Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Are They Sharp? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Larry Lim

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Are They Sharp?         Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking set to purchase the Hanwei Edward III and/or the Hanwei Hand & A Half/Albrecht II Sword... Any idea if these come sharpened? The edges, I mean...

Anyone has any info on these?

Many thanks in advance.
Larry
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Are They Sharp?         Reply with quote

Larry Lim wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking set to purchase the Hanwei Edward III and/or the Hanwei Hand & A Half/Albrecht II Sword... Any idea if these come sharpened? The edges, I mean...

Anyone has any info on these?

Many thanks in advance.
Larry

I have the Hanwei Hand & A Half/Albrecht II Sword and it is VERY sharp if you get the more expensive functional one. I imagine the Edward III sword is similar.
Larry Lim

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: ~Thanks         Reply with quote

O no! That's not good news for me cos I'll have problems with our local Customs Authorities :-(
They are rather particular with sharp swords/sword-like objects... esp. during this period **disappt**

Many thanks for the timely feedback,
Larry
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Larry,

Really? Thats sad. I would ask where you live but likely could not help anyways. They do come sharp indeed, I sold Hanwai and CAS swords in the past. They have a practical version of the Albrecht II though if that helps (it is even cheaper!).

Randall
Larry Lim

PostPosted: Tue 15 Aug, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: RE:         Reply with quote

Hi Randall,

I'm from Singapore...

I would like to know more abt the Practical Albrect II you mentioned. Thanks~

Larry
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Tue 15 Aug, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Larry,

HMMMMM???? never sent anything there before... Here is the info I can find on the practical ones.

http://www.casiberia.com/cas/productsearch.as...l%20Series

the item itself:

http://www.casiberia.com/cas/product_details.asp?id=SH2106

I sold 20 something of these to one group and they still are going strong from what I have heard. Usually you need to round the corners of the blunts but apart from they they have held up well.

RPM
Larry Lim

PostPosted: Tue 15 Aug, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: RE: ~Thanks         Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt posting, Randall..

Honestly, I much prefer the version with the "Lion Rampant" emblem on the pommel... and with the matching colored scabbard, these all made the sword simple yet elegant looking... Hmm.. gut feeling is that I may get thru' it by using certain 'authorized' courier such as Fedex, UPS or DHL... I am tempted to take a risk :-)

Larry
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Tue 15 Aug, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: RE: ~Thanks         Reply with quote

Larry Lim wrote:
Thanks for the prompt posting, Randall..

Honestly, I much prefer the version with the "Lion Rampant" emblem on the pommel... and with the matching colored scabbard, these all made the sword simple yet elegant looking... Hmm.. gut feeling is that I may get thru' it by using certain 'authorized' courier such as Fedex, UPS or DHL... I am tempted to take a risk :-)

Larry

Larry, I would suggest you look into Del Tin instead. Italy has some strict laws, if I recall correctly, that state that swords produced there can't be sharp either. This isn't always desireable for us in the US, but it might work out well for you where you live now.

Regards,

Bryce Felpein
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Tue 15 Aug, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have dealt with Del Tin as well. They do come unsharpened from what my sales info from them says but they can be sharpened and he is a great man to deal with to boot. I have handled a number of his swords and I have liked them all. In the end it is up to you and what your government will let you get away with. Good luck,

Randall
Larry Lim

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: RE: Unsharpen Sword         Reply with quote

Thanks for the informative postings, Randall & Bryce...

Much appreciated.

Larry
Hal Siegel
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: RE:         Reply with quote

Larry Lim wrote:

I'm from Singapore...

Howdy, Larry.

Just noticed this discussion and thought I'd poke my head in for a quick answer. Folks have already answered your sword questions (both sharp, the Albrecht II/Austrian long does have a blunt version). What I wanted to mention is that the biggest problem with sending longswords from the US to Singapore is the 42" package length our post offices limit shipments to. It makes getting longswords to Singapore quite the pain. UPS and FedEx are other options, but note that they're quite pricey. The Edward III sword is 42 1/2" long, so it's also hard to ship to Singapore (or Australia or Estonia - the other two countries I've found that have the annoying 42" package restriction).

Hal Siegel - TherionArms
http://www.therionarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/TherionArms
Larry Lim

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info., Hal..

It's really regretful that I'm unable to get hold of the Hanwei Hand-and-a-Half Albrecht II ... Yea, I'm aware it has a blunt practical 'cousin', but it's not as elegant as the former :-(

Perhaps that's life....
Christopher Blakey

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Larry,

Chris here from PHEMAS. Send an email through to Caesar's as they have a supply deal with Hanwei and can order and bring in your sword so you don't have to go through the hassle. It's much easier than going through A&E yourself.

Yes, the 42" thing is a pain. We buy lots of odds and ends from Hal but if we want longswords then we'd have to fork out big bucks for shipping. I got an Angus Trim recently that cost US$100 (S$157) in shipping alone. Sad
Larry Lim

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hanwei Albrecht Hand-and-a-half         Reply with quote

Hi Chris! Nice to hear from 'ya again :-) An online stores in States actually quoted me 78USD for shipping the a/m via FedEx (fully insured), & FedEx will bring the sword for A&E inspection, so that took care of the hassals; Not a bad price, huh :-) the only problem is the sharp edges of the sword, which I'm unsure if the S'pore A&E will confiscate/approve it :-(

You have a gd sugg. there, Chris... but I'm not sure how much they'll mark up the price :-p

Cheers,
Larry
Christopher Blakey

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had nothing but trouble with Fedex. The tend to sit on it and do nothing for about 5 days or untill you start hassling them. They don't call you or anything. Even when you call them they refuse to do anything. Then, when you annoy them enough they take it down to A&E and dump it there. You have to go and collect it yourself. So much for door to door service. Once, the parcel cleared customs without trouble and the Fedex guys sent it back to customs and told them to check it again so it was lost for another week.

I've had three imports through them and all three times it's been the same story. They might be good in the US but they stink internationally. Once, I sent a gift to my father in Australia and they hit me with an extra $250 import duties after it'd sat in their warehouse in Australia for a week without them notifying anyone. I complained and customer service told me to shove off. I complained to their accounts department and they were very helpfull and launched an investigation. They eventually found that I'd be charged the import duties on the whole crate and not just my little parcel. Then they sent the refund cheque to my father not to me. Sad

UPS on the other hand are very efficient and helpfull. Even though I've only used them twice, it's been good news both times.

BTW: Don't forget to tell A&E that the sword is a display piece for decoration only. They are easier with that. You'll have to pay the $14 import licence fees of course but it should be OK. Be nice to them. Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Are They Sharp?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic