Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My Thoughts About Albion NG Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Esa Etelävuori

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: My Thoughts About Albion NG Swords         Reply with quote

Hey, I have not posted for ages, I have been busy with "everything" else, but now I want to contribute some low words.

I have bought some swords from Albion, all of them NG swords. I like them all but here are some further thoughts. First, I liked the Gaddhjalt the most because of its looks and then my preferred tip balance. But now further in to the future. I got the swords: Gaddhjalt, Landgraf, Talhoffer, Baron, Sovereign, Templar, Squire, and Viceroy.

I'm no expert in swords or anything like that. I just like Viking-Middle-European Swords before 16th century. None of my real life friends know anything about swords. But I always show them to even my female visitors! Heh! All are amused, and they all thought swords were clumby. But then when they take these swords in their hands I see them smile. It's nothing like a club, lol. Most of my friends like Sovereign because its easy balance. Second favorite is Talhoffer, I must admit, it's beautiful. Feels über when used with one hand, feels very effective with 2 hands.

Personally, I'm still the Viceroy man. This is the only sword of these all I would depend my life on. I liked first time I handled it, I liked the looks, and it's very brutal when 2-handed and offends everyone when 1-handed. I just love it and it's the most beatiful sword I have ever seen. (Exclude some kingly golded stuff please, but I do not like gold effects tho). This is the sword I would take in the battle anytime. Well, now I prefer German G36 Assault Rifle, but anyways.

Well, if I had to choose some another sword, it would be Talhoffer, I like everything in it too. The Gaddhjalt is still is in the first postitional place in my house for many things. It's kinda Viking, it looks like a nice sword and it's actually very beautiful. To summary all, the Gaddhajlt is THE sword for people who know nothing about swords. And I still love it, but I want a horse to go with it. Happy
Esa Etelävuori

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I have to tell you this talk.

My friend was visiting me, I had told him before I had a lots of weapons collection. When he entered my house he said I hate that sword. I told him, well, I like weapons. Then gave him G36C, German Commandy Assault weapon. He thought, well, it's bad looking killer. Then I gave him Beretta M9 pistol, he said this is sad. Then I gave him the Tallhoffer and he told me, can weapons feel this good? He was holding it one handed, I told him take it with two hands. And he was really amused, but then he complained to me, are you going to kill people with this? Haha, I handed him rifles and pistols and then he asks if I kill people with swords. Sad joke, but it happens.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't tell you how many times I've heard that "So you going to go on a rampage one of these days?" jokes, and how impossibly sick of them I am. They weren't that funny to begin with...
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Esa - I can't comment on the G36 or the M9, but I will say that you have excellent taste in swords!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a somewhat similar story. I hope you don't mind my adding it to your post.

For the past two days, I had an old friend ( is in his 40's, I have known him for around 16 years) visiting. He has done some competitive saber fencing (few years), and even coached the saber team of a noteworthy university. He spoke with significant criticism (and convincing authority as one who has a scientific PhD in metallury, is a published gourmet, etc., tends too) of medieval swords, expressing preference for single handed weapons, superiority of the gladius when used with shield wall....etc. Then he picked up my Albion Sempach, and he was hooked. He positively loved the feel of the sword, and repeatedly stated how the balance was "unbelievably good, for its category", when held one handed. Soon he was brandishing it and trying out some classic fechtbook manuvers (using both hands) and was quite eager for some test cutting medium. Now I have promised to stash some empty containers and test cutting medium for his next visit, which could be as long as 3 years away. Regardless of what he might confess in words, I would say his physical actions indicated considerable appreciation for the sword, regardless of his litany against its typology and logistical merits.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I collect some guns and swords and I tend to get two different reactions from people on them.

Those who have handled weapons (knives and guns) tend to not be that impressed by the guns but very facinated by the swords. Those who haven't ever touched a gun or weapon tend to be more facinated by the guns.

Also...I find most women are kind of repelled by guns but really like to handle the swords, go figure. Wink

However, I find all children are facinated by both!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most people don't even notice them in my experience, unless I make a show of them.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G36C ( Big Grin drool ) You are a lucky man.
Oh yeah the swords, well what can i say Albion swords are the best and i know exactly what you mean, when i grabbed hold of the grip i smile too.
Nice collection , you have there.

Regards,

John

http://www.GageCustomKnives.com/
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jun, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a few Albion NG's. I haven't bonded with all of them, but the two that really make me smile when I wield them are the Castellan XVa and the Reeve X..
Robert B. Allison

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jun, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a small collection of NGs, share a couple in-common with Esa: Caithness, Baron, Landgraf, Jarl, Regent, and Allectus, and have placed an order for, and am eagerly awaiting, the Knecht when those go into production. My favorites have to be the Jarl and Regent, although for some reason I find myself playing with the Landgraf the most, like the light blade and balance and only wish that the grip was just a teensy bit longer.

I've noticed that women who visit my house like to play with the Allectus the most, and they invariably exclaim "oooooh, it looks just like a pepper-mill."

I'm not familiar with the aforementioned assault rifle, used to own an H&K 91 (civilian version of the G3), but found it to be somewhat klunky. During my Army days back in '70-72 I initially hated, but ultimately came to love, the M16 and presently own and frequently shoot several civilian variants of that very fine, versatile, and highly accurate rifle. Handguns? The M9 Beretta has some very nice features, but I'll always love the 1911s in 45ACP first and foremost.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jun, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert B. Allison wrote:
I'm not familiar with the aforementioned assault rifle, used to own an H&K 91 (civilian version of the G3), but found it to be somewhat klunky. During my Army days back in '70-72 I initially hated, but ultimately came to love, the M16 and presently own and frequently shoot several civilian variants of that very fine, versatile, and highly accurate rifle. Handguns? The M9 Beretta has some very nice features, but I'll always love the 1911s in 45ACP first and foremost.

A friend of mine had comment once. "Every discussion about weapons eventually devolves down to a discussion of your favorite gun"...guess we're gotten there now. :-)
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jun, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I have a few Albion NG's. I haven't bonded with all of them, but the two that really make me smile when I wield them are the Castellan XVa and the Reeve X..

You have a Castellan AND a Reeve? Eek! Lucky!

Hello to Esa! It's always nice to meet a fellow Talhoffer owner. Razz I remember bringing 'Hans' with me to the Renfaire to show to my friend who works at one of the booths (I had the sword wrapped in a towel; no scabbard -- yet). While my friend was holding it, many people kept asking "Can I see that one?" -- "Wow, I like that dark red grip! How much is it?" He told them all it was mine and not for sale, but it was as though it were a Ferrari! One guy even came in the booth saying "Holy s___ ! Is that an Albion Talhoffer?!" He could have been one of you guys!

I had a girl one time who saw my swords and asked me if I was part of a cult. WTF?! I had some fun with that one! Another girl saw my A&A Black Prince and said "that's the scariest looking sword I've ever seen in my life!" When I told her that it once belonged to a warrior known as the Black Prince, she didn't want to go near it -- as though it were some kind of explosive device.

Many people are open-minded and are eager to see for themselves whether the stereotypes are true or not (swords weighing 50 pounds and able to cut a steel I-beam in half). My A&A Schloss Erbach is a bit heavy for most newbies, but my Type Xva's have thus far proved themselves popular. Wink

Sometimes just holding a sword is enough to inspire a person to want to learn more about this hobby and this history.

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jun, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I too have been the beneficiary of reactions from people who think I've lost my mind. I tell them these are among the finest production replica swords that can be bought made from historical originals. From Arms & Armor I have the Highland Claymore, German Bastard Sword, Durer Bastard Sword, English Longsword, Irish Sword, Knightly Riding Sword, Henry V Sword and the Italian 3 Ring Rapier, the 12th Century Spear, Danish War Axe, Mace, Flail and 3 daggers.

All these swords and weapons handle like a dream, but when people come into my home they think I've completely lost it. I also have 5 other very decent swords but not the premium quality of Arms & Armor. We also have 3 pistols and 1 Mossberg 590 Riot Shotgun.

I tell them my interest in history and my library of books and dvds proves that, yet they think I've gone off my nut and don't understand why anyone would spend $550 to a $1,000.00 on a sword. The latter referring to the Albion Vassal that I will be acquiring at the end of the year and I am also hoping for Albion's Berserkr. I too think that Albion's Viking era swords are awesome. Quite obviously I am extremely impressed with Arms & Armor too!

I just recently got the Highland Claymore and it has been humorous to me to watch the reaction of people when they find out the sword does not have the weight of a barbell and is only a little over 5 lbs.

Personally I am grateful we have Albion and Arms & Armor to keep our European history alive!

Sincerely,

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jun, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
I too have been the beneficiary of reactions from people who think I've lost my mind. I tell them these are among the finest production replica swords that can be bought made from historical originals. From Arms & Armor I have the Highland Claymore, German Bastard Sword, Durer Bastard Sword, English Longsword, Irish Sword, Knightly Riding Sword, Henry V Sword and the Italian 3 Ring Rapier, the 12th Century Spear, Danish War Axe, Mace, Flail and 3 daggers.

All these swords and weapons handle like a dream, but when people come into my home they think I've completely lost it. I also have 5 other very decent swords but not the premium quality of Arms & Armor. We also have 3 pistols and 1 Mossberg 590 Riot Shotgun.

I tell them my interest in history and my library of books and dvds proves that, yet they think I've gone off my nut and don't understand why anyone would spend $550 to a $1,000.00 on a sword. The latter referring to the Albion Vassal that I will be acquiring at the end of the year and I am also hoping for Albion's Berserkr. I too think that Albion's Viking era swords are awesome. Quite obviously I am extremely impressed with Arms & Armor too!

I just recently got the Highland Claymore and it has been humorous to me to watch the reaction of people when they find out the sword does not have the weight of a barbell and is only a little over 5 lbs.

Personally I am grateful we have Albion and Arms & Armor to keep our European history alive!

Sincerely,

Bob

Passions are not subject to reason and one needs no reasons to enjoy a passion.

When you get a negative reaction get to know what that person likes and have them explain why ?

Past any rationalizations can they explain why this and not that ? Yes one can get into the details of what one gets from a sword or other collectable or even activity but the profound fundamental WHY is emotion, aesthetic response, a form of love even. Big Grin Why this specific thing and why not something else ????

A person without any passions at all would have no fun or be fun to be with: It's always nice to see someone eyes light up when they talk about one of their passions even if it's one personally you can't quite " GET " yourself. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Oh, and to get back on topic: Each Albion Sword that I have feels good in hand, but each in a different way. The Gaddjalt has the most presence, the Tritonia much easier to handle than size would lead one to believe, the Sovereign fast scary looking agile. Words are sort of unnecessary when one handles each one in turn: Even with eyes closes you can't mistake one for the other.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jun, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Said:

Passions are not subject to reason and one needs no reasons to enjoy a passion.

When you get a negative reaction get to know what that person likes and have them explain why ?

Past any rationalizations can they explain why this and not that ? Yes one can get into the details of what one gets from a sword or other collectable or even activity but the profound fundamental WHY is emotion, aesthetic response, a form of love even. Big Grin Why this specific thing and why not something else ????

A person without any passions at all would have no fun or be fun to be with: It's always nice to see someone eyes light up when they talk about one of their passions even if it's one personally you can't quite " GET " yourself. Wink Laughing Out Loud

[/quote]

First, I hope I did this quote thing right, I just can't seem to grasp how to do the quote system in posting. (duh)

Jean, I could not have said it better! For me this most certainly is a passion and it's more powerful by far than any other interest I've ever had in my entire life! I think it comes from a love of history, it is most certainly from a peacable aspect and an interest in the martial arts, but from the art aspect of it and not from any violent tendencies. The expression of the art form which is something spiritual in a very positive way. A deep and sincere appreciation the art of swords and other medieval weaponry, mostly for me my fascination is in the European aspect.
As I have mentioned probably numerous times, I was quite surprised to learn I had such a love (and for me it really is a "love" of swords, especially European swords)! This is all even more enjoyable for me because of the "myArmoury" website created for us by Nathan, a place where I can communicate with other people who have been into our hobby for much longer than I and therefore a whole lot more knowledgeable than me. I get real happy reading about other member's most recent acquisition, I get a real sense of pleasure from their joy! Because of this passionate interest I have in swords, I have also become very interested in other people's hobbies, regardless of what the hobby is, so long as it is something they are sincerely passionate about!

Also, I absolutely meant every word of what I said, I am very grateful to Albion Swords and Arms & Armor, for making available to us what seems to me near custom quality swords at a production level price. Although I do understand that custom swords made by a swordsmith are indeed a whole other plateau level. I am just trying to express my appreciation of the oh so very fine quality swords that are created by Albion Swords and Arms & Armor! My first Albion is not far off now and there will certainly be more Albion Swords coming into my collection. In fact just yesterday I stopped by at Kult of Athena to show Ryan my new Highland Claymore and spent quite a bit of time playing with the Albions he has in stock.

I''ve also been buying a lot of books that are related to medieval European warfare, swords, weapons, tactics, etc., documentary and movie dvds too.

The intensity of my passion for our common interest just keeps growing, it's like I just cannot get enough of it and I am so very happy these days! I am very grateful to have been able to buy the swords and weapons that I have. Whatever negative views other people may have of my sword collection and interest is just not important to me at all. The only thing that matters to me is that this is something I truly love with all my heart and soul and it brings me so much joy!

Something else that has been blazingly apparent to me, is the what seems to me an extremely high proportion or percentage of people that I have encountered in this area of interest both in person and in this website, are the very high quality levels of character!

From what I have come to understand for myself, is there has got to be something about the "sword" it's meaning, the honor, courage, character, virtuous morals that it represents, attracts people of high moral character.

I hope I am explaining myself correctly here, suffice to say that I have been extremely impressed in "myArmoury" with the quality in character of all you good people! I am thrilled to be amongst you sharing this love and this passion. What is important is that "we" know what we have in this passion and that's what is important!

Thanks Jean, you really said it well!

Sincerely,

Bob
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guys,
Talking about passion is great, but is far from what this topic's intent is. You're welcome to discuss it, but if you do, use an existing thread on collecting (there are several) of make a new one in the Off Topic forum.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Bob, have you looked at the article for the Blade Show included in this weeks features. If you look down through the pictures there's one of a table of Albions stuff. If you look closely you see the two messer blades, and in between them you see the blade for the Vassal. Is it sweet looking or what?
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Andy for the tip, I will have to take a look at that. Chad, you are exactly correct, sometimes it is so easy to drift into the passion aspect that it takes a bit of self discipline to stay within the thread.

Sincerely,

Bob
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those blades look great...I mean scary great. Possibly the meister end of the month eh? Hope so, it'll be great to see these high quality single edge swords as most people (most non-sword people that is) don't even realize that single edged swords were used in Europe until say Napoleanish. I know that is what I thought until I found this site Big Grin

From the look of those blades I don't think Bob will be disappointed, and I know how highly he regards the concept art.

Awesome addition to the already stellar next gen line.

Kenton
Esa Etelävuori

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Jean Said:
From what I have come to understand for myself, is there has got to be something about the "sword" it's meaning, the honor, courage, character, virtuous morals that it represents, attracts people of high moral character

This is what I'm trying to tell to my friends, A swords isn't just a sword, it has history and every kinds of things associated with it. I have some times hard to tell them how I'm so passionate about swords, but then I switch to history, the heritage, and symbolisms of all the these "brute" weapons. And they begin to understand that the sword isn't just a stick beside a rock. It's a world in itself. And a very different world many people would believe. And many of them begine to like them or at least understand my passion.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My Thoughts About Albion NG Swords
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: