Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hybrid Cold Steel/MRL Baskethilted CutlassDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jun, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, David. I like the look of your sword! Is that a horn grip?! And how's the fit around the hand?
How's the balance etc. on that turcael?
Sorry for coming with all these questions, but I just can't hold 'em back Big Grin

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 03 Jun, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Bjoern Boegh wrote:
Thanks for sharing, David. I like the look of your sword! Is that a horn grip?! And how's the fit around the hand?
How's the balance etc. on that turcael?
Sorry for coming with all these questions, but I just can't hold 'em back Big Grin

Cheers,
Henrik

It's a stag grip.
The basket fits fine, not too constrictive while also not being too big.
The sword is a bit heavy, balance is okay, good enough for a cutting/slashing saber.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jun, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: "Turceach" Project         Reply with quote

Thanks, Kirk and David (and all others) for responding to my question on the so-called Turkish-style basket hilts. I had not previously seen the ribbon-hilted examples Mac supplied and the fact that they are ribbon-hilted in construction indicates- to me at least - that these curved sabers were around for quite a while...say 1680 to at least 1815 or so. There are several illustrated by the Peniculk sketch artist and I feel in my bones that there may have been a fair number of these sabers in use.

What I'm thinking at this point is to use a cold steel hilt (no particular reason other than I haven't had one to play with before) and the Cold Steel Shamsir blade. I choose this curved blade because it seems to be lighted and more "correct" in profile that a Blucher-type blade. Original 1796/Blucher's are heavy in the first place and the Indian repros keep up the historical precedent. I will have to weld a threaded tang extension on the Shamsir but that won't be too big of an issue.

MY further plans are to make hilt modifications as follows:

1. Add Glasgow hilt type fluting to the hilt using the venerable multi-disk, Dremel cutting tool method.

2. Cut loose the forward guards from the forward quillon, shorten and draw them loser to the hilt body, and then weld them to the center bottom of the main knuckle guard. Then I can re-shape them as did you, Kirk.

3. Cut the center three saltrie bar connectors loose from the pommel circle as seems to have been more common that having them join the retaining circle just below the pommel car and nut.

My biggest issue so, far is that CS has changed the style of its scottish basket-hilts pommel caps from a "rounded" type to a conical type. If I can't find a replecment, I will have to have one made. Cry

If anyone has some ideas or advice , I sure would like to hear from you, especially you, Kirk!!

GG Osborne
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jun, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like a very good solution, George!
Personally I would try to do something with the saltire bars as well. I think they are a pit over decorated with piercings. If I were embarking on a project like that and had the skills I would prefere to replace them entirely!
What about the ramshorns? They look a bit to 19th century like to me. Perhaps cutting away part of the two cirkles would help?

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jun, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Turcheach Project         Reply with quote

Kirk actually PM'd me with some interesting thoughts on this issue Hentick and offered a nice solution. I agree with your assessment, the basket seems to have this very odd mixture of both early and late features, decorations, etc. I rather like the piercings but miss the fluting...showing it apparently less costly to stamp a piece of metal than to do it justice! I imagine that Kirk must have felt the same way when he added the nice engraving.

I hate to mess up this valuable thread wiith my speculations and projects, In retrospect, I should have opened another topic which I will do in time. In the meantime, if anyone has some thoughts I would appreciate a PM. Many thanks. George
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jul, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey all...

I have been in Israel working at the Qumran plateau excavations. Just got back into town and have a month or so of posts to enjoy and respond.

I want to thank my fellow "home improvers" and the Scottish contingent for their encouragement on this hybrid project... it means alot to me.

George I have stacked the cutting disc on the dremel and it works well for removing material fast. It would probably work for fluting but you would need some kind of a guide to keep the line straight. I have also used diamond burrs... you can get them really cheap at Harbor Freight and they come in all different sizes and shapes.

As for the forward guards, I thought about shortening them in this project. I certainly think it would make the basket more period and more proportional... my problem is that I can not weld. For someone who could weld it would probably not be too difficult to cut them off, shorten them and reweld them... there is plenty of material to work with. I agree they should be bent at the bottom and welded to the center bottom of the main knuckle guard.

Good luck on the project and be sure to let us see it when you are done... Happy

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Paulina L

PostPosted: Mon 18 Dec, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

HI EVERYONE!
I HAVE A QUESTION, HOPE SOMEBODY COULD HELP ME WITH SOME INFORMATION. I'D BE VERY THANKED.
IT'S ABOUT THE SHIELD Alastair Mor Grant HAS IN THAT PAINT. DOES SOMEBODY KNOWS IF IT'S DESIGN HAS SOME SYMBOLIC MEANING?... . MAY BE IT'S SOME CELTIC FIGURE? WHERE DOES IT BECOME FROM? ANY INFORMATION IS USEFUL TO ME.
I had a very important dream one year ago where that figure appeared. And now I found it in that paint!!!. That's why I'm so interested about it.
I excuse myself for not bring a contribuition to your discussion. (sorry , my english is not the best, not my lenguage) Eek!

well, that's all. thanks
have a great day
Paulina
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 18 Dec, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paulina L wrote:
HI EVERYONE!
I HAVE A QUESTION, HOPE SOMEBODY COULD HELP ME WITH SOME INFORMATION. I'D BE VERY THANKED.
IT'S ABOUT THE SHIELD Alastair Mor Grant HAS IN THAT PAINT. DOES SOMEBODY KNOWS IF IT'S DESIGN HAS SOME SYMBOLIC MEANING?... . MAY BE IT'S SOME CELTIC FIGURE? WHERE DOES IT BECOME FROM? ANY INFORMATION IS USEFUL TO ME.
I had a very important dream one year ago where that figure appeared. And now I found it in that paint!!!. That's why I'm so interested about it.
I excuse myself for not bring a contribuition to your discussion. (sorry , my english is not the best, not my lenguage) Eek!

well, that's all. thanks
have a great day
Paulina

Paulina,
Hello and welcome to myArmoury.com. Happy Please try to avoid posting in ALL-CAPITAL LETTERS. On the internet, that's seen as shouting.

I'm sure someone will be able to help you with the shield.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 19 Dec, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I won't speculate on the design inspiration for this targe, as it would be nothing more than guessing, but will add this little bit from Joe's site ! Welcome aboard, Paulina ! Mac

THE GRANT TARGE
This targe is based on 4 identical originals which came from the family armoury of the CHIEFS OF GRANT.
They are probably from the 17th century, and came from Castle Grant.

They are now in the National Museum in Edinburgh

*Information: Targemaker, Joe Lindsay, North Kessock, Scotland.
- http://targemaker.co.uk

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 Dec, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That was great fun to read! Well done. I think the finished sword looks awesome, again, well done.
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk,

Any news on the scabbard?

George,

Any news on the claydhemh crom of yours?

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to say thanks for sharing this, and for inspiring me to tackle a project...
although the one I had in mind seems to have gotten away (I was going to cut down an old bayonet into a sgian dhu, but all the ones left available have been sharped into near oblivion)...
but have often thought that I could rehilt a blade (or build a blade from a good blank) and generate a nice, comfortable - for me - short sword.
Not only do I like the looks of a shorter sword, but I like the notion that it's light and fast.
Thanks so much for sharing your talent!

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Paulina L

PostPosted: Fri 29 Dec, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much Thomas! It will help Big Grin
Have a nice day
Pau

(sorry for those capital letters)
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jan, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Bjoern Boegh wrote:
Kirk,

Any news on the scabbard?

Cheers,
Henrik

Hey Henrik...

It is still on my "to-do" list. I have just been extremely busy lately (Just got back from another 2 weeks of digging at Qumran).

I have been thinking ahead about the scabbard hardening project... just need to get busy on it.

Allen and Thomas

Thanks for taking the time to encourage me... I really enjoy being able to share my passion (obsession).

Take Care

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jan, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk...

I have been meaning to post a compliment. You did a great job on your hybrid sword and should be very proud of your effort.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Luka Tic

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That kinda reminds me of a rat tail tang.
Is it firm?

Luka
Kirk Lee Spencer

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Tic wrote:
That kinda reminds me of a rat tail tang.
Is it firm?

Hi Luka...

And welcome to the forum! It's good to have you here.

Both of the tangs pictured, the Cold Steel and the MRL are thick, although the Cold Steel is not as wide as the MRL at the shoulders (right where the tang meets the forte of the blade). Both do widen right at the shoulders... this is especially true of the MRL Cutlass blade. The main problem with "rat tail" tangs is not so much that they look like a rat tail at the pommel end, but whether they have enough thickness and width at the blade shoulder end. The reason is that, according to what I remember reading, when stress is passing through a material, it will concentrate at those areas where there is a change in property. So as stress is moving down the blade, it will concentrate at the shoulders where the blade forte narrows to the tang, so a wide or thicker tang in this area is what is most important. If the tang then narrows it is not as significant.

As a matter of fact, even the slight shape of the corner of the shoulders can significantly increase the chances of failure. If there is a very sharp corner between the base of the blade forte moving into the tang, the blade will be more suceptible to failure because of stress concentration. However if the corner is more rounded, the stress is more evenly distributed. So with all that said, the corner of the shoulders on the MRL cutlass blade is well rounded and quite wide at the beginning of the tang and thus should be fine. I have not cut anything larger than a 1inch diameter tree limb with it so it has not been tested much.

take care

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hybrid Cold Steel/MRL Baskethilted CutlassDIY Project
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: