Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My latest project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Jackson

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: My latest project         Reply with quote

Hi there,
I've lurked on this site for quite awhile now but never posted anything. I'm a pretty low level collector but would like to do more if finances allowed. Anyway here are some pictures of a scabbard I just made for my first sword. The sword is a small Toledo wall hanger but it was my first. My parents bought it for me when I was 12-13. It used to have a cast pot metal cross guard and pommel but the cross guard broke so for years I had a sword with half a hilt. As skills and access to tools improved I compleatly redid the hilt to what it is now. I recently gave the sword to my son (he is 10), who wasn't too keen on the ratty old scabbard I had it in. So I made a new one with his name, Iain, in runes on it. He seemed quite happy with the result, so I though I'd share. Please excuse the quality of my cheap camera and lousy camera work.

Dave

Attachment: 56.11 KB
Iain's sword 003.jpg

Attachment: 55.61 KB
Iain's sword 002.jpg

Attachment: 55.61 KB
Iain's sword 004.jpg

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well done, David. I so-o-o admire people who can actually do things with their hands!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Ken Rankin

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David,

That is great work! It looks good to me, your son is very lucky that his dad would do so much for him.

Ken
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice. How did you fashion the pommel and cross guard?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jul, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good work David, and nice to see you're getting your son started early. Happy And it's also nice to see another Canuck on the forum. Welcome!
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jul, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And let me say, there is nothing cooler to an 11 year old than a sword of your own! My dad gave me a ratty old wall hanger that'd been sitting in our shed for decades when I was around that age. The blade was essentially a piece of rectangular metal sawn into the vague shape of a blade, blunt as a crowbar, and completely covered with rust and corrosion from some 30 years of sitting in a shed. And I was the happiest kid in the world because of it. Happy (spent months trying to clean it, too!)

So congratulations to your son! I hope he enjoys it!

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
David Jackson

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. As for the making of the hilt and pommel, When I first started dating my wife I discovered that her father had a great selection of tools. He had both a woodwork shop and a metal working shop as well. One of the cooler items he had was a milling machine. It was this that I used to shape the hilt from flat brass bar stock. The pomme was just a slice of round bar stock. Not terribly complicated just time intensive.

Dave J
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jul, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Jackson wrote:
Thanks for the response. As for the making of the hilt and pommel, When I first started dating my wife I discovered that her father had a great selection of tools. He had both a woodwork shop and a metal working shop as well. One of the cooler items he had was a milling machine. It was this that I used to shape the hilt from flat brass bar stock. The pomme was just a slice of round bar stock. Not terribly complicated just time intensive.

Dave J

Really great making / restoring a sword for our son. Cool Not a sharp obviously but still a metal sword, which is a good thing teaching having fun and still being " responsible " . Might not hurt anyone but the occasional table lamp might get " IT ".

Much better to teach responsibility in stages rather than duct tapping your kids with layers of cotton wool so that they never hurt themselves. ( Unless you are making them a Gambison that is. Razz Wink )

So did your future wife get a little irritated when you started spending more time with her Dad in his workshop that with her ?

( Just teasing: No harm intended. Big Grin Cool )

P.S. Oh, wecome to the site. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My latest project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic