Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > composite and long bows Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: composite and long bows         Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
Yesterday evening on PBS I watched a program focusing on the monguls. One topic of the program focused on the composite bow used on horseback. This fellow who is appearantly an expert on the subject was using very traditional techniques in the construction of such bows (very interesting). He also used both the composite bow and an english long bow in various exercises.

In any case the claim was made that the composite bow had superior penetrating power compared to the english long bow. Both bows were used against a metal disk in single and double layers that were claimed to represent the average thickness of plate armor. No draw weight was mentioned on either bow.

I, for some reason, was under the impression that the english long bow would have superior penetrating power. Now PBS is generally a good source of info (far superior to the discovery channel). Did anyone notice this program or have any comments regarding this?

Jeremy
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, this should be interesting. Eek! Bow, arrows, plate armour versus arrow penetration: Lots of opinions ( Arguments ) in previous topic posts ?

The problem with a test in a program like this is that without any statistics about draw weights and arrow weights, coming to some reliable conclusions about the test is really just superficial guess work.

From all those previous topics my very " un-expert " impressions were that composite bows used lighter arrows and that the maximum range might be greater than a longbow but that the much heavier longbow arrows would have more momentum to possibly pierce plate armour at close range under ideal conditions.

Personally I have just read a lot of conflicting opinions on different topics threads on different sites Forums and I tend to the conclusion that results can vary widely depending on combinations of factors: High quality armour versus low power bow versus low quality plate versus maximum power bows, angle the arrow hits the plate, range etc ..... will give a very wide range of results. And the general conclusion that if armour was always proof against arrows, bows would not have been used and that if bows were overwhelmingly effective against armour, armour would not have been worn: The " real situation" being in a wide grey zone in between.

Oh, and no I didn't see this program and I'm just summarizing my own uncertainties about the subject based on what I have previously read here. Confused Confused Confused

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Plate armour was tested against crossbows in general (the heavy ones which needed a windlass or other tools). A good 15th century breastplate was usually crossbow-proof and a crossbow has far more penetrating power than either a long-bow or a composite bow. The expirement with the 3 metal-disks is nonsense.
Would you wear a kevlar-vest if it wasn't bullet-proof? Same thing here I guess *g*
There is one source about a mercenary in Italy during a siege (I think it was the company of "insert name here") being covered under a shower of arrows and bolts and suffering no damage at all due to his armour.

This should help as well: http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s...adid=41041
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
Plate armour was tested against crossbows in general (the heavy ones which needed a windlass or other tools). A good 15th century breastplate was usually crossbow-proof and a crossbow has far more penetrating power than either a long-bow or a composite bow. The expirement with the 3 metal-disks is nonsense.
Would you wear a kevlar-vest if it wasn't bullet-proof? Same thing here I guess *g*
There is one source about a mercenary in Italy during a siege (I think it was the company of "insert name here") being covered under a shower of arrows and bolts and suffering no damage at all due to his armour.

This should help as well: http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s...adid=41041

I haven't read the linked topic yet but I agree in great part with the above with one comment / question: If armour was proofed for crossbow bolts doesn't this mean that some lower quality plate wasn't expected to stop powerful crossbow bolts or later musket balls ? If any ordinary average armour plate was considered 100% effective against bolts there would be no point or marketing advantage of distinguishing " proofed " armour from cheap ? On the other hand maybe most good plate would be crossbow bolt proof but unscrupulous makers and vendors might try to sell substandard " junk " Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Oh, a kevlar vest might be worth wearing because it can stop most handgun bullets but still be vulnerable to rifle bullets ?
And rifle bullet proof kevlar wont stop a .50 machine gun round ? If armour can stop 80% of the projectiles likely encountered, it is still worth wearing in spite of the other 20%. I just have reservations about any " All or nothing " arguments. Big Grin But that is just my bias.

Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good point, but I don't know how greedy armourrers were back then *g*
That's probably why you should only buy labels you know, like stuff that has Landshut or Milan-stamps on it Wink

On rare occasions it might happen that a bolt goes through some weaker part of the plate (breast-plates and helmets were often thicker than arm- and leg-parts) assuming that it was fired at an extemely close range and at the right angle.
But if we trust Dr. Alan Williams ( http://www.rdg.ac.uk/engin/home/material/ancient/AW_poster.jpg ),then you were quite safe in plate-armour from cross-bows and even early firearms.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The above-linked SFI thread mentions a passage by Carpini who wrote extensively on the Mongols. In the relevant passage he talks about Mongol arrows being able to penetrate mail, implying that European arrows could not do this. However he also suggests that "double mail" was capable of resisting Mongol arrows - even arrows that were specifically designed to be armour-piercers.
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Composite bows have somewhat more power per draw draw weight than self bows like the English longbow. However, a self bow shooting heavy arrows could easily end up with more punch than a composite bow shooting light arrows. Also, the bows the Mongols used from horseback were probably quite a bit lighter than English longbows, on average.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good point, but I don't know how greedy armourrers were back then *g*
That's probably why you should only buy labels you know, like stuff that has Landshut or Milan-stamps on it Wink

On rare occasions it might happen that a bolt goes through some weaker part of the plate (breast-plates and helmets were often thicker than arm- and leg-parts) assuming that it was fired at an extemely close range and at the right angle.
But if we trust Dr. Alan Williams ( http://www.rdg.ac.uk/engin/home/material/ancient/AW_poster.jpg ),then you were quite safe in plate-armour from cross-bows and even early firearms.

Just read the article and it's very convincing overall. Again one point is that power / piercing of armour is evaluated according to the energy delivered in joules and I assume that this is with an efficient point or edge.

Just as an example: Someone drops a ten pound weight on your foot from shoulder height. What effect would one expect on your foot if:

1 ) Ten pound spear through you foot, pointy end first not sideways obviously. Razz

2 ) A ten pound lead weight, ouch ,ouch, ouch Eek!

3 ) A ten pound cotton ball, a small " hey watch it ". Wink

Now, I'm assuming the article is talking about efficient use of point or edge but raw energy figures are just part of the story.

Oh, that ten pound cotton ball at 5,000 feet per second .......... Get out of the way. Laughing Out Loud

For all practical purposes I'm starting to be convinced that armour gave very good protection from piercing by most arrows or crossbow bolts if the quality wasn't substandard for the period. Since bows and crossbows were used they must have been effective for a variety of reasons already mentioned in many different topic threads such as: Not everyone on the battlefield was fully armoured, some arrows would find weak points or eyeslits, horses were mostly vulnerable, the impact of arrows could cause some blunt trauma without piercing maille or plate or be at least very distracting and archers were generally not alone but part of a tactical system including other types of close quarter armed footmen and Cavalry.

Just summarizing a whole bunch of topic posts recently read.

Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Sun 14 May, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's a very interesting battle during the Peloponnesian War as recorded by Thucydides.
The Athenians had isolated a group of several hundred Spartan Hoplites on the island of Sphakteria. As a hoplite you have very good protection against missile weapons - a bronze breast-plate, a Corinthian Helmet covering most of your face, greaves, and of course the large hoplite shield. As long the phalanx stayed in order everything was good.

Ok, back to Sphakteria. The Athenians managed to win over these guys by employing lightly armed troops (peltasts) using javelins and bows. They simply surrounded them and showered them with missiles for several hours. Everytime the Spartans charged the Athenians retreated and another group of peltasts started shooting at them from another direction. Ok, this was only possible since it was a rather small island and the terrain was bad for hoplites. However, the interesting thing is that the Spartans held out for so long before surrendering despite being attacked with hundreds arrows and javelins. So the armour back then was already pretty good.
However, Thucydides mentions that quite a few Spartans were killed by missile weapons. IIRC he said that the helmets offered no sufficient protection against javelins and one Spartan lamented that the arrows killed brave men and cowards alike making no difference.
Nevertheless, pretty good for bronze-armour Happy

Has anybody made any destructive test with bronze breast-plates? I wonder how good they were against spears or even two-handed Sarissas.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sun 14 May, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's a very interesting battle during the Peloponnesian War as recorded by Thucydides.
The Athenians had isolated a group of several hundred Spartan Hoplites on the island of Sphakteria. As a hoplite you have very good protection against missile weapons - a bronze breast-plate, a Corinthian Helmet covering most of your face, greaves, and of course the large hoplite shield. As long the phalanx stayed in order everything was good.

Ok, back to Sphakteria. The Athenians managed to win over these guys by employing lightly armed troops (peltasts) using javelins and bows. They simply surrounded them and showered them with missiles for several hours. Everytime the Spartans charged the Athenians retreated and another group of peltasts started shooting at them from another direction. Ok, this was only possible since it was a rather small island and the terrain was bad for hoplites. However, the interesting thing is that the Spartans held out for so long before surrendering despite being attacked with hundreds arrows and javelins. So the armour back then was already pretty good.
However, Thucydides mentions that quite a few Spartans were killed by missile weapons. IIRC he said that the helmets offered no sufficient protection against javelins and one Spartan lamented that the arrows killed brave men and cowards alike making no difference.
Nevertheless, pretty good for bronze-armour Happy

Most hoplites by the time of the Peloponnesian war were not wearing bronze armour. Body armour was a linothorax or nothing at all and helmets were far more open than the Corinthian. IIRC Thucydides suggests that they may have been made of hide or felt, not bronze. The Spartans were relatively safe only so long as they stayed in formation and were covered by a line of shields.

Quote:
Has anybody made any destructive test with bronze breast-plates? I wonder how good they were against spears or even two-handed Sarissas.

The only citation I can find is Philip Henry Blyth, Reading Uni, (1977) "The effectiveness of Greek armour against arrows in the Persian War (490-479B.C.)" but I haven't found a copy of the paper yet.

Last edited by Dan Howard on Sun 14 May, 2006 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sun 14 May, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Composite bows have somewhat more power per draw draw weight than self bows like the English longbow. However, a self bow shooting heavy arrows could easily end up with more punch than a composite bow shooting light arrows. Also, the bows the Mongols used from horseback were probably quite a bit lighter than English longbows, on average.

True. However the Mongols often employed their bows at shorter ranges than English longbowmen and used direct fire rather than volley fire. These tactics would increase the likelihood of penetrating mail.
Risto Rautiainen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 May, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Regarding the inherit properties of longbows and recurve composites. The recurve bows have more efficient draw weight curves than longbows ie. they can store more energy at the same draw weight. Because of this they can hurl arrows with greater speed than the long bow, when shooting arrows of same weight. There have been claims that longbows can shoot heavy war arrows better thatn composites (thus better penetrative power), but those claims have been rebutted by tests of heavy composites made by Adam Karpowicz. Of course there are more and less efficient designs and crappy craftmanship, but as a general rule, the recurve bow is superior in efficiency. And because of the composite structure of the recurve bow it can take more shock from sending ultra-light arrows than a self bow could. Thus the recurve bow has a reputation of shooting very far. But as we all know, this does not make the recurve bow superior, just different. And I really don't know if there have been as heavy recurves as the long bow is said to be, of if those heavy recurves have been used in horse archery. Or if they ever used heavy war arrows like the long bow would have used.

OH, I guess Benjamin already summed all that up...
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Mon 15 May, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
There have been claims that longbows can shoot heavy war arrows better thatn composites (thus better penetrative power), but those claims have been rebutted by tests of heavy composites made by Adam Karpowicz.

Yeah, though the difference isn't huge. About 152 J from the 136 lb Turkish bow shooting a 1548 grain arrow. A 150 lb longbow managed 146 J with a 1662.5 grain arrow.

Quote:
And I really don't know if there have been as heavy recurves as the long bow is said to be,

Probably. I don't buy the old figure that every Mongol used a 166 lb bow from horseback, but I suspect they used very heavy bows when on foot. IIRC, a number of sources from different times and places note how foot archers shot more powerful bows than horse archers.

It's hard to say for anything for sure about composite bow weights, though. We a work like The Great Warbow focused on composite bows.

Quote:
Or if they ever used heavy war arrows like the long bow would have used.

Again, probably. A Mamluk manual talks about using arrows with "exceedingly large" heards to pierce any kind of armour. It specifically mentions piercing shields, armour plates and shoulder-guards.

http://www.caama.ca/kitab/c5.html
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Thu 25 May, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Quote:
There have been claims that longbows can shoot heavy war arrows better thatn composites (thus better penetrative power), but those claims have been rebutted by tests of heavy composites made by Adam Karpowicz.

Yeah, though the difference isn't huge. About 152 J from the 136 lb Turkish bow shooting a 1548 grain arrow. A 150 lb longbow managed 146 J with a 1662.5 grain arrow.

'only' 25% Wink
and that in the function the composite bow does not excell at.
The composite bow is a lot faster because of compression and extension of bone and sinew.
The distance that a 70 lbs. turkish covers with ease and rapid fire is well beyond the physics of the selfbow.
I find that shooting from horseback more than 50 lbs. becomes inefficient since you loose time. I have several and I like my small 35 lbs. turkish most. It is under 3 foot, will draw to 34" and is increadibly fast to use.
I can well imagine the mongol tactic of having three arrows in the air and shooting the fourth at close distance before either retreating or engaging with their long or short sword.
The mongol horseman usually carried two bows of different drawweights and well over a dozen different types of arrows.

The crossbow is something completely different.

Peter
Randal Graham
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 25 May, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The construction of the bow has really nothing to do with it, aside from how fast it casts a given arrow.
It's arrow weight, or the mass of the projectile, coupled with the velocity of the projectile, that'll determine the performance of the projectile in any situation.
If one bow casts a given weight projectile faster than another, then that bow will provide greater performance, including penetration.

R.H.Graham
Swordsmith
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Fri 26 May, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randal Graham wrote:
If one bow casts a given weight projectile faster than another, then that bow will provide greater performance, including penetration.

You've got it and thát is where the construction of sinew and bone sandwidching a wooden core is souperior to wooden self.
Both the energy stored when extended/compressed and the greater draw length at a given bowlength add up to this. The composite bow is a lot lighter for a given drawweight meaning more acceleration and speed for the given draw-energy.

Even the details of the construction like the unstrung form and the anlge/length of the 'ears' of the composite bow have enourmous influance on how the bow behaves.

Another quite seperate factor is the technigue to loose the arrow. The thumb release is more sudden and gives more acceleration-time of which the composite bow can take more advantage.

All this had been scientifically well researched and quite a bit is availeble on line.

As for practical: you do not have to be a rocket scientist to grasp that a bow half the length, a third of the weight, drawing longer arrows at a lighter draw weight giving the same punching power is quicker to use and can easily shoot more arrows.
One also has to remember that the composite bow had it's top when armour was not perfect. The horseman did not nééd maximum penetration potential and did not weild 130 lbs. bows! They wanted as many arrows shot as possible. They drew max. 100 lbs. with their larger long-range bow and max. 70 with their short range.
My 35 lbs. turkish shoots a 33" wood with the field point júst though a straw bale at 100 metres. I can have the 3rd arrow in the air before the first one strikes the bale and mind you I am a VERY unaccomplished archer; barely not dangerous.
I could not do this with a longer and heavier selfbow which I consequently sold to buy another composite Laughing Out Loud

For mé the riddle is not about the selfbow or the composite: the answer to that is about availebility of materials, skills, production capacity and difference in tactical use. This is why p.e. the Chinese used the crossbow and the composite bow for cénturies in vastly different tactical manouvres. Since in western europe even Ghengis had problem managing his cavalry and original cavalry tactics it is not surprising that the cultures from european heartland develloped differing tactics and thus - weapons. Also have a look at the Frankish swords and 'machettes' compaired to the early mongolian ones: different.
Same goes for the saddles; heavy shock-warfare versus light skirmish cavalry: the Franks had extremely deep and high cantles/pommels and the Nimudians rode without...

For me the realy strange riddle is why the Numidian cavalry threw javelins when they had been familiar with the bow for hunting for 20.000 years and had also come into contact with the composite bow albeit fairly late in their cavalry 'career'.
Anybody know or have aguess as to what is the advantage of a handfull of javelins over a bow? This specific skirmish tactic was develloped over difficult terrain and gave p.e. Ceasar 'wonderfull trouble' in Numidia and was effectively used for over 500 years.
Í just do not see it. Is the javelin that much more damaging at close range or what?

Peter
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Fri 26 May, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Is the javelin that much more damaging at close range or what?

Probably. Olympic-level throwers can supposedly put 360 J into their javelins, which is way more power than any bow. Darts throwing by an atlalt can be even more potent.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > composite and long bows
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic