Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Squire Line sword for the 14th century? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shae Bishop

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jul, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Squire Line sword for the 14th century?         Reply with quote

Lately I've really been taken with the Albion Squire Line 13th knightly sword, especially after reading the recent review and seeing pictures other than the one on the Albion website. I have a pretty limited sword budget and the simple quality for such a low price really appeals to me. However, my period of interest is the 14th century rather than the 13th century, so my question is do you think this sword would be acceptable for a early-mid 14th century English or Scottish lower-class man-at-arms? I know there are similar swords dated to the 14th century, and it could represent an old-fashioned sword passed down a few generations in a family who couldn't afford lots of new swords. At least that's my thinking. It could be quite some time before I could afford another sword and I really like this one so I would like to start a low-budget kit around it. Then, when I can afforn it, I might upgrade to a Next Gen Sherriff or Squire. Does this sound like a reasonable plan to you all?
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jul, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Squire Line sword for the 14th century?         Reply with quote

Shae Bishop wrote:
Lately I've really been taken with the Albion Squire Line 13th knightly sword, especially after reading the recent review and seeing pictures other than the one on the Albion website. I have a pretty limited sword budget and the simple quality for such a low price really appeals to me. However, my period of interest is the 14th century rather than the 13th century, so my question is do you think this sword would be acceptable for a early-mid 14th century English or Scottish lower-class man-at-arms? I know there are similar swords dated to the 14th century, and it could represent an old-fashioned sword passed down a few generations in a family who couldn't afford lots of new swords. At least that's my thinking. It could be quite some time before I could afford another sword and I really like this one so I would like to start a low-budget kit around it. Then, when I can afforn it, I might upgrade to a Next Gen Sherriff or Squire. Does this sound like a reasonable plan to you all?

Shae,

It's kind of your call. I'd say that a sword like the Squire Line Knightly is definitely better suited to the earlier portion of the 14th century, and it certainly would represent a bit of an antiquated sword type passed down through the generations. However, have you considered purchasing a Sherriff or Squire with Albion's payment plan? By gradually paying off the swords, you could afford something more appropriate to your period of interest.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Squire Line sword for the 14th century?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic