Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > NEW Bookstore features Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
How about a way to organize your wish list perhaps alphabetically or by subject?

Nathan addressed part of this above:

Quote:
I may add sorting options to the lists: by title, date added/updated, etc.

As for sorting by subject, I'd think that would assume that they had been assigned a subject by Amazon and that that designation made sense.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
How about a way to organize your wish list perhaps alphabetically or by subject?

Lists are now able to be displayed sorted by date updated (default) or by title.

Sortin by subject is not feasible.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A brand-new Book Suggestion feature has been added that picks personalized suggestions by comparing the items on your reading list and your wish list to the activity of other myArmoury.com members and customers of Amazon.com.

The calculations are fairly complex and the results are often surprising. I found many books suggested to me that I would have never found.

For each suggestion, the system shows the reasoning behind why each selection was made. Connections to other books already on your lists are shown. Many titles jumped out that I had not really considered until the connections were shown to me.

Only items that you don't already own are suggested to you. You can choose to hide items already found on your wish list or have them listed in case you'd like to get an idea of just how on-target your wish list items really are. Any item suggested can be removed from further suggestions simply by marking it as excluded.

The more items your lists contain, the more suggestions you get and the better suited they are to you and your personal tastes. I have many items on my lists (over 240), and this gives me over 800 book suggestions!

How does this work?

The system uses social networking technology to compare data found in other member's lists sharing common titles to you. The reading and wish lists define what is of interest to each member. By looking at these lists as a whole, we start to get a look into each person's tastes and are able to contrast them with our own. Commonalities manifest themselves into recommendations. We can grade these commonalities based on how "separated" they are from us and let this grade weigh how relevant any resulting suggestions may be.

The data is based on people and their interests. Because of the eclectic interests of others, the results aren't always going to be spot-on to your tastes. Or are they? This is the interesting part: Social networking allows us to broaden our interests by exposing us to the complexities of others of like-mind.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a cool addition to the Bookstore, Nathan. I just added some things to my wishlist based on the recommendations/suggestions. The mad scientist strikes again! Happy
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
That's a cool addition to the Bookstore, Nathan. I just added some things to my wishlist based on the recommendations/suggestions. The mad scientist strikes again! Happy

The more you add to your wishlist, the more your suggestions will be affected. It's a vicious cycle!

Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What a great feature. I just added 4 more books to my wish list.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With the re-release of the myArmoury.com bookstore, even I got reintroduced to it as if it's new. It's weird to say this since I developed it, but even I'm surprised at the complexity of the features and functionality of our bookstore. I can't believe I made this thing!

It really is a great resource. I've been an avid collector of books relating to arms and armour for many, may years. I truly believe this is the greatest resource for the subject on the 'net. Adding to the valuable data it provides, it has some really great features that aren't anywhere else for our community.

I wanted to bump this topic because it talks about a lot of the newer features of the bookstore. In particular, I wanted to bring attention to the Book Suggestion mechanism that uses social networking algorithms. This system looks at the book tastes of other members and compares them to your own, suggesting titles to you based on commonalities. I just went through some of the books that the store suggested to me and found all kinds of really neat titles I hadn't even considered!

Very cool stuff.

For fun, listed below are just some of the over 900 suggested titles the system gave to me based on the titles in my reading list and wish list. I have a lot of books in my lists so the system is able to make a ton of recommendations to me. The more books in your lists, the more data it can crunch and spit out suggested reading to you!

1. Sigmund Ringeck's Knightly Art of the Longsword (100%-- 75 weight, 47 count)
2. Codex Wallerstein: A Medieval Fighting Book from the Fifteenth Century on the Longsword, ... (60% -- 45 weight, 29 count)
3. Techniques of Medieval Armour Reproduction: The 14th Century (49%-- 37 weight, 25 count)
4. German Medieval Armies 1300-1500 (Men-at-Arms) (47% -- 35 weight, 24 count)
5. Armies of the Crusades (Men at Arms Series, 75) (45% --34 weight, 29 count)
6. Hungary and the Fall of Eastern Europe 1000-1568 (Men-at-Arms) (40%-- 30 weight, 24 count)
7. Sigmund Ringeck's Knightly Arts of Combat: Sword and Buckler Fighting, Wrestling, andFighting ... (40% -- 30 weight, 15 count)
8. Italian Medieval Swordsmanship: Flos Duellatorum of Fiore De Liberi, Interpretations (37% -- 28 weight, 13 count)
9. Mounted Archers of the Steppe 600 BC-AD 1300 (Elite) (37%-- 28 weight, 25 count)
10. Liechtenauer's Art of the Longsword, Vol. 1 (35% -- 26 weight, 25 count)
11. Secret History of the Sword, The (35% -- 26 weight, 20 count)
12. Teaching & Interpreting Historical Swordsmanship (35%-- 26 weight, 19 count)
13. English Swordsmanship: The True Fight of George Silver (33%-- 25 weight, 17 count)
14. By the Sword: A History of Gladiators, Musketeers, Samurai, Swashbucklers, and Olympic ...(32% -- 24 weight, 24 count)
15. Complete Bladesmith: Forging Your Way To Perfection (32%-- 24 weight, 16 count)
16. English Medieval Knight 1200-1300 (Warrior) (31% -- 23 weight, 19 count)
17. Old Sword-Play (31% -- 23 weight, 17 count)
18. Romano-Byzantine Armies 4th-9th Centuries (Men-at-Arms) (31%-- 23 weight, 21 count)
19. Codex Wallerstein: A Medieval Fighting Book from the Fifteenth Century on the Longsword, ... (29% -- 22 weight, 11 count)
20. Techniques Of Medieval Armour Reproduction: The 14th Century (29%-- 22 weight, 11 count)
21. Fighting With The Quarterstaff (28% -- 21 weight, 15 count)
22. Master Bladesmith: Advanced Studies In Steel (28%-- 21 weight, 15 count)
23. Art of Combat: A German Martial Arts Treatise of 1570, The (27%-- 20 weight, 10 count)
24. Duellists Companion: A training manual for 17th century Italian rapier (27% -- 20 weight, 9 count)
25. Knight Hospitaller(1): 1100-1306 (Warrior) (27% -- 20 weight, 16 count)
26. Saladin and the Saracens (Men-at-Arms) (27% -- 20 weight,17 count)
27. Poitiers 1356: The Capture Of A King (Campaign) (25% --19 weight, 15 count)
28. Sword Fighting Basics (25% -- 19 weight, 19 count)
29. Armies of the German Peasants' War 1524-26 (Men-at-Arms) (24%-- 18 weight, 14 count)
30. Crusader Castlesin the Holy Land 1097-1192 (Fortress) (24%-- 18 weight, 16 count)
31. Mamluks 1250-1517 (Men-at-Arms), The (24% -- 18 weight, 15 count)
32. Swords and Daggers: An Illustrated Handbook (24% --18 weight, 6 count)
33. Towton 1461: England's bloodiest battle (Campaign) (23%-- 17 weight, 14 count)
34. Kalka River 1223: Genghiz Khan's Mongols invade Russia (Campaign) (21% -- 16 weight, 15 count)
35. Martial Arts of Renaissance Europe, The (21% -- 16 weight, 6 count)
36. Armies of Crecy and Poitiers (Men-At-Arms Series, No 111) (20%-- 15 weight, 10 count)
37. Armies of the Muslim Conquest (Men-at-Arms) (20% -- 15 weight, 12 count)
38. Knight Templar 1120-1312 (Warrior) (20% -- 15 weight, 14 count)
39. Saxon, Viking and Norman (Men at Arms Series, 85) (20%-- 15 weight, 11 count)
40. Arms and Armour: Traditional Weapons of India (19% -- 14 weight, 9 count)

Without getting into a complex explanation of how this list is calculated, please simply note that the percentage is the relevance (or "quality") of the suggestion, the "count" is the number of titles that influenced the suggestion, and the "weight" is the result of an algorithm that weighs the source of the influential titles (Is a direct influence? Is it one title removed? Is it from Amazon.com's suggestions? is it a result of other myArmoury.com members and their lists? etc.)

Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: bookstore         Reply with quote

Nathan,

Much thanks for all of your hard work!. Can the best get better? Apparently so....

Regards,
Dan
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you so much!!!

To try to match your effort - even if in just a relatively minor way - I added 9 more book reviews to my reading list. Thanks again, tr

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > NEW Bookstore features
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: