Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anyone have experience with Macallen Armourers? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jul, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Anyone have experience with Macallen Armourers?         Reply with quote

I purchased a dirk from Iain Macallen years ago, and felt it was decent for the money I paid. The blade and scabbard were nice. The hilt carving was a bit crude, but overall, it was better than any commercially made dirks I have seen and the price was reasonable.

However, I have never purchased a sword from them, and was wondering if anyone here at myArmoury has owned or handled one of their swords. Any comments would be welcome.

Here is the link to their website: http://www.macallenarmourers.com/index.htm

By the way, my interest was in their steel Pinch of Snuff backsword. I was thinking of adding a POS to my collection at some point, and frankly, having a Scottish made sword was appealing to me. It does look like the POS lacks any file work to accentuate the bars, so I realize I may have some finishing work to do if I purchase one.

Regards,
Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

I think that Tod from Rose and Thistle (Lace Wars) has one of those. He is active at the Highlanders and Hanoverians forum, and also he has a website, I think.

The POS which Macallen offers looks great!

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I heard a few years ago that there were some issues with some of their blades, from poor heat treat to cracks. In fairness, this was second hand info from at least 3 years ago.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would also make sure that I knew the weight of the sword before I ordered it.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the input, gentlemen. Since there doesn't seem to be a lot of first hand experience with Macallen Armourers, if I do end up placing an order with them, I be sure to do a write of of my experience and the quality of the sword.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: MacAllen experience         Reply with quote

Dear Chris...... Hate to burst your bubble, but outside of the website, Iain MacAllen hasn't been heard from for quite some time...at least over here. I have emailed him numerous times to absolutely no avail. However, I do have some good news. I was able to find (completely by accident, I assure you) a celtic store here in the US with four of his POS swords in stock. Two were hilted in brass and two in steel. It is a fine sword (obviously I took one of the steel hilts off their hands immediately. The heft and weight is right and the workmanship is one of the best I've ever seen other than the "greats" such as Evans and Erikson, etc. The grip is shagreen with twisted wire. I would frankly say you couldn't go wrong with this sword. Apparently, Iain sold these four a couple of years back and the owner has tried several times to find him but he is not listed in the Scottish directory of handicrafters any longer so whereabouts are unknown. If you will PM me, I will give you details. Regards......George Osborne
"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anyone have experience with Macallen Armourers?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic