Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 15th C. Middle Europe Infantryman Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 14 May, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: 15th C. Middle Europe Infantryman         Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
I have an idea to start a new project of a first half of the 15th C. Middle Europe infantryman (especially from Poland and Hungary), but I don't have enough information. What I know is as follows (from top to bottom):
1. kettle hat (usually)
2. coif
3. hauberk, usually with some additional harness - breastplate, light cuirass or brigandine
4. pike and sword
5. shield, usually some variant of pavise
Could anyone help me with some more detailed info or advice?

Thanks in advance
Boris

"Everyone who has the right to wear a long sword, has to remember that his sword is his soul,
and he has to separate from it when he separates from his life"
Tokugawa Ieyasu

Find my works on Facebook:
Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sun 14 May, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

begining 15th c? as in 1400-1430s?

not a brig. a true brig comes later in 15thc i believe. and coat of plates are out of style. globose breastplate i think fit in here better. jupons too.

now in poland i'm not sure whats in style or what current country style they follow.

bassinets i believe are also seen a lot.

small heater shields and long pavases are seen as well.
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 15 May, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Basicly the same style as in germany.But in this period we didn't use much hand combat infantry but mostly crossbowmen(at least I read this somewhere)
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 15 May, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
Basicly the same style as in germany.But in this period we didn't use much hand combat infantry but mostly crossbowmen(at least I read this somewhere)

Agree!

As I understand it the crossbowmen dubbled as light infantery! So a maille and jack kettlehat or early sallad, sidearm (messer or sword) and the everpresent dagger. would fit you good.

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 16 May, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, men! Thanks for the replies.
Michel, actually, I think you are the guy I need, because my idea is a project of a infantryman, participated in the Battle of Varna 1444, led by the Polish King Wladislaw III Yagelo (I hope I wrote the name correct), who lost his life there for Bulgarian freedom. The problem is that Christian army actually was an alliance of many nations - Poles, Hungars, Slovaks, Cheks and many others, and that's why I want to create a kit, which is a mixure of all Central Europe nations, who took part in the battle.
So, maille, kettle hat (or sallet), sword, dagger and shield are OK?
What about pike or halberd?

Regards
Boris

"Everyone who has the right to wear a long sword, has to remember that his sword is his soul,
Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 16 May, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Michel, actually, I think you are the guy I need, because my idea is a project of a infantryman, participated in the Battle of Varna 1444, led by the Polish King Wladislaw III Yagelo (I hope I wrote the name correct), who lost his life there for Bulgarian freedom. The problem is that Christian army actually was an alliance of many nations - Poles, Hungars, Slovaks, Cheks and many others, and that's why I want to create a kit, which is a mixure of all Central Europe nations, who took part in the battle.
So, maille, kettle hat (or sallet), sword, dagger and shield are OK?
What about pike or halberd?

It was not Wladislaw II Jagiello but Wladyslaw III Warnenczyk(called Warnenczyk because he was killed in the batlle of Warna).

I'm not really sure about using inafntry by christian forces in that battle.I know that muslims had jenissary infantry (they made some field fortifications that stopped stupid charge of polish cavalry-and it was the time when Turkish calvary was already defeated !!)I'll check it in some books.

Pikes were used by polish infantry.I've read that halberd was not as popular as elswhere-but also possible.And pavise-I think can be also shorter version-about 70-80cm long.

www.elchon.com

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 17 May, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I checked it.Christian forces had some infantry used in hussite-like war wagons.Also their equipment was similar to hussites.
www.elchon.com

Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 27 May, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal!
Actually, from the tactical point of view, I don't think that the attack of the Polish cavalry was "stupid". At the time when king Wladislaw III decided to charge the Turkish center (where he was killed), the Turkish left flank was seriuosly engaged by the forces of Janos Huniady, while the right was already leaving the battlefield in disorder and only the center with the jenissary and sultan Murad II remained organized. So, I think that king Wladislaw III took correct military descision - the charge was not stupid, only the results were tragic

Regards!
Boris

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Boris Bedrosov's Armoury

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 15th C. Middle Europe Infantryman
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic