Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bad pictures of my latest acquisition Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 May, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Bad pictures of my latest acquisition         Reply with quote

Sorry about the picture quality here, I took these in some awful light last night but still wanted to show this one...

This all metal Rondel Dagger is by "Tod's Stuff" http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/html/tradmats.php in the UK. I'd been wanting to get a rondel dagger for a while and was going to get the one from A&A (I still intend to actually) but I happened to be perusing this site and saw this all metal version. I really liked the design so I emailed them to see how much having something like it made would cost and he replied noting that the one on his page was still available. So I jumped on it. I'll do a full review on it on my site eventually, but first impressions are that it is nicely done. It's all metal construction (he told me the blade steel but I disremember at the moment). It's a large dagger with an 4.25 inch handle and 13 inch blade. The blade has a strong mid rib on both sides. The blade grind is nicely done. As is the metal work on the rondels and the handle. The only negatives are a somewhat rough fit where the blade meets the lower rondel and a couple of small dings in the edge of the upper rondel. The engraving work on the handle is nice and as an unexpected bonus the dagger came with a heavy, decorated leather sheath complete with metal finial.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 15 May, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks nice Russ.

Is it double edged? About how thick is the blade near the hilt?
From about what period? Is it based on a particular historical example?

Thanks

Gordon
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 15 May, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
Looks nice Russ.

Is it double edged? About how thick is the blade near the hilt?
From about what period? Is it based on a particular historical example?

Thanks

Gordon

Hey Gordon,

Yes, it is double edged, and although I haven't measured it I would guess it is between 1.5 inches and 1.75 inches at the base. If I was to guess at time period I would say probably mid to late 15th century. It's my understanding that earlier they would not have all metal grips and later the size of the lower rondel would have been smaller then the upper rondel. I'm sure someone will set me straight if I'm wrong there. Rondels are a bit difficult because they enjoyed such widespread popularity for so long. I am not aware of any particular historical example that this one was based on, I think this one came right out of Tod's head. Happy

Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 15 May, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like that piece. Cool
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 15 May, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
I really like that piece. Cool

Thanks Michal, I can't say I got it at a steal or anything but I'm really fond of it as well! I've discovered I really like this style of dagger. It seems very utilitarian but also in this case at least as a nice aesthetic.

Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 15 May, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm, I just might be ordering from that site in the future myself. :-)

Your Rondel looks superb. Is it naturally that blue in color, it looks really good on it.

FYI, from what I've been told by others, historical Rondels come in two varieties. The ones shaped as knives were used more by commoners for general purpose since they could function like a dagger or camp knife. The round spike Rondels were for specialized use by knights for stabbing through armor and were carried especially as a backup for this only.

I myself prefer multi-purpose tools when possible rather than specific purpose ones when possible. So I myself would go for one just like yours Russ.

Bryce Felperin

Bryce Felperin
Member of the Autonomous Collective
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 15 May, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Bryce,

Sadly, the blue color is simply a result of the awful picture quality... Happy

Good thoughts on the relative utility of different blade types. I read somewhere (I think it might have even been here) that there were even some blades that had a cruciform cross section... which says weapon not utility to me... Mine being double edged is probably more weapon oriented as well but you are right about them being a utility tool. I've seen period pictures of masons and carpenters and the like with rondel daggers on their hips.

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 15 May, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a better picture...

Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 15 May, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Real nice with that thick mid ridge. How thick is the blade near the guard ? Width you said 1.5 " to 1.75 " although the question by Gordon was about thickness. Eek! Confused

I have to get back to Craig about my Rondel project as the final dotting of i(s) and crossing of t(s) i.e. price hasn't been confirmed yet.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
James Atkins

PostPosted: Mon 15 May, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also had Todd make me a rondel recently. Mine has a triangular cross section blade and horn handle. I was very pleased with both the work, and his customer service.

Attachment: 32.71 KB
rondel.JPG

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 16 May, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Real nice with that thick mid ridge. How thick is the blade near the guard ? Width you said 1.5 " to 1.75 " although the question by Gordon was about thickness. Eek! Confused

I have to get back to Craig about my Rondel project as the final dotting of i(s) and crossing of t(s) i.e. price hasn't been confirmed yet.

Oops, didn't realize that was the actual question... I need to measure both things anyway I hadn't done either one... I'll get back to you on that... Happy

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 16 May, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Atkins wrote:
I also had Todd make me a rondel recently. Mine has a triangular cross section blade and horn handle. I was very pleased with both the work, and his customer service.

Nice one James! It's hard to tell without anything to use as a scale but it looks like that dagger is extremely long what are the dimensions?

James Atkins

PostPosted: Tue 16 May, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's just about the same size as your's. About 18" total with a blade a bit over 13." Here's another pic with a pen for scale.
-James

Attachment: 66.89 KB
DSCN1207.JPG

Attachment: 52.86 KB
DSCN1209.JPG

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 16 May, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice! I really like that one too! Darn it I can't afford another one of these right now! Happy What do you think of the sheath? The bit that goes around the rondel is interesting. Mine doesn't have that...
James Atkins

PostPosted: Tue 16 May, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think he did a great job on the sheath. It's leather over wood with tooling and a steel throat and chappe. It looks very nice, and I probably get as many compliments on it as I do on the dagger. The leather disk is made of very thick leather that is shaped a bit, and the inside is carved out to accept the rondel. It's a little strange, but I like it. I've seen several of his sheaths witht he same design. I think he uses it on the blades with a triangular cross section.
-James
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 16 May, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From our Spotlight on Rondel Daggers:

Quote:
Scabbards
There are no surviving examples of 14th century rondel dagger scabbards but there are many effigies and monumental brasses which show such objects. These suggest that the scabbards were most likely made entirely of leather with metal chapes at the tip and metal lockets at the throat of the scabbard, which reached to the guard but rarely encased the lower rondel. Usually the body of the scabbard and the metal lockets and chapes were decorated with some tooled design or engraving.

A number of 15th century scabbards survive and these lack almost any metal parts and in many cases the throat of the scabbard encloses the lower rondel of the dagger. In the 16th century the scabbards became more like the 14th century ones, with metal chapes and not enclosing the lower rondels, but were more ornate and elaborate.

So on 15th century examples it was not uncommon to have the sheath/scabbard overlap or cover the bottom rondel.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 16 May, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Atkins wrote:
I think he did a great job on the sheath. It's leather over wood with tooling and a steel throat and chappe. It looks very nice, and I probably get as many compliments on it as I do on the dagger. The leather disk is made of very thick leather that is shaped a bit, and the inside is carved out to accept the rondel. It's a little strange, but I like it. I've seen several of his sheaths witht he same design. I think he uses it on the blades with a triangular cross section.
-James

Oh really so that one is actually a scabbard! He did a nice job on the finial on mine as well, Mr. Tod, really needs to put some more pictures up, his work isn't cheap but it's very very nice and he should have a lot more chatter going on around here then he does.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 16 May, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
he should have a lot more chatter going on around here then he does.

I agree. I'd love to have one of his rondel daggers. Unfortunately, I'm under-funded.

I'd love to see more people to post about his stuff or, better yet, buy items and do a formal review for our bank of reviews. We've spent a lot of time smoothing this process for authors and we have easy-to-use templates, samples, and guides for reviews, articles, and photos. If anyone wants to do a review, let us know.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Tue 16 May, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice pick up Russ,
you too James,
Russ,if you chat to Todd again,
ask him if he has pics of the one he had at coventry last year,the handle had alot of piercework covering and the discs had loads too set over the steel,
it wasnt cheap otherwise i'd have picked it up,but it was certainly worth what he was asking,
Todd also did a high end scabbard for a sword mark vickers had at the show that was very impressive,
gotta agree about the lack of pics on his site not helping,some of his work i've seen at shows is extrtemely well done,
Again not cheap,But more than far for the items,real nice chap too, Big Grin Cool
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 16 May, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

I agree. I'd love to have one of his rondel daggers. Unfortunately, I'm under-funded.

Happy Trust me I am too now... Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bad pictures of my latest acquisition
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: