Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Best length of grip for a longsword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Mike West

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Best length of grip for a longsword?         Reply with quote

Most production longswords seem to have grips of 7"-8". It would seem that a longer grip, say, 10" would give the sword better handling characteristics (such as control), especially with a long blade (35"-40".)

I have an old MRL Del TIn(38" blade) as my only example and, while my hands fit on the 7" grip, I often find myself gripping the pommel as it feels much better. Bill Grandy's recent article mentioned one medieval sword teacher's advice about not gripping the pommel. A 10" grip would improve things, I think.

Why don't we see more such blades with longer grips? Was such a length historical? Would a 10" grip change the way a sword is used for cutting, or German swordsmanship, than a 7" grip?

Thank you.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
Grip length is really just personal preference. There are historical swords with longer grips and ones with shorter ones. Some masters gripped the pommel, some didn't. I personally grip the pommel, and like a reasonably long grip, but the very long ones feel funny to me. Some of my students prefer the really long ones.

If a 10" grip feels right to you, then that's probably what you should use. It doesn't inherently give better handling characteristics, though it does change the feel. The leverage may be better, though it may also sacrifice some cutting ability as well. What's more important, though, is how it relates to the rest of the sword: If we over analyze one aspect of the sword alone, we tend to ignore more important aspects.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Mike West

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Thanks.         Reply with quote

The 7" grip on mine doesn't seem to give me enough control over the blade, especially when I have commited to a cut.
I just cut and, the blade has to move in the direction it was sent. Recovering seems to be kind of tough until the blade has completed it's arc. Things change for the better when I grip the pommel. My hands are in a hemmer grip when gripping the handle alone, but I have more of a handshake grip when I use the pommel.

Since the grip and, pommel together make about 9.5" in length, I was thinking that a longer grip would be better.

Your article is the only thing I have to go by for the German school. I've printed it and, use it for backyard drills.

The passing of the feet seems to be necessary when cutting with such a large sword (nearly 4 lb's.)
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just to say that long grip isn't anything wrong. Happy I use 10 to 12 inches grip on both my personal longsword. I also grip the pommel. I have friends who prefer shorter grip or not gripping the pommel. Well as long as they can do the same outcome, why not?
Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the sword you have specifically, but it's possible it has more to do with the sword overall than the grip specifically. I don't know.

But if you feel more comfortable gripping the pommel, then definately do so. The master quoted in the article, Doebringer, is claiming that having the hands closer gives a more powerful cut. But it is clear from many illustrations that other master thought gripping the pommel to be more helpful.

I find that swords with short grips make me want to grip the pommel, swords with long grips make me want to grip the handle. There are certain swords that feel more comfortable with something that shifts in between these grips. Overall it's just a matter for what feels right for a particular sword and a particular user.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way, swords of Oakeshott Type XVIIIb have exceptionally long grips--11" or 12". So, 10" is certainly historically plausible, especially for 15th c. German longswords. See Dόrer images for historic examples of these long grips.

Type XVIII spotlight: http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_spotxviii.html

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jφrg W.

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I only got a wheel pommel sword and it feels comfortable to grip the pommel with techniques that require a gab between the hands. But are there any pommel types that aren't good to be gripped so that longer grips are preferred? i think about type V.

And to add something else on the subject, I think that a too long grip might be a handicap for some sword techniques. Especially one hand techniques and halfswording should change with longer grips. Sometimes it is suggested that the length of the grip should be matter of the users forearm and hand size. i'm not sure if the usual preference of long grips represents the history. Maybe we just don't know enough about the handling yet or some of us (including me) just didn't handled enough good (longer grip preferred with misbalanced pieces?) swords yet.
Mike West

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: My sword         Reply with quote

The sword I currently have has the same blade as the Del Tin 2146, and has a different pommel and cross guard. It probably handles the same. The MRL version was sold by them in the 1980's and, is in some of the very original catalogs.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At the other extreme I find that with the Tritonia which has a fairly short one-handed grip, the round pommel is easy to grip and could be used twohanded in a pinch. This is tempting since the blade of the Tritonia is Big and long enough that it wouldn't be out of place combined with an 8" or 9" handle.

I could say the same thing for the Gaddhjalt to a degree but the pommel of the Tritonia is more comfortable and easy to grab.
On the other hand the handle of the Gaddhjalt is a bit longer and if one fingers the guard a " crowded " twohanded hold is possible.

In general the 8" to 9" grips seem best for the hand and a half type swords giving the most adaptability for one or two handed use.

With the really big swords with blades over 45" long a longer handle seems better to me, at least with my limited to waving a sword in the air in front of me experience. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

There are historical swords with longer grips and ones with shorter ones.

A valid point, Bill, but let me counter with another one-- how many longswords, from Type XVa onward, actually sported long grips?

I was under the impression that a grip length of longer than 7" was very rare on most types of cut-and-thrust longswords, hence the dominant presence of such lengths in the current reproduction market.

For those who have the info, I would be curious to know what the mean and median are in the archaelogical record, from 1375 (the birth of the Liechtenauer system) through the 16th century.

And I can't help but pose the following question-- if the mean and median turn out to be shorter than we are comfortable with, then I just have to ask-- are we mis-interpreting something in the basics of technique?

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another complication in all of this, ...
the techniques that many of us relate to are based on combat on foot. I have a totally different preference for a longsword grip to be used primarily one handed (mounted with reins in one hand) versus a foot combat situation where two hands is a viable option. A 10 to 12 inch (250 to 200 mm long) grip is very uncomfortable for test cutting or drilling one handed.

What background do most surviving German swords studied have? Are they surviving swords of knights who fought mounted, or infantry / dueling swords? A large number of castles and smaller armories (from hill regions where mounted combat was not known decisively as the dominant form of combat) were essentially emptied during WWII. What one sees in tourists exhibits along the Rhine today are typically specimens from somewhere else. In contrast, Danish blades speculated to have been made in Germany, often seem to have relatively long grips.

I realize I am not offering a clarification. Possibly Peter Johnson or someone very familiar with background of surviving swords could though.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
Bill Grandy wrote:

There are historical swords with longer grips and ones with shorter ones.

A valid point, Bill, but let me counter with another one-- how many longswords, from Type XVa onward, actually sported long grips?

I think you're right about the surviving examples, but we shouldn't assume those are the only types used in the manuscript. After all, the artforms are meant to be near universal, not just for specific blade types.

Also, if you look at some of the Renaissance longsword material, many are illustrated with practice swords that have pretty long grips. And unlike the medieval manuscripts, the later period illustrations tend to be more accurate with issues such as scale and perspective. I really do think we shouldn't focus too much on the "perfect" sizes, so long as they aren't extreme.

Attachment: 21.41 KB
longgrips.jpg

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
Another complication in all of this, ...
the techniques that many of us relate to are based on combat on foot. I have a totally different preference for a longsword grip to be used primarily one handed (mounted with reins in one hand) versus a foot combat situation where two hands is a viable option. A 10 to 12 inch (250 to 200 mm long) grip is very uncomfortable for test cutting or drilling one handed.

What background do most surviving German swords studied have? Are they surviving swords of knights who fought mounted, or infantry / dueling swords? A large number of castles and smaller armories (from hill regions where mounted combat was not known decisively as the dominant form of combat) were essentially emptied during WWII. What one sees in tourists exhibits along the Rhine today are typically specimens from somewhere else. In contrast, Danish blades speculated to have been made in Germany, often seem to have relatively long grips.

I realize I am not offering a clarification. Possibly Peter Johnson or someone very familiar with background of surviving swords could though.

Well, I'm not about to speak for the archeological record, but from the side of the fencing manuscripts, many of the manuals are divided into sections that include fighting from horseback (what is referred to as rossfechten in the German tradition). The artform itself is supposed to be fluid enough that you should in theory be able to fight with a multitude of different swords or other weapons under the same principles.

That said, I agree that certain swords will lend themselves better to mounted combat, and some to foot combat, and that these sorts of things need to be kept in mind when evaluating one's personal "perfect" sword.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

David Martin

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let me preface this post by saying that I'm greatly hindered in my lack of knowledge of formal and established sword fighting techniques using "real" swords. My experience comes from wasters of various designs and mediums and unconventional sparring with said weapons.

I found over the years that grip length was a better determinant of my success in combat than blade length. I started out using wasters of conventional longsword dimensions and gradually found myself shortening the blade and lengthening the grip. As an extreme example, I made a waster with a 24" blade and a 12" handle. It looked ridiculous, but it was brutally effective, at least against the fellows I was sparring with in my early college days.

I think the main advantage was the increased leverage I obtained using the long-handled swords. When fighting an opponent with a longer blade, I'd assume a defensive position and wait for an opportunity to engage his sword and use my increased leverage to manipulate/control his blade, or to simply jump inside my opponent's defense and take advantage of his limited mobility.

The only substantial disadvantage I found when using a sword with a long grip was when I attempted to grip it with one hand. Hands were a common target when we fought (the old "skip over the guard and smash the knuckles ploy") and I found the long-handled swords very unweildy in situations in which one of my hands had been badly rapped and I was forced to fight with one.

I have been advised that fighting with "real" swords is significantly different, and I although I have yet to confirm or deny this assertion, my hunch is that the laws of physics aren't going to change just because the weapon is steel instead of wood.

If anyone has the opportunity to test and determine if my experiences hold true with "real" swords, I'd be very interested in reading the results.

Best wishes,

David

"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Martin wrote:
I have been advised that fighting with "real" swords is significantly different, and I although I have yet to confirm or deny this assertion, my hunch is that the laws of physics aren't going to change just because the weapon is steel instead of wood.

Hi David,
It's not so much that the wood handles differently than steel (although it does), but moreso to the fact that friendly fencing can't allow for many factors of real fighting. For instance, if you're playing to any light touch, your techniques will be affected by that. If you're playing to only accept hard hits, your techniques will affected by that too. Another aspect is the fact that the sword doesn't really cut into your partner, and that affects things too. Did your sword make a superficial wound and the opponent kept fighting? Was it incapacitating? Did the clothing absorb most of the cut, but you still struck with some serious blunt impact? Who knows? Bottom line is that any form of fencing, if judged only on it's own merits, tells a very distorted story, and if used on it's own can't give an accurate picture.

On the other hand, fencing combined with historical evidence can start giving a broader understanding of why certain things were done the way they were.

It's clear that there were plenty of grip lengths historically, from short to long, so we can't say that long grips were necessarily better. I fence with swords that have a moderate grip length, and find too long a grip gets in the way for me personally. I have one student who loves really long grips with relatively short blades. I have one who loves really short grips. So I really believe that we shouldn't worry too much about an overall perfect grip length, or even perfect handling characteristics, because it depends on so many factors, especially personal preference.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

I think you're right about the surviving examples, but we shouldn't assume those are the only types used in the manuscript. After all, the artforms are meant to be near universal, not just for specific blade types.

Also, if you look at some of the Renaissance longsword material, many are illustrated with practice swords that have pretty long grips. And unlike the medieval manuscripts, the later period illustrations tend to be more accurate with issues such as scale and perspective. I really do think we shouldn't focus too much on the "perfect" sizes, so long as they aren't extreme.

You present an excellent point, but you haven't quite answered my question-- if grip length was based on personal preference alone, then the grip lengths would be all over the map. While I guess you could say they are, I am still under the impression that 6.5" to 7.5" seems to be the dominant length. If I am correct, I think it would be important to determine why this was strongly-preferred. If it isn't for the sake of technique, could it be cultural? Perhaps a long sword grip gave the impression that one was... *ah-hem*... "compensating" for something? Wink

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
David Martin

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

Hi David,
It's not so much that the wood handles differently than steel (although it does), but moreso to the fact that friendly fencing can't allow for many factors of real fighting. For instance, if you're playing to any light touch, your techniques will be affected by that. If you're playing to only accept hard hits, your techniques will affected by that too. Another aspect is the fact that the sword doesn't really cut into your partner, and that affects things too. Did your sword make a superficial wound and the opponent kept fighting? Was it incapacitating? Did the clothing absorb most of the cut, but you still struck with some serious blunt impact? Who knows? Bottom line is that any form of fencing, if judged only on it's own merits, tells a very distorted story, and if used on it's own can't give an accurate picture.

On the other hand, fencing combined with historical evidence can start giving a broader understanding of why certain things were done the way they were.

It's clear that there were plenty of grip lengths historically, from short to long, so we can't say that long grips were necessarily better. I fence with swords that have a moderate grip length, and find too long a grip gets in the way for me personally. I have one student who loves really long grips with relatively short blades. I have one who loves really short grips. So I really believe that we shouldn't worry too much about an overall perfect grip length, or even perfect handling characteristics, because it depends on so many factors, especially personal preference.

Well said, Sir. I think your points are excellent. To clarify, my intent wasn't to promote the virtues of long grips for all, but to express my preference for them. With all of the permutations available on the basic sword, I would expect that personal preferences contributed to some of this variation.

Just curious: Have you noticed any sort of correlation between fighting technique (preferences within a particular fighting style) and preferred grip length?

"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
Myrick J. Hethington

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello sirs:
I have been following the conversation and I very new when it comes to swords in general.Think that a swords hilt length is and was determined by the bodily purportions of the swordsman and that the reason there seems to be a trend in hilt length is becauseof body size being that most swordsmen and men in general were of the same stature(height,weigth length of arm.ect.)along whith the differences in hilt length being a matter of strength, preference,and personal ability.Not leaving out the ocasional big man.but my knowledge and experience is limited.

Forever undefeated is the ever moving mind.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
You present an excellent point, but you haven't quite answered my question--

That's because I can't. Big Grin I really don't know what the archeological statistics are. But even if we measured every single grip length of every longsword that we have, it only tells us the stats for surviving sword grips. We don't know if that's representative or not. For example, we don't have many surviving falchions, but we can't conclude that they weren't used often, because pictoral evidence shows otherwise.

Quote:
While I guess you could say they are, I am still under the impression that 6.5" to 7.5" seems to be the dominant length.

But do we know this for certain? That's an honest question.

Quote:
If I am correct, I think it would be important to determine why this was strongly-preferred. If it isn't for the sake of technique, could it be cultural? Perhaps a long sword grip gave the impression that one was... *ah-hem*... "compensating" for something? Wink

Happy

I would suspect that it has more to do with what Jared brought up, that many longswords needed the versatility to be used from horseback as well as foot. But that's pure speculation.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Martin wrote:
Just curious: Have you noticed any sort of correlation between fighting technique (preferences within a particular fighting style) and preferred grip length?

Not really, no. Once upon a time I used to think that to practice the Liechtenauer style you needed a longer grip, but I've long since decided that was an incorrect assumption. Give me a 6" grip, an 8", and a 12" grip, and I can more or less do the same techniques with only the slightlest adjustments based on the different lengths. Certain things are more natural with a longer grip (such as things that require "snapping" motions of the hands), certain things are easier with a shorter grip (such as power generation), but these are things that still work well across the board regardless.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Best length of grip for a longsword?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: