Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The eighth annual Which Group do you belong to poll! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 

Which group do you belong to?
The Scots
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
The Celts
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
The Vikings
18%
 18%  [ 19 ]
The Knights
37%
 37%  [ 39 ]
The Samurai
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
The Chinese
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
The Romans
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
The Renaissance Men (or women)
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
Middle East / Far East
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
The Barbarians
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
South East Asia
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Miscellaneous Whiners
11%
 11%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 104

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: The eighth annual Which Group do you belong to poll!         Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

It’s time for the eighth annual “which group do you belong to poll.” I usually do this in April but of course this year I'm running late. How did it get to be May already anyway?

This year things are going to be a little different. In the past I've chosen a winner from the category that had the most votes, but I think that is skewing the numbers a bit as people try hard to be in the winning category. Therefore this year everyone will be eligible to win. That is, if you vote in the poll and then post in the thread then I will have one of my children choose a random number between 1 and the number of posts on the thread at the end of the contest. If you made that post then you are the winner. Three numbers will be chosen since I have three children and don't want them fighting about it. Happy If you make mulitple entries only your first entry in the thread counts. This poll is actually going to be placed on two forums this year instead of one so you are likely to have a bit of competition (the knights were winning to easily around here) I'm sure that is call clear as mud.

This year for first place I'm going to be giving away a brand new copy of The Complete Bladesmith still in the shrink wrap for first place. One of the Osprey Books (German Medieval Armies from 1300-1500) for second place and some trinket or other for third place. Happy

I'm the one who made up the poll so I'm the one who gets to make up the rules. Happy

This years categories are:

Category 1: The Scots
This group is a hard drinking hard fighting lot. Fiercely proud of their heritage they
will take their love of all things Scottish to incredible extremes. From time to time this
even leads some tough Scots lads to wear dresses…er tartans all in the name of Scotland
(or at least that is what they tell us). Members of this group are also fond of putting a “Mc” or
“Mac” in front of their surname. For example the “McChicken” or the “Mcrib”.
Scots are fond of their basket hilts, claymores, dirks and sgian dubhs.

Category 2: The Celts
The Celts call Scots the “newbies.” Also fiercely proud of their heritage. The Celts have
it from a reliable source that all that is good in the world descended from Celtdom just as
all that is bad in the world came from those dastardly Romans. The Celts are fond
of blue paint, streaking and of course their leaf blades. (In that order I think.)

Category 3:
On snowy days in the frozen North when visibility has been reduced the Vikings are often
mistaken for trolls or large bears (and I’m just talking about the women!) The Vikings are
a rough and ready bunch always willing to carouse or fight (and indeed sometimes with
Vikings you can’t tell which is which). They love those type X swords, lobated pommels and
something called an ax which we here at poll central are pretty sure is a myth.

Category 4: The Knights
Often mistaken for wandering ironmongeries the knights can easily be distinguished by all
the sheet metal that they wear. The knights are a idealistic group always searching for dragons
to slay, maidens to rescue and when all else fails windmills to tilt at. The knights greatest
pride is their medieval European swords of all types their greatest fear is powerful magnets.

Category 5: The Samurai
The samurai are a fearsome group of warriors. Not only do they have katana, wakizashi, and
tanto which everyone knows can cut though gun barrels, brick walls, volkswagon beetles and so
forth but when swords fail them they can always resort to words. In verbal duels they can stun their
opponents into insensibility by rambling on about menuki, tsuba, sushi, and various other esoteric
terms that only they know the meaning of.

Category 6: The Chinese are supposed to have endless numbers but such does not seem to be the case
on the forums since this group is usually pretty small. This group likes their tachi swords, daos and they
are absolutely convinced that you really can fly around in a bamboo forest.

Category 7: The Romans are a stolid business like lot. They enjoy marching about in large groups, fighting the
Celts, and talking about Caligula “Now there was an emperor.” They are fond of gladii in all their
forms as well as spatha, scutum etc. These guys are always ready to chase down the those naked celtic
streakers. (A scary thought in and of itself)

Category 8: The Renaissance Men (or women)
This group all carries an overgrown knitting needle about with them. For some reason they insist on
calling it a sword. They have even gone so far as to make up a name for it “rapier.” These folks are
also firm proponents of the rapier side in the eternal “rapier vs katana debate.

Category 10: Middle East / Far East
Members of this group are fond of curvy swords (talwars, scimitars), curvy daggers (jambiyas) and curvy
women (hey if you don’t know any examples I can’t help you.)

Category 11: The Barbarians
Members of this group have a tendency to be weight lifters, have all the Conan Movies on tape, and are reasonably
certain that when they get to Heaven, Arnold will be sitting in the big chair. These guys love huge swords, which only they can use. These swords were reliably reported to have been created by pouring liquid steel into a mold in a big rock.

Category 12: Southeast Asia
These guys love odd looking swords with odd names. Things like the parong, the kampilian, and the keris all make their hearts go pitter pat. Despite the exotic nature of their weaponry don’t underestimate them!

Category 13: Miscellaneous whiners
A couple of years ago I got in trouble with some folks who claimed that I had not put a category together that they and all their buddies would fit into. They made extravagant promises of huge participation in the poll if only this or that category were added. After all that ego stroking I added the categories and what did I get? Either one or no members in those
categories! Whoever it was that suggested elf didn’t even end up in the elf category. Therefore the miscellaneous
whiners category was born. If any of these groups gets more then a member this year I’ll give them a more respectable category. (This is all said very tongue in cheek folks don’t break out the pitchforks and torches just yet okay?)

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh folks, if you don't actually reply to this thread I have no way of knowing who you are...
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I'll do an early knight vote, although I'd probably be the peasant the knight was running down for sport rather than the knight himself.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Mon 08 May, 2006 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alba Gu Brath

..... but I knew ye knew that ;-) Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I remain a Category 13 miscellaneous whiner!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll remain steady this year and claim to be a Renaissance Man.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cat 4 Knights just like last year.

I'm not entirely sure why. Probably because I really like the longsword.
Or maybe I just want to belong to a majority for once. Wink
Alexander Hinman

Reading list: 50 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do so love my axe. Viking for me.
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've become a viking.

My 20 years of Nihonto loyalty evaporated after finally having the opportunity to train in several high profile arts.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Renaissance Man for me, not so much for the sword choice but for the attitude. ;-)

Bryce Felperin

Bryce Felperin
Member of the Autonomous Collective
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That fog is such a bother, you try to whistle at a girl and next thing ya know, your fighting a bear Big Grin

I'm a Viking all the way.
-James

The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since Sabreur isn't a category, I'll stick with Renaissance Man
Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

Category 3:
On snowy days in the frozen North when visibility has been reduced the Vikings are often
mistaken for trolls or large bears (and I’m just talking about the women!) The Vikings are
a rough and ready bunch always willing to carouse or fight (and indeed sometimes with
Vikings you can’t tell which is which). They love those type X swords, lobated pommels and
something called an ax which we here at poll central are pretty sure is a myth.

I'll go with Vikings!
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Formerly Ren Man, but judging by my collection I think I'll be a Knight this time. Big Grin

-Sir Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm...

No Romans? No Middle-Easterners? Only one Scot? I'm surprised! Eek!

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Viking.

I love all swords, but few things call to me like a Type X blade, waisted grip and two-part pommel. And all that we know of vikings and the Norse culture just sounds right for me - it's like the best parts of both pirate and ninja, all in one!

And all I needed to actually be one was be born a thousand years earlier... alas, as usual, I am late. Sad

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Category 13, a nice lucky number.         Reply with quote

Shieldmaiden of Rohan

I guess I'm a miscellaneous whiner. Happy

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've always been a knight in previous polls - time for something different. I jump into the misky whiner's pool. I am a Late Bronze Age Achaean warrior, head of the contingent from Naxos, lounging in front of my one ship, beached on the shoreline before Troy. Big battle tomorrow. I'll let you know if I take down any Trojan heroes.
Ville Vinje

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Proud Swedish viking from Uppsala!

27%...The vikings are coming!!! Big Grin
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We are the knights who say 'Ni!" You will bring us a shrubbery. Then, cut down the largest tree in the forest with a herring.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The eighth annual Which Group do you belong to poll!
Page 1 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: