Iron
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Aluminum
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 26

Aluminum Sword
Now, I want to have an aluminum sword because I've read that they are the best practicing swords. But I don't know whether I should buy a sword or I should make one. Which one would be more cost affective? Or should I go with a different metal. All thoughts are welcome on this subject.
Abigail-
Welcome to the site and thanks for posting!

For some background info and some thoughts beyond just the swords actually being reviewed, I'd encourage anybody interested in training weapons to read these reviews:

[ Linked Image ]
Arms & Armor Fechterspiel Sword
A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

[ Linked Image ]
Arms & Armor Fechtbuch Sword
A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

[ Linked Image ]
Arms & Armor Spada da Zogho Sword
A hands-on review by Pamela Muir
One problem with an aluminum blade is that if you use it to spar with a steel sword, the aluminum one will be heavilly damaged. Perhaps it would be best to have one of each.

Here is another place to fine blunt steel practice swords: http://www.angustrimdirect.com/practiceswordhome.htm
Re: Aluminum Sword
Hi Abilgail,
You're going to have to ask yourself a few questions before you get started. First of all, what is this sword for? Martial arts training? Stage combat? Also, who are you going to be using these against? Steel and aluminum weapons don't mix, as the steel with damage the aluminum blade. If you're training with a group who uses all aluminum, you'll need aluminum. If you're training with a group that uses all steel, you'll need steel. Some groups (such as my own) have people who use a mix, (and I have a couple loaners in case people don't have the right match ups) and in that case you'll need to talk with the group to find out which makes the most sense to buy first. My opinion is that students really should train with a steel sword at some point in the long run, but aluminum is still by far a much cheaper alternative considering that you can get a good quality one for at least half the price of a quality steel blunt.

As for making a sword, do you have any practical experience doing so? I ask because it's not an easy thing, and if your only goal is to save money, you're better off buying one. If you have the knack for it, or just want to do it for the sake of learning, then by all means, go for it. It just probably won't be much cheaper than buying one.

By the way, I disagree that aluminum is the best training sword. It mostly depends on who's making the weapon, but a high quality steel blunt is a little more realistic (assuming it's made right, and many are made very poorly). The draw back is that a well made steel blunt is very expensive, whereas a well made aluminum blunt is still an excellent option but much cheaper.
The other option to consider is this:
http://www.myArmoury.com/review_sc_wast.html

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: