Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > "Post " question (The Pell) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Rod Parsons

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: "Post " question (The Pell)         Reply with quote

I'm not sure of my terminology here, but if one were to build a "post" against which to exercise with a blunt mediaeval sword, what is the proper design and construction of such an item?
And does such practice have more value in building strength through repetitions or should it be regarded as a place to build correct form?
I assume both, to a degree, but expect it might also be a means of developing bad habits for the unwary.
Comments please?
Rod.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Such a post was called a pell in the medieval period. They were used historically, so they must have had some value. If you search for the term pell, you should be able to find a couple of threads on the subject.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A pell is an excellent training device. It immediately gives you an impression of how the sword works, and really helps with judging distance and basic timing.

For some ideas for construction and taining ideas, check out the ARMA website: http://www.thearma.org
this article gives some ideas for construction.
and this one gives some history.

I would recommend using a waster on the pell, unless you have it significantly padded--otherwise, you could damage your blunt.
Rod Parsons

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re:         Reply with quote

Thanks Grey and Eric.
I was thinking of making one I can stand in my workshop/storage unit. When I take the car and the van out there is plenty of room, a smooth floor and a very high ceiling.
My notion was to make a "pell" padded with distinguishable head, torso and shoulders. I still have a boken somewhere but would prefer a waster of European form or begin by using an ash or oak pole of appropriate size and start by doing "kata" with the emphasis on form and control.
Rod.
Michael Eging

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I find a waster with a false and true edge to be preferable when doing longsword training. Edge alignment and other mechanics reveal themselves through such a workout. For really sturdy options in wasters, check out this site... I just got two (a hand and a half and an arming sword) and they surpassed my expecations...

http://little-raven.com/RS/MA/index.html

Cool

M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Eging wrote:
I find a waster with a false and true edge to be preferable when doing longsword training. Edge alignment and other mechanics reveal themselves through such a workout. For really sturdy options in wasters, check out this site... I just got two (a hand and a half and an arming sword) and they surpassed my expecations...

http://little-raven.com/RS/MA/index.html

Cool

I've heard good things about Little Raven wasters. I have a New Stirling Arms one that serves me well. Hollow Earth Swordworks makes some good ones, too, but I've heard their customer service can be lacking.

Really, your pell dosen't need shoulders and a head, but its up to you. If your workshop has exposed rafters, you might look into getting a heavy, canvas punching-bag, though moving it to get your vehicle back in might be more difficult.

My pell is an H-frame of 1" steel pipe with pool noodles for padding covered with canvas. The advantage is, I can take it apart for easier storage and transportation (important for me, since I have to walk to the nearest schoolyard or park to practice). It stands maybe an inch over 6 feet when fully assembeled. I would reccomend something more robust than pool noodles for padding, like a layer of old carpet or something. And don't mind the mocking and jeers of those ignorant passers-by when thay see you attacking the pell--they're just jealous they're not as cool as you Happy
Rod Parsons

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Melee at the pell?         Reply with quote

I wonder if this is the origin of the expression "pell - mell"?
Probably...
The only issue I have with the wooden waster is it's somewhat lower weight, I would rather it were the same or heavier.
I have an idea about making a padded "torso and head" that is adjustable for height, so that I don't get too used to hitting a "standard height" opponent.
I can build a strong wooden frame, flesh it out with padding, pad it up and cover it in canvas, then have it mounted in a strong cased base that is simply adjustable with a few different pin positions so that i can vary it's height.
Re the noodles, I have 3 cartons of supernoodles that I use for wand shooting targets, they are remarkably good at stopping light arrows, but I do get through a lot of 22mm dowels. :-)
Rod.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Melee at the pell?         Reply with quote

Rod Parsons wrote:

The only issue I have with the wooden waster is it's somewhat lower weight, I would rather it were the same or heavier.
I have an idea about making a padded "torso and head" that is adjustable for height, so that I don't get too used to hitting a "standard height" opponent.

Arms & Armor has two steel training swords. There are also aluminum traning swords that might get closer to a realistic weight and balance. We've reviewed several different training swords recently; those reviews might be a good place to start.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Rod Parsons

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re:         Reply with quote

Thanks Chad,
I had the idea that the aluminium wasters were intended to provide a thicker edge, but was not aware that they were more durable for long term use with the pell.
Rod.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Melee at the pell?         Reply with quote

Rod Parsons wrote:
I wonder if this is the origin of the expression "pell - mell"?
Probably...

From the French: Pêle-Mêle, meaning confused and disorganized mix of things or people.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Risto Rautiainen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really think that you should refrain for using hard blows with a training blunt against an immobile wooden pell. It can really harm your blade. What you can do with a wooden pell and a steel blade is to practice the control of your weapon. You swing at the pell as hard as you can without touching it. If you're touching it you're hitting it too hard. If say, one out of ten of your swings hit the target then the speed is okay. You have to be in control of your weapon at all times, right? This helps you to train just that skill.

For full force hitting practice with a steel blunt I'd recommend using an old tire. That bugger gives you instant feedback wether you are hitting with proper blade alignment or not.
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Post " question (The Pell)         Reply with quote

Rod

A large punching bag also makes a good pell for a waster. Due to a really bad case of tennis elbow serveral years ago I switched from a wooden post to a heavy bag. I also tried using a an old tire but it left a lot of black marks on my waster. Note that a bag will not last long with against blunt steel. If you want to use a blunt sword against a bag will need to cover the bag.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > "Post " question (The Pell)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic