Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New scabbard for Albion Baron/Duke sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jaromír Kožiak wrote:
I don't want to be rude... I am sorry...it is not such a bad work - but it is not a good work either.

One of the leather straps is not cut straight.

I had a good look on the Albion page and the alleged uneven strap is deliberately tapering in width. You can clearly see that it gets narrower as it is wrapped around the scabbard to be tied into a knot at it's termination.

Sweet work Aaron, looks awesome.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice work Aaron! Look great!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron;

Good work and glad things seem to be working out, try to give us some news when / if you can find some time to post: You are missed. Wink Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek! What a beauty!
Good job ˝Carlsson Big Grin Cool

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Herbert Schmidt

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really do like the scabbards of Albion. I also think they are historically accurate. I would buy one without hesitating.

BUT it is true that the edges are not cleaned, something that is no secret and was well known to every leather workman. I also suspect the leather not beeing top quality due to the wrinkels the straps show just where it is bending. But this is an assumption.

Historical accuracy is one thing - good workmanship another. If something is considered good workmanship today because it gives more live to a product and it is easily available then you can be almost sure they did it back then also when they wanted to make a good product. As Albion without doubt wants to make a good product the point of Jaromir is well brought up and should be considered. I personally find it better to have smoothed edges which are the same colour as the rest of the leather. This is better, possible and shows good workmanship. Not doing it is a shortcut - period.

Herbert

www.arsgladii.at
Historical European Martial Arts
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think this scabbard rocks. I too keep hoping to see Aaron posting here again.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I at least agree on the preference for better finishing of edges, and the back (flesh side) of straps. I would still not expect these surfaces to look perfect, but they probably would have been given some type of burnishing and finishing given that many scabbards cost more than the swords themselves.

Beveling edges, burnishing the edges and backs of the straps so that the flesh side looks similar to the hair side (when newly polished the grain can lay down and look fairly slick) is not difficult at all and really only adds a couple of minutes effort to the job. This can be done with period bees wax (or modern carnuba cream finish) and some rough linen or canvas cloth. For a job that may easily have taken more than 40 hours of loving craftsmanship (showing in most all other aspects), I like to think that the medieval craftsman would have taken that little extra bit of time.

Quality of the leather is subjective, as the effort of weaving the integral straps and then subsequent wear and bending of the straps will cause that distressed look to occur with good quality vegtable tanned leather. In terms of period tanning and finishing methods, a strap without distress marks simply looks "unused" or "fake" to me.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jaromír Kožiak wrote:
Hmm... i dont like this scabbard ... The leatherwork is rather amateurish... not very precise
Compare with this scabbard I made for my sword myself (it is the first scabbard I made), using no special tools... the photo is not very good, but it is the best I currently have.
[

I would like to see a better photo of your carving on this scabbard and belt. In addition, would you be so kind as to share your artistic inspiration for the intertwining motif? Is it based on any particular historic piece? Is the offset hanging arrangement sufficient for the weight of this sword? Or does the tip tend to hang straight down to the ground? Just curious about your design process and how well it worked out in practical use.

Although I agree that Aaron's choice of edge finish is less than attractive, I find his choice of leather appropriate for the aged theme of the commission. I would guess that the lighter leather is not uniformly "dyed" but is a wax packed leather or perhaps latigo. These leathers are quite popular in North America for items intended to appear "well worn" or "aged". The artefact that clearly inspired this design was from an appropriate period for the commission. The project is quite well done, IMHO although I can't share the "WOW" that some posters expressed. I'm not really into 13thC utilitarian projects. That's not Aaron's concern or nor is it your's.

We know that medieval leathers were available fully dyed (i.e. vat dyed) or undressed for finishing by the craftsmen after detailing a piece. We do not know whether perfectly even or variegated colouring was pleasing to the medieval eye any more than either is to everyone today. Obviously your preference is for uniformity in this case. Perhaps Aaron's client does not share your preference? Certainly mine don't!! They all want something different. Worried I like a bit of character in my leather selection. Some people prefer bland uniformity. Razz Either is correct if the client is satisfied. Cool

I look forward to seeing more of your work. So many Eastern European re-enactors have shared their work and more significantly, their research with those of us unable to access the treasures in your countries' museums. Please give us more information on what you are doing.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jesse Bailey, a scabbard maker and part of a Norman reenactment group with pretty strict accuracy requirements has stated that surface dying was done on belts. That would leave the edges and back undyed.

The bottom line is that we don't know for sure how things were, since there are so few surviving scabbards. The thought that an expensive sword would only be housed in the most finely and completely finished scabbard assumes that scabbards lived as long as the sword itself. We know that's not necessarily the case. Today, a scabbard can cost as much as the sword because labor and materials are more expensive. Do we know the ratio of average scabbard cost to sword cost from the 13th through the 15th centuries? Today, we buy scabbards as once-in-a-lifetime purchases, since they often don't see the same use today as in period. "Back in the day" I'd guess a sword could see more than one scabbard in its lifetime. I'd also guess that scabbards of that era would have been in a different price range than swords. I'd love to see data either way, though.

Allan has mentioned armour strapping that wasn't finished, so I'd think scabbard belt strapping could be similarly done also.

The only thing that should be avoided in these discussions are statements that talk in absolutes.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron, that is a gorgeous scabbard to be proud of and there is nothing amateur about it, though I am no leather craftsman, one of my very best friends ever "Joe Wheeler" is the most respected maker of bullwhips in this country and I know quality when I see it, because Joe has taught me what to look for and that scabbard is very professional!

In Ref. to Joe, his website and email. http://www.masterwhipmaker.com/ jcraftsman@aol.com

(When viewing website keep in mind Joe makes all kinds of whips which some do not reflect his personal interests, it's merely part of his business, he is a "Western" enthusiast.

By the way, Joe has remarked to me his admiration of the scabbards made at Albion and how artistically done they are!

You should be proud Aaron!

Sincerely,

Bob
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Scabbards         Reply with quote

I think our detractor here has some assuptions that are not correct. First his assumptions that medieval scabbards were highly decorated is unsubstantiated. There are very few surviving medieval scababrds and those representations found on effigies belonged to important and rich people. This is not to say that medieval scabbards weren't richly decorated as a common rule, but to assume they were I think is going too far.

The "uneven" leather strap is cut that way intentionally for this type of suspension. Oakshott has a drawing of one of the few surviving deerskin suspensions in his Archeology of Weapons p241. In the same text one can see a medieval scabbard in plate 9c from the tomb of Ferdando de la Cerda (ob 1270). In that same plate you can also the see the famous Sword of St. Maurice in Turin in its scababrd. Neither scabbard shows any sign of ornimentation or leather working with incised lines or objects.

If Jaromir dislikes the scabbard work then that is his opinion. Having said that, I don't find his work any more apealing (less so as a matter of fact since I don't like the suspension system). However, I will not resort to calling his work "amatuerish" or use any other childlike derogatory remarks on here. As far as the edges of the leather are concerned, finishing them could have been a buyer preference. I know f ra fact that if I were to wear this sword overe a cloth surcoat, having the back of the lether belt "fuzzy" helps to hold the whole suspension where you want it. This is not a consideration if worn directly over armor.

Personally the only "beef" I have of scabbards in general today, is the cost. I know they are one-offs and custom fitted for the swords, but I don't see a reason that a scabbard for a production sword ( meaning one where the swords of the same type do not vary much at all from one to another ) has to cost nearly twice what you pay for the sword itself (with belt and fittings). But that's just me and I am cheap HAHA. Aaron's scabbards in the flesh are elegant and graceful and historically accurate as far as we can tell. If you want to make your own and coat it with Elmer's Glue and glitter then please do so. Just be fair in criticisms of things that are not to yoru taste.

Joel Whitmore
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Deerskin         Reply with quote

Herbert Schmidt wrote:
I

BUT it is true that the edges are not cleaned, something that is no secret and was well known to every leather workman. I also suspect the leather not beeing top quality due to the wrinkels the straps show just where it is bending. But this is an assumption.

Herbert

Worried Folks I am pretty sure the leather for teh belt is deerskin and not cowhide. Deerskin is a thinner and more supple leather than normal cowhide. Now why use deerskin? I can only assume that they were going historical here. Buckskin doesn't shrink much when it gets wet and dries. It does have a different texture than cowhide leather.

Joel Whitmore
David McElrea

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Umm... While I don't want to detract from the great work Aaron is no doubt doing there, it's not actually a new installment in the Albion scabbard range per se (unless I am missing something)-- I think the "new" bit is in relation to its being offered for the Duke as well as the Albion. See here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...n+scabbard

David
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:
Umm... While I don't want to detract from the great work Aaron is no doubt doing there, it's not actually a new installment in the Albion scabbard range per se (unless I am missing something)-- I think the "new" bit is in relation to its being offered for the Duke as well as the Albion. See here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...n+scabbard

David

I think the "new" part is that Aaron made the new one and maybe Kevin made yours?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
David McElrea

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jul, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fair enough, Nathan. Your initial post said:
Quote:
Check out the newly posted scabbard for Albion's Next Generation Baron and Duke swords. I believe it's the work of Aaron Schnatterly, new(ish) scabbard-maker for Albion.

I assumed, on the basis of your first sentence, that you were saying this was a "new" (i.e. "different") scabbard-- yet it looked very much like mine. Obviously I misunderstood, though.
Kevin Iseli
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all. To be fair, all the leather work is new (from a new maker, that is) but the buckle and belt end are still from the same batch of castings that I carved over a year ago. So it's "mostly" new. It definately has a distinctly different look though. Big Grin

Congrats Aaron!

--Kevin Iseli
Elvenarts scabbard shop
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kevin Iseli wrote:
Hi all. To be fair, all the leather work is new (from a new maker, that is) but the buckle and belt end are still from the same batch of castings that I carved over a year ago. So it's "mostly" new. It definately has a distinctly different look though. Big Grin

Congrats Aaron!

Thank you tons for this update. I didn't realize that Albion was casting the buckles and hardware now days. It's a good move on their part. Maybe it will affect pricing a bit. Who knows?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Kevin Iseli
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't get too excited. Laughing Out Loud I started carvinging waxes and making molds for some of the "big seller" scabbards just before I left Albion, but they only covered a few scabbards. I'm not sure what the current situation is, but everyone agreed that it was the right route to take so I'm sure Albion is still persuing it. I also know, however, that Aaron has a pretty full plate. All that being said, I wouldn't think that it will lead to a price break but it may lead to a quicker turn-around time. Big Grin Any way that's just my guess.

Best,

--Kevin Iseli
Elvenarts scabbard shop

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New scabbard for Albion Baron/Duke sword
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: