Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new Mercenari's Tailor Spangenhelm Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: My new Mercenari's Tailor Spangenhelm         Reply with quote

Oh, just got my new Spangenhelm from Allan and it's very sturdy and solid and I really love those rivets.

I don't have a digital camera yet but the one on the site is mine: Allan just modified his pattern a bit to make the helm more pointed and I like it better than the more rounded previous version.

Since mine is the one on the web site might as well just post a link to that page:
http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/product_inf...ucts_id=61

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: My new Mercenari's Tailor Spangenhelm         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Oh, just got my new Spangenhelm from Allan and it's very sturdy and solid and I really love those rivets.

I don't have a digital camera yet but the one on the site is mine: Allan just modified his pattern a bit to make the helm more pointed and I like it better than the more rounded previous version.

Since mine is the one on the web site might as well just post a link to that page:

'
Mr Thibodeau
Looks very nice. Is all of their stuff 'one-size fits all'? I ask because I'm cursed with a big head.
regards
Geoff
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: My new Mercenari's Tailor Spangenhelm         Reply with quote

[quote="Geoff Wood"]
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Mr Thibodeau
Looks very nice. Is all of their stuff 'one-size fits all'? I ask because I'm cursed with a big head.
regards
Geoff

In this case, you could have a look at www.gdfb.co.uk Their helmets are available with a 26,75 inch cirumfence version, wich should be big enough for just about everyone...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: My new Mercenari's Tailor Spangenhelm         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

'
Mr Thibodeau
regards
Geoff

Well, it fits me well with a 22.5" to 23" circumference head: It's a little smaller than the one I got a while back from an Albion moat sale that just looked a little off to me by being a bit too generous in size.

The lining does give some adjustment for size and it might also depend on what size you need with a maille coif + a linen coif worn under the helm. The nasal is far enough from my face that I can still wear my eyeglasses without the eyeglasses getting squashed on my face. Looks better without glasses but seeing is also good. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: My new Mercenari's Tailor Spangenhelm         Reply with quote

[quote="Elling Polden"]
Geoff Wood wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Mr Thibodeau
regards
Geoff

In this case, you could have a look at www.gdfb.co.uk Their helmets are available with a 26,75 inch cirumfence version, wich should be big enough for just about everyone...

Mr Polden
Thanks, I hadn't noticed that (which was rather careless of me because I've already got an order in with them for some mail(le)).
Regards
Geoff
Marc-Antoine Jean

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

gdff.co.uk seems to have some quite good stuff for its price but I've noticed some mistakes especially on the shapes of their german sallets and in the fitting of the visors.
When buyin' pieces of armour don't go cheap (O: Just take more time raising enough money and check the work of Patrick Thaden, Robert MacPherson, William Hurt and Francois L'Archevêque.
Their stuff is much more expensive but their work will still be "historical accurate" in 20 years. ANd they'll do helms exactly the size of your head, don't worry about that. For example, you can have an "historical accurate" german sallet for 550$ USD.
So, dou you want to go cheap and pay 300$ for a sallet (I use the sallet example but it should apply on every type of helm) and having to change it in 2 years? Or get one right now for 550$ and keep it for the next 20 years?
Many people here spent huge amount of money for blades....why not do the same for armour?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why? Because everybody has different requirements.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean,

That is a spiffy Spangenhelm!

(Sorry, I'm getting assistance for my alliteration addiction.) Razz

Seriously, very nice!

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
Hi Jean,

That is a spiffy Spangenhelm!

(Sorry, I'm getting assistance for my alliteration addiction.) Razz

Seriously, very nice!

Thanks, I like it. Big Grin I also have a Kite shield in the mail ( The postal kind, not maille the wearing kind. Razz I too can play with words. Wink Laughing Out Loud )

So with the Spangenhelm, hauberk, coif, gaddhjalt, Viking spear, splinted bracers and splinted greaves, gambison I sort of have the 11th century kit pretty much complete. ( Maybe not at the Living History level of historic accuracy, but good enough to play with. Razz )

Not sure if I want to paint the shield as I sort of like it in it's natural state.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marc-Antoine Jean wrote:
gdff.co.uk seems to have some quite good stuff for its price but I've noticed some mistakes especially on the shapes of their german sallets and in the fitting of the visors.
When buyin' pieces of armour don't go cheap (O: Just take more time raising enough money and check the work of Patrick Thaden, Robert MacPherson, William Hurt and Francois L'Archevêque.
Their stuff is much more expensive but their work will still be "historical accurate" in 20 years. ANd they'll do helms exactly the size of your head, don't worry about that. For example, you can have an "historical accurate" german sallet for 550$ USD.
So, dou you want to go cheap and pay 300$ for a sallet (I use the sallet example but it should apply on every type of helm) and having to change it in 2 years? Or get one right now for 550$ and keep it for the next 20 years?
Many people here spent huge amount of money for blades....why not do the same for armour?

Having seen and held a sallet by Francois L' Achevêque recently I can agree that the high end stuff is at a totally different level of desirability: Very attractive, well made, solid, aesthetically pleasing and well worth the money if one has the money !

I can also enjoy my rougher less expensive stuff that, is still well made, if not always strictly accurate historically or as pretty.

You do learn more about what period armour was like if you can afford the closest possible reproductions possible.

But as Nathan said, there is room for different wants, needs, or what one can afford: Still, an informed decision is based on knowing the difference between the varying levels of quality / historical accuracy. Big Grin

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 20 May, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: My new Mercenari's Tailor Spangenhelm         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

I think it looks great, Jean. I am not as familiar with historical helms and armor, but I happen to like Mr. Senefelder's work.

Quote:
I don't have a digital camera....
Still? Well, I guess you can't wear a camera on your head, and a helm will certainly be more sturdy. Laughing Out Loud
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 20 May, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: My new Mercenari's Tailor Spangenhelm         Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't have a digital camera....
Quote:
Still? Well, I guess you can't wear a camera on your head, and a helm will certainly be more sturdy. Laughing Out Loud

Hmmmmmmmm: Camera or helm ? Hmmmmm: Camera or sword ? Hmmmm: Camera or Rondel Dagger ? Hmmmmm: Camera or Kite Shield ................. Well, so far the camera lost. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 20 May, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marc-Antoine Jean wrote:
William Hurt and Francois L'Archevêque.

Websites for these guys?

I'm being lazy since I could probably Google them.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 20 May, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Marc-Antoine Jean wrote:
William Hurt and Francois L'Archevêque.

Websites for these guys?

I'm being lazy since I could probably Google them.

I don't think that François L'Archevêque has a web site but here is his E-Mail franklemalade@hotmail.com

Joe: Are you interested in his armour ( Sallet ) I posted a topic about or his small sword that someone else posted a topic ?
Or just general curiousity ? ( Just my curiousity ? Big Grin )

He also made a crossbow and a Swiss type Ballisar. ( Spelling ? ) So, I don't know what other things he has made or would make, but the Ballisar looked good in person, the crossbow I've only seen in Picts.
http://cf.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/francoislarcheveque/my_photos

Marc-Antoine Jean

PostPosted: Tue 23 May, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

he made another basler this week with a blade made by sl-armoury. He also began another holbein dagger with a beautiful hollow ground blade. He is working on a swiss longsword too (cool stuff) with another blade from SL. I've also post a topic about a smallsword last week I think....
So as soon has the holbein and the longsword are ready I'll post pictures. I'll also post pictures of my full milanese arms I've just recieve.
Last week he has trade a german sallet for a website, so I think he'll be on the web really soon.

For William Hurt his website is www.ageofarmour.com . The stuff there is outstanding and the site is really stylish (O:

jean, I'll be in Mtl this weekend so I'll try to borrow the crossbow if you want to take a look at it. Just confirm me in a private msg if that interrests you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new Mercenari's Tailor Spangenhelm
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic