'm not sure when it gained other connotations beyond that.

--
Al.
http://wherearetheelves.net
Xan Stepp

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Additionally a 45 degree strike may seem like a vertical strike just seconds later. If de Bohun were leaning forward (which is a reasonable assumption while riding on horseback with a lance), a 45 degree strike could easily enter the top of the helmet, and when all the motion was sorted out, make it look like a vertical strike.
Deyr fé, deyja frændur
deyr sjálfur ið sama;
en orðstír deyr aldregi
hveim er sér góðan getur.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Al Muckart wrote:
Hi Randall,

Randall Moffett wrote:
James,

RPM

I'm pretty sure that's a Victorian thing, and wasn't an issue in the middle ages. Sinister is just Latin for left, but I'm not sure when it gained other connotations beyond that.

Even if this were true, anyone trained to fight would be trained to do it right handed. Even cavalry trained to fight as a unit and not individually. Any disruption caused by a left hander in the ranks would be not be permitted. I'm a left hander but I've been fighting right-handed for so long that I feel very uncomfortable in any "southpaw" stance.
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

Dan Howard wrote:

Even if this were true, anyone trained to fight would be trained to do it right handed. Even cavalry trained to fight as a unit and not individually. Any disruption caused by a left hander in the ranks would be not be permitted. I'm a left hander but I've been fighting right-handed for so long that I feel very uncomfortable in any "southpaw" stance.

For formation fighting, certainly. I'd think that anyone trained to fight would be trained as much as possible to fight ambidextrously though. Once you're out of the comfort of your formation - as the Bruce was during this incident - the ability to use a weapon proficiently from either hand becomes a major advantage.

--
Al.
http://wherearetheelves.net
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ordinarily I wouldn't even have thought to ask, but - he was king. I have vague memories of coming across sporadic evidence that some VIP's of a sinister persuasion had more lattitude than most soldiers. In any case, reaching across one's body, considering how short the typical surviving horseman's axes are... I just don't think so.
jamesarlen.com
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Xavier B wrote:
Hello,

Weapons that made Britain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-gfclxfnpo&feature=related

lol, thanks for posting.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jan, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
Considering the fact that such a big deal was made concerning the Scottish king's way of killing de Bohun leads me to think that it was one of those moments where everything went just right for the Bruce. Any one thing could have spelled disaster for him; not sidestepping far enough, a bird getting spooked in front of his horse (which obviously didn't happen but could have if a bird had been present), the wood haft of the axe not breaking (possibly resulting in an arm injury to the Bruce), misjudging de Bohun's angle of attack, de Bohun having a stronger helm, direction as opposed to time of day and weather conditions (sun in the eyes versus not having the sun in the eyes), even breathing. Regardless of skill, there are so many factors that affect battlefield tactics that the chaos of the moment can allow something to happen that could never be exactly repeated.

The fact that the old accounts mention this at all is a compelling argument for it actually happening. Even the wry remark made by Bruce that he had broken the handle of his ax when he struck de Bohun makes this ring true. I once had an argument with a man who said that Sweyn Asliefson, an ancestor of mine, and the character who is most written about in the Orkneyinga Saga, probably did not continue with the Norse custom of raiding in the 12th c. because raiding at that time was an anachronism. Well, anachronistic things tend to get more paper and ink than the mundane.

Because Bruce is a hero of mine and was perhaps the greatest knight of his time, I believe the killing of de Bohun happened just as it was written up in the chronicles.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few follow up comments:

From my meager experience with fencing, I know its a lot harder to make fancy offensive maneuvers when the other guy is also trying to hit you. In the 'weapons that made Britain' reenactment, if you watch closely, the actor playing de Bohun actually turns his 'lance' away from 'the Bruce' during his slight swerve. In the real situation the de Bohun would have been tracking the Bruce with the tip of his Lance, and trying to compensate for his movements. Maybe he got excited about knocking off the general and got sloppy, but I doubt it was as smooth and easy as what they show.

I also saw the other episode mentioned where they tested a broadsword against a conical helm. Yes, not much of a dent. But then that is generally why knights were switching to axes and hammers at that time. A lot more momentum when the weight is placed at the end, and blunt force trauma to the head is just as effective at killing as a cut. Even a hit that did not penetrate the helm at all would produce a sever concussion if it accelerates the skull fast enough (against the brain).

But 'split him to the brisket'? Well, that sounds a bit poetic to me. Medieval chroniclers are notorious for exaggeration.

(On the other hand, I'm distantly related to The Wallace, so I absolutely believe every wild tale about him).
James R.Fox

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sirs-you are forgetting some variables, which are that a good axe head weighs about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds, Bruce was a strong man ( his leprosy, of which he finally died 13 yrs later was not that bad then) , axes swing on hafts like levers, and Bruce was used to using an axe . Therefore it would have been a mericle if de bohun's helm and head were Not split.
His leprosy is why he was fighting battles in 1314 (most experts say he should not have fought Bannockburn,)and begging for a peace, or at least a long truce in 1327, In his last 3-4 years, by all accounts he was blind and paralyzed. By 1314 he knew he was a leper,and had a limited time to force the English to recognize Scots independance and his heir which he finally did in the campaign of 1327. (He campaigned from his litter his last few years) The best account I have read is "The Wars of the Bruces"). It is still available from Amazon, I think.

Ja68ms
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I read somewhere that historians now think the Bruce did not have leprosy but rather a skin disease like psoriasis.
James R.Fox

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi-I heard that too but don't believe it. In Wars of tBruces there is a photo of his skull done when his grave was opened. All his facial bines are eaten off the left side of his skull. First time I've ever heard of psoriasis doing That!
Ja68ms
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know much about how psoriasis could attack the bone structure of the skull, but a journeyman's knowledge of politics and nationalism would lead me to conclude that if the English could somehow diminish the appeal of De Brus finishing off a Bohun with one good shot from his axe, though the Bohun had the presumed advantage of charging with his lance, it would already have been done. The only attempt so far to take something away from the Scot King is the insistance that De Bohun was a ''young'' knight, thus leading one to conclude that De Brus was lucky to get away with having a fairly inexperienced opponent... it's the old justification : yeah we lost, but we had our second string quarterback out there...
I am quite sure that if this event was not feasible, others would have attacked its credibility well before the advent of the internet.
By the way, the Bohun family had deep pockets back then and would certainly have had the means to hire some monks to rewrite the event, had it not already been so notorious as to make the exercise futile.

Cheers. Go, de Brus, go!!! JCH

Bon coeur et bon bras
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James R.Fox wrote:
Hi-I heard that too but don't believe it. In Wars of tBruces there is a photo of his skull done when his grave was opened. All his facial bines are eaten off the left side of his skull. First time I've ever heard of psoriasis doing That!

Yeah, that doesn't sounds like a skin disorder. But then it doesn't necessarily sound like leprosy either. Leprosy is a disease of the nervous system. The loss of peripheral sensation leads to accidental injuries, which of course can cause infection from some other source. Its not quite like Hollywood. None of which casts any light on the de Bohun affair! Happy
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Bruce dodging the lance? Extremely plausible. Hitting and killing the Bohun with exactly one blow? Not exactly something you see every day, but there's no reason to doubt that it can happen so it very probably did happen in this case. However, when it comes to cleaving the Bohun from crest to chin...

...I'm not so sure. I haven't been able to find the primary source quotation for this (none of the Scalacronica, Lanercost Chronicle, or Vita Edwardi Secundi mention it), and even if it exists it'd be only one source among several others that don't mention that part of the tale at all. So I remain quite skeptical about this specific part of the tale, especially since you don't need to cleave a man's helmet entirely in two in order to kill him with a blow to the head.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
The Bruce dodging the lance? Extremely plausible. Hitting and killing the Bohun with exactly one blow? Not exactly something you see every day, but there's no reason to doubt that it can happen so it very probably did happen in this case. However, when it comes to cleaving the Bohun from crest to chin...

...I'm not so sure. I haven't been able to find the primary source quotation for this (none of the Scalacronica, Lanercost Chronicle, or Vita Edwardi Secundi mention it), and even if it exists it'd be only one source among several others that don't mention that part of the tale at all. So I remain quite skeptical about this specific part of the tale, especially since you don't need to cleave a man's helmet entirely in two in order to kill him with a blow to the head.

The account is found in John Barbours The Brus. The story has been dismissed as fiction by some historians but I personally think it did happen pretty much as described. The story of the Scottish victory at Bannockburn is stirring enough without it, but the account of such a dangerous encounter for the Bruce does sound like something he would do, given his history to that date. There is also mention of the single combat, if you can call it that, in less detail, in Vita Edwardi Secundi.

I have seen what is supposed to be the skull of the Bruce and do not recall seeing any indication that large portions were eaten away. However, that was many years ago and I may have forgotten.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Robert the Bruce question
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: