Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Kipchack helmet, fluting and face mask. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jun, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Kipchack helmet, fluting and face mask.         Reply with quote

Hi everyone

Im a novice armourer making armour basically for myself. I have been itching to reproduce one of the face mask kipchack helmets. And wandering wether anyone can give me any hints on how to approach making the fluted sections on the pointed dome? (fig 2)
I am proficient in making spagens, and directely riveted plate spagens. Though this one is beyond me and would a appreciate any help.
I was thinking with the face mask that I could do a wax model based on the original face features on the face plate and and then make a wax negative wich I could get sand cast in steel wich then I could beat metal sheet into?

Any thoughts.

Hope this makes sense, english isnt my first language.

PS I have great pics of the original though they are very large.

N

Attachment: 44.33 KB
helmrussipovetz-rus,nomad (14).gif

Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is an interesting project and i look forwards to seeing what you come up with. I'm afraid i can't help you further, I have seen photographs and line drawings of these types of helmets, but most have been poor quality, so I can't comment on the construction. Will you be making a mail aventail and matching mail shirt as well?

Oh BTW I would love to see your pictures. If they are too big you could use a program like Adobe Photoshop or gimp.org to reduce the size. You could also upload the photos to a free image server like photobucket.com, which would automatically reduce the size of the photo.
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:
That is an interesting project and i look forwards to seeing what you come up with. I'm afraid i can't help you further, I have seen photographs and line drawings of these types of helmets, but most have been poor quality, so I can't comment on the construction. Will you be making a mail aventail and matching mail shirt as well?

Oh BTW I would love to see your pictures. If they are too big you could use a program like Adobe Photoshop or gimp.org to reduce the size. You could also upload the photos to a free image server like photobucket.com, which would automatically reduce the size of the photo.

Hi Hisham

Yes I will be adding the aventail to the helmet, also I allready own a shirt of rivetted maile so Ive got it covererd. Ok I got the large pics of the helm from red kaganate in the weapons and armour section, so have a look.
with construction I wouldnt be suprised if it was one piece owing to their skills, though I have to admit I will be using a welder to construct the dome. I wouldnt be suprised if they did weld the tall spike though?

Nick
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jun, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nick Trueman wrote:
Hisham Gaballa wrote:

Hi Hisham

Yes I will be adding the aventail to the helmet, also I allready own a shirt of rivetted maile so Ive got it covererd. Ok I got the large pics of the helm from red kaganate in the weapons and armour section, so have a look.
with construction I wouldnt be suprised if it was one piece owing to their skills, though I have to admit I will be using a welder to construct the dome. I wouldnt be suprised if they did weld the tall spike though?

Nick

Right I had a look through my books, I couldn't find any good quality pictures of masked helmets, but i did find other helmets from roughly the same period and region.

14th century helmet (?)

13th century helmet: (I'm not sure were these are from, I can't read Polish).

Mask, Iran 15th century

Mask Iran 15th century:
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jun, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Manning Imperial makes a Kipchak helmet similar to #2 above; you might want to contact them. I have one from ArmStreet, but it's without the cranial fluting.

Quote:
Will you be making a mail aventail and matching mail shirt as well?

I think lamellar would be the more accurate primary armor for Kipchaks (that's what I use for mine), though I'm sure a good many used some mail underneath it.
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jun, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ruel A. Macaraeg wrote:
Manning Imperial makes a Kipchak helmet similar to #2 above; you might want to contact them. I have one from ArmStreet, but it's without the cranial fluting.

Quote:
Will you be making a mail aventail and matching mail shirt as well?

I think lamellar would be the more accurate primary armor for Kipchaks (that's what I use for mine), though I'm sure a good many used some mail underneath it.

Theres a actual maile aventail rust welded to the helm rim, also some of these helmets have been found with maile shirts.

I want to make this one myself, Ive seen a couple of places offering this style helmet all very nice but I just want to do it myself.

N
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jun, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Hisham

Great pics thanks.

Oh heres that helm with the maile shirt .

N

Attachment: 42.47 KB
helmrussipovetz-rus,nomad (18).jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Kipchack helmet, fluting and face mask.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic