Painted Bascinet?
I was wondering if anyone knew of, or had pictures of any bascinets with some kind of painting, enameling, cloth covering, or other decoration or coloring. I really like the idea of knights having a lot of really colorful equipment as opposed to the modern image of all polished steel and I think it's a lot more accurate. I have seen the examples of painted sallets in another thread, and although not original, I love Patrick Kelly's painted Norman helmet. It seems that with the 14th century being the great flourishig point of heraldry, there would be bascinets exhibiting similar coloring.
I'm pretty certain I've seen a picture of a non-sallet helm (I can't remember if it was a bascinet or a barbuta(sp?), buit in any case I'm pretty certain it was 15th-century) that has evidence for a velvet covering. I'll see if I can find that picture (its probably somewhere on this site).
Eric Allen wrote:
I'm pretty certain I've seen a picture of a non-sallet helm (I can't remember if it was a bascinet or a barbuta(sp?), buit in any case I'm pretty certain it was 15th-century) that has evidence for a velvet covering. I'll see if I can find that picture (its probably somewhere on this site).

There's a fairly famous helm from the Met that is somewhere between a sallet and a bascinet. Most call it a sallet, though. It has a velvet covering held on with gilt mounts. Here's another, somewhat similar example. Again, most call it a sallet.

[ Linked Image ]
Yeah, I think that's it. thanks.
But, that IS a sallet, not really much in it . it has the long tail, shortened form and keel. the fact that it is covered and has mounts makes little difference to whether it's a bascinet or sallet.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: