Help With An Unkown Mace
Not sure how old it is or what exactly it is other then it looks very similar to a mace. The wooden shaft was already cut off when I bought it 15 years ago. Any help would be great.

Attachment: 20.08 KB
Picture-061.jpg

Not 100% sure but it looks like a Japanese weapon used to take into custody roudy drunken Samurai without killing them by tangling the hooks into long sleeved kimonos ( Or whatever those are called ? Same for men as women ??? )

The idea that when arresting their social " better " it was very desirable to not damage them too much as they might be poweful or have powerful friends or family: Sort of the Japanese version of a TAZER in the 17th century or something.

Arresting a Samurai had obvious immediat dangers but the ones doing the arrest would often be of much lower social class and not having done any permanent damage would be a good thing later when the Samurai sobered up!

The photo looks cut off or the shaft may be missing as this would be a pollarm.
+1 on everything he just said.

I'll add though, "Sode-Garami" is the name of it. ;) Good find. I'd be happy with it, but, if it were me, I'd remount it if at all possible. But thats the joy of ownership ;) making it fit your tastes. Wood rots and decays over time, so someone will have to do it at some point. Look into a professional though. The shaft should be between 4'-6' longer I belive. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions/concerns. :)
Europeans used something similar i've seen refered to as a "mancatcher".
Different designs though. This one is iconicly japanese. :D
Alex;

Thanks for the name: I just didn't remember the name and was too lazy to go look it up in one of my books.

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Tue 25 Jul, 2006 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
No problem; its weird what sticks and what dosent.
Thanks for all the great information! I finally know what it is now. Seriously a big thanks to everyone. Going to start looking into getting it properly mounted now. It is just something that has been laying around since I bought it. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: