Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Tips wanted; sword fitting a german noble late 14th cen? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought maybe I had been imagining things again but in Oakeshott's The Archaeology Of Weapons, both chapters 13 (Sword Hilts And Fittings) and chapter 17 (Swords And Daggers Of The Fourteenth And Fifteenth Century)
show quite a variety of pommels in use.

It might be said that no extant type XV sword shows any of these but I would feel in shortsighted to say it couldn't have happened.

A type XVIII would also not be out of the ballpark for profile (jmo). I had mentioned XIV and XVI types at SFI.

My scanner is horrible or I would scan in a bunch of images from AOW, most of effigies, that show scent stoppers in use during the 14th century. I really don't wnat to abstract the whole title but i see lots of possibilities.

Percy was said to have been saddened his favorite sword was not with him at Shrewsbury. A crescent N type pommel. This a century after Oakeshott says these rarities were even seen.

If it were my project, I would be looking at period art and effigies, taking my best guess at what the scabbard held.

I recall reading Burgundian swords were very popular in England during that period (I think it was a Froissart story) but I know less than little about German tastes of that time.

Cheers

GC
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for insightful replies. I am currently looking at lots of art and effigys, but in the nature of those its not that easy to make out much details in terms of swords. But right now im pretty set on the XVI.3, considering the somewhat tight link between Germany and Denmark in weapons and arms it should fit good. Ill give it a week of research and possible finds from some knowledgeable guys in my email-list then ill brand my decision with the final order.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. Stilleborn wrote:
Thanks for insightful replies. I am currently looking at lots of art and effigys, but in the nature of those its not that easy to make out much details in terms of swords. But right now im pretty set on the XVI.3, considering the somewhat tight link between Germany and Denmark in weapons and arms it should fit good. Ill give it a week of research and possible finds from some knowledgeable guys in my email-list then ill brand my decision with the final order.

By the way, Del Tin makes a version of the Copenhagen sword, model 5142.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yep i know, and i dont like it...;/ Dont think they have captured the nuances of the blade-shape one bit. Im going to get Cervenka or Pavel Moc to do this one.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. Stilleborn wrote:
Yep i know, and i dont like it...;/ Dont think they have captured the nuances of the blade-shape one bit. Im going to get Cervenka or Pavel Moc to do this one.

Well, considering Del Tin's philosophy and price point, I think that kind of stuff is to be expected on many levels. Happy

Either of your custom choices will do a great job. I look forward to pictures in the future. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will definatly post pictures when this project finally is in the bag..or..in the scabbard...
Im thinking about having some sort of decoration done on the hilt, cos it might look good since the fittings are overall very simple. So if anyone has any tips on nice hilt-decorations thats historically accurate for the time and style id appriciate it. My first thought was the ones from the Landgraf-hilt or maby from the XV.6.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Tips wanted; sword fitting a german noble late 14th cen?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: