Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cervilets (sp?) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Steven H

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jul, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Cervilets (sp?)         Reply with quote

I've seen mention of cervilets (with a variety of spellings) being worn under greathelms. But I've been unable to find additional info or pictures.

Anyone have more information they could provide?
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jul, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

think of a bassinet or a skull helm (steel bowl). most effiegies have men with basseinets on while resting their heads on the great helms
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jul, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The term you're looking for is cervelliere. It's a progenitor of the bascinet and is a simple steel skullcap. These were often worn under the coif, which gives the knight a weird swollen-headed look. Please see here for a little more info.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jul, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Be careful with this. I do not think all knights with greathelms wore an under helmet. In some of the equipment lists I have gone through indicates this. On the other hand it is very definate it happened. It is clear in a picture from the Luttrel Psalter circa 1320-50 (depending on who you believe, I tend closer to 1320.) In the 13th century I have found very few references to this so I somewhat think it may be a very limited phase of progress between great helm to bascient. Perhaps like the chains attached from 'plates' or breastplate to the helm, sword, dagger etc and alliettes, another quick step in the world of armour (although debatable if the alliet is really armour).
It is also possible that the greathelm was tossed off in battle and this skull cap was what was worn for view and ventilation. I do not think the helmets the knight's are laying their heads, (great helmet) in their effigies are evidence they were used in war at this time as this is done into the 15th century and after with tournement helmets not war helmets, helmets that had been totally abandoned except tournements in the late 14th and 15th centuries. I assume the helmet under The Black Princes head for example is a tourney helmet and in war he'd have a nice visored bascinet. By 1360's it would seem very likely. It seems likely that was always the case as far as effigy helmets under the knights head as well. It is possible in the Luttrell Psalter it is the knight going to Tourney not war but that is just another possibility. I can scrounge up some pictures if you like but I'd need an email to send it to.

Randall
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
The term you're looking for is cervelliere. It's a progenitor of the bascinet and is a simple steel skullcap. These were often worn under the coif, which gives the knight a weird swollen-headed look. Please see here for a little more info.

In the maciowski bible, they are worn on top of the coif as well. When they take of the coif, they put the helmet back on their heads...
A nice example of this:

13th century cervilets appears to be smaller and simple than the later ones, beeing nothing more than a skullcap.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cervilets (sp?)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic