Need English translation of German
I wish to know the meaning of some German text accompanying a Codex Manesse image titled Durner. The text reads;

Der unvollständige Name erschwert die Identifizierung dieses am Ende des 13. Jahrhunderts dichtenden Minnesängers. Möglicherweise gehörte er der bürgerlichen Familie Durner aus Mengen an, das zwischen Sigmaringen und Saulgau liegt.

Any help would be appreciated.
The online translation reads:
Quote:
The incomplete name makes more difficult the identification of this at the end 13. Century of sealing minnesaengers. Possibly it belonged to the civil family Durner from quantities, which lies between sigma rings and Saulgau.
From babelfish.altavista.com:

Quote:
The incomplete name makes more difficult the identification of this at the end 13. Century of sealing minnesaengers. Possibly it belonged to the civil family Durner from quantities, which lies between sigma rings and Saulgau.
Re: Need English translation of German
Jared Smith wrote:
I wish to know the meaning of some German text accompanying a Codex Manesse image titled Durner. The text reads;

Der unvollständige Name erschwert die Identifizierung dieses am Ende des 13. Jahrhunderts dichtenden Minnesängers. Möglicherweise gehörte er der bürgerlichen Familie Durner aus Mengen an, das zwischen Sigmaringen und Saulgau liegt.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pretty good translations, here's one from a native speaker:

"The incomplete name makes the identification of this minnesinger, who created poetry around the end of the 13th century, more difficult.

He was probably a member of the bourgeois family of Durer from Mengen, which lies between Sigmaringen and Saulgau."

If there are any questions left, regarding the exact meaning of certain terms, please let me know.

Regards

Micha

PS: What are you working on, Jared? I'm curious... ;)
(Edited to put the " " in )

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: