Where to find gussets?
I've seen depictions and descriptions of mail gussets and even re-enactors wearing them, but I've not found an armorer who sells them.

Any suggestions?

P.S. Same with mail faulds, any sources?

Thanks
Huh, used to be able to get them from Historic Enterprises, but now I'm not finding them on the site...

http://www.historicenterprises.com/

(edited to put CORRECT website link)
The simple thing to do is mail the good people at HE and ask. they won't bite much and are very friendly
You mean like these

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

The left voider is pointed on now.

I ordered these from Get Dressed for Battle in the UK. http://www.gdfb.co.uk/
Thanks
I'd perused the GDFB site earlier and been impressed but, apparently, had missed the gussetts. Those are exactly what I was looking for.
Follow-up question on gussets:

They appear to require a large number of points to attach. Which seems . . . 'inconvenient'. Are there other period means of attaching them and/or do they need to be removed after each use?
I used waxed linen thread and a curved carpet needle and sewed mine on, attaching about every sixth ring.
ive seen most people jsut sew them on
I pointed mine on as I want to be able to take them off and clean. I joust in this harness so I get very sweaty as well as getting covered in horse sweat. Being able to just undo the points and clean the mail is a must.

I don't take it off all the time. Often it just needs a wipe over with the olive oil/beeswax mix that I use on all my harness and leather.
Rod Walker wrote:
Often it just needs a wipe over with the olive oil/beeswax mix that I use on all my harness and leather.

Olive oil and beeswax ? Sounds interesting, but I don't want to highjack this thread: It might be interesting learning more about this and how you maintain your armour. Maybe you could start a topic about it ?
Could I see some more pictures of the gussets (if you have them)? I'm going to start on some for myself (not rivetted) and I'm in the patterning stage (and the finding time stage).

Thanks in advance,
Joe
They are also called "voiders" which might yield better searches both here and on the net.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: