9th-10th Century Helm in Czerny's Auction
[ Linked Image ]
This item immediately caught my attention... does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts concerning its origins? Intact helms of this period are, of course, extremely hard to come by and so this would appear, if accurately described, to be quite a find.
Well, the text says it's from central Europe, which is a rather broad definition. So it's probably from the Czech Republic or Poland.
"This helmet was made from 4 iron metalplates rivetted together. There are also holes for leather-laces. The helmet is deeply oxidized but still in good condition for its age. A very rare helmet type of the high middle ages."
At least that's what I was able to figure out with my rusty Latin and minor Italian skills.
13 a century of Steppe of Eurasia
Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
Well, the text says it's from central Europe, which is a rather broad definition. So it's probably from the Czech Republic or Poland.
"This helmet was made from 4 iron metalplates rivetted together. There are also holes for leather-laces. The helmet is deeply oxidized but still in good condition for its age. A very rare helmet type of the high middle ages."
At least that's what I was able to figure out with my rusty Latin and minor Italian skills.

You are not right!
It is frequent type 13 a century of Steppe of Eurasia. Often meets in southern regions of Russia
Re: 13 a century of Steppe of Eurasia
Nicola Tal wrote:
Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:

You are not right!
It is frequent type 13 a century of Steppe of Eurasia. Often meets in southern regions of Russia

Ahh. Thanks. I was wondering (worried) it might be something like that... "Central Europe" saw an awful lot of traffic during this period, so a helm of Eastern origin isn't surprising. Nicola, I don't suppose you'd be able to direct me to any more information/images of this type?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: