Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Tips wanted; sword fitting a german noble late 14th cen? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Tips wanted; sword fitting a german noble late 14th cen?         Reply with quote

Ran a similar thread on SFI with mixed results, thought id try good ol´ MyA as well...
I'm searching to find a sword fitting a noble from "germany" around 1380. Finding characteristic and breathtaking swords from that area 70 years later is simple, but i just cant seem to find what i'm looking for in this time period. So any advice or tips are highly wanted.
I kinda like the type produced by MRL called Auray, but it felt a little "too french", or something of that nature. What i want is a mean type XV with a german feel to it. Something like the sword of Estore Visconti, but more..german. A strongly tapered blade, pointy hilt and *no* discpommel.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does it have to be a Type XV or a single-hander? That limits things a great deal, since most single-handed Type XV's I've seen date from 1400 on. The ones that don't are typically French/English.

A really nice sword that could be Germanic or England that fits the era to a "T" is Albion's Sempach.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Alexander Hinman

Reading list: 50 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sadly, a type XV, in my opinion, is perhaps the least expressive sword type. The pommels are almost always some kind of disc shape, and there is relatively little variation in the guard shape.

I have seen an illustration which shows what might be an XV (the style of drawing makes it difficult to tell). The codex was written between 1305 and 1340, but the pommel is a disc and I'm not sure how contemporary the guard is with 1380. http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/sammlung2/we...d=PAGE0079
Shae Bishop

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Albion Constable might be a possibility. It is a type XVa with a scent stopper pommel. I don't know about an exact date or if this type of sword was used much in Germany but it it named after a Frenchman from the time period you are looking for and it meets several of the other criteria.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Constable is pretty firmly 15th century. Its guard is from the Castellan, based on a sword from 1420-1460. That type of scent-stopper is also mid-to-late 15th century.
Happy

ChadA

Craig Peters

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd second what Chad said. The Sempach is based upon swords found on Austrian knights from the Battle of Sempach in 1389. As you know, Austria was part of Germany such that it was as the Holy Roman Empire. The pommel of the sword dates from between circa 1360-1420, which is a pretty narrow timeline, and within the era that you wanted. Might I also add that the Sempach looks really good with a red grip.

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...-xvii2.htm
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the input fellas. I am indeed looking for a onehanded german XV, without a disc pommel. And thats prob why im having a hard time. But i know its out there in the deep dusty vaults!
The Sempach looks awesome, but wont do me much good this time since its gotta be used with a buckler. Maybe there is a one-hander that looks similar to this somewhere..
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. Stilleborn wrote:
Thanks for the input fellas. I am indeed looking for a onehanded german XV, without a disc pommel. And thats prob why im having a hard time. But i know its out there in the deep dusty vaults!
The Sempach looks awesome, but wont do me much good this time since its gotta be used with a buckler. Maybe there is a one-hander that looks similar to this somewhere..

If you're looking for a single-handed Type XV without a disc pommel, you may search for quite a while. Happy Most of the swords that fit that narrow criteria will be of a later period than you want. Type XVI may be another option for you. Again, though, many non-wheel pommel forms are 15th century and later, not 14th (or they're earlier, etc.).

Happy

ChadA

W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The XVI.3 sword is very nice, and looks quite german.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. Stilleborn wrote:
The XVI.3 sword is very nice, and looks quite german.

Are you talking about his one from our Type XVI spotlight?

If so, it dates from the first half of the 14th century, which pushes it closer to your period. What is your definition of "german-"looking? You mentioned no disc pommel, a "pointy" hilt and a tapered blade.

Happy

ChadA

W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yep, thats the one. Its a little old but very close to the feel i want, if i wouldnt go for a XV that is.
German-looking is a term that streches over all sword-types, and is more a gut-feeling then something specific.
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got hold of this picture, anyone know more about this sword? Any fullsize pictures out there?

Attachment: 45.19 KB
[ Download ]
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. Stilleborn wrote:
Got hold of this picture, anyone know more about this sword? Any fullsize pictures out there?

Do you know what museum collection it's from or where the pic came from?

Happy

ChadA

W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Currently looking into that.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For some reason, I think that last sword pictured is in a museum in Copenhagen (same one as the XVI.3). I can't prove it, though. It just seems like I've read a caption to that effect somewhere.

As far as non-disc pommels during the 14th century go; that in and of itself is going to be a very tall order to fill. I am personally interested in the period 1320 - 1370 (the Battle of Cadzand to the Battle of Lusac Bridge). XVI.3 is the only sword I have encountered that fits in that period and does not have a disc pommel. Obviously by the end of the century there were several more examples.

In order to get what you want, you may have to comission a custom piece or modify an existing one. You may also have to be content to call it one of those "historically feasible" variations.

Just my thoughts on the matter anyway...

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. Stilleborn wrote:

I don't know if it helps, but according to the description the sword is dated to 1300-1360, its find place is unknown, but most likely somewhere in Germany and it is currently in a private Swiss collection.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are you able or at least willing to try a bit of upgrading/customizing?

If so, you might be able to get what you want out of the old MRL English War Sword:

http://www.silvermane.com/swords_english-war.html

It's a pretty cheap way to get an attractive XVIa-ish sword--the poor man's Sempach. It's based on a documented original (the Dublin Civic Sword) and could easily be modified if you want the hexagonal lower section of a true XVIa. You could clip off the ends of the cross if you want more acute ends, but since this piece takes its cues from a known original, I'd leave 'em as-is. This weapon is dated to ca. 1400.

Here's an old thread on this particular replica:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ight=civic

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not planning on doing any costumizing, but thanks for the tip. Im trying to find an original for a custom order. Im almost leaning towards the XVI.3 at the moment, after seeing that superb repro by Jason Dingledine. But hoping to see the full pic of that other XVI before i decide. As far as i might enjoy the XV swords and thinking they are the best-looking individually, i have sort of realized most of them would not fit too good together with a german 14th cen outfit consisting of much splinted-leather-limbs and Visby-type gautlets.
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. Stilleborn wrote:
But hoping to see the full pic of that other XVI before i decide.

As an additional note, the caption also indicates that the forward section of the decayed blade is broken off, so I'm not certain how complete a sword this may be.
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darn, that was the only thing my spotfilled german didnt cover...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Tips wanted; sword fitting a german noble late 14th cen?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: