Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Capable of crushing the stoutest armor or helmets... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Capable of crushing the stoutest armor or helmets...         Reply with quote

Just don't swing it at particle board!!

So I bought an MRL Footman's war Hammer "Capable of crushing the stoutest armor or helmets...a devastating weapon..." on closeout. Fortunately it was C-H-E-A-P. Unfortuantely, as they say, you get what you pay for. One the first test out of the box, on the first swing against some old particle board, this devastating weapon's wooden handle broke below the langets. Saying that the wooden handle exploded like the balsa wood prop lances in A Knight's Tale might be a more accurate description.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/eCat/S...ammer.aspx

My handle was much lighter in color than the one pictured.

All the metal parts appear to be okay, and they will become my first home project, but based on this purchase, the wood is as bad as everyone says. In fact, I dare say the company should be embarassed to use it. The wood is that bad. It splits and chunks like pine, but really more like sick pine on a very bad day.

Besides the handle, the construction is a curious mix of historical and modern in that they use screws and pins. So far this is making disassembly a complete pain in the rump. All that said, when cheap, I think the piece has some potential. It may never work for Living History, but as shipped it will make a nice accent piece as long as you don't swing it and make contact with anything, and with some work the useful componets might just make a nice tool.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Cory Winslow

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought one of these a few years ago, and it has held up very nicely. I've tested in on coconuts, stumps, pieces of 16 gauge plate, mail, and pumpkins at full force and the biggest problem I've had is getting it un-stuck from the heavier objects I've hit. Mine, like yours, has a much lighter wood color than the one in the picture. Who knows, maybe I got a freakishly good one?
Visit our school at:
www.memag.net
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A friend of mine bought on some time ago(years) and it has an Ash handle. It has held up nicely. Inversely I purchased a Crusader Axe which was hilted with a wood unknown to me which cracked then broke completely. It was reddish though. An Indain hardwood? Well I rehilted that axe with a nice piece of oak. Since has been sold.
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I used to have a MRL bec de corbin. My experience is very similar to yours, Joe. I did two swings at watermelons (Galagher style!), then a student of mine gave it a swing. He'd missed the target, went pass the stand and hit the mud, not very hard. The wood practically exploded, and I even thought of the same analogy you used of the balsa wood lances in Knight's Tale. On mine the metal langets warped really badly, too. I ended up selling the metal parts, but based on this, and of other tales I keep hearing, I'll never buy a MRL hafted weapon.

Cory, glad to hear yours isn't a lemon. Seems you lucked out. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe,
I had hoped that they had gotten better in the years since I bought (and promptly returned) one of those. The wood on the one I had was very light and didn't seem sturdy.

That's too bad, man. You could always get your money back. Their return policy is great.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another thing I noticed is that if one orders numerous things at the same time things they have in stock may be delayed by something else in the order that is back ordered. It may be possible to get the item in stock shipped right away on request but that will double the shipping costs. I might be wrong here as I'm basing myself on my memory and their actual shipping policy should be checked either in their FAC or by E-Mail.

One work around would be to order one thing at a time unless they are all presently in stock.

As to quality I'm so far pleased with their Anelace as their steel seems real hard as well as flexible: Hand sharpening this one is a challenge from it's unsharpened 1 or 2 mm edge.

The Medieval chopper looks O.K. , if not very historical in construction, and has a sturdy full tang: The only thing I don't like is that the steel is much softer than the Anelace blade; a file barely bites into the Anelace while sharpening, the chopper with a file was easy to sharpen. I would estimate that the chopper is about as hard as a typical machete, so it would be useable as a weapon or in the modern contexts would make a decent brush clearing tool.

Somewhat all over the place, but I guess with MRL it's a product by product thing and a quality control thing for each item of a specific model.

On the plus side my E-Mails were generally answered within a few days and shipping issues addressed to my satisfaction in a polite and professional way.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Could return it but I'm going to keep it and play with it.

I was actually working on cutting and sanding the handle down earlier. It was going to become a very short horseman's hammer, but there were so many darn knots in the wood that whole handle is a write off. About the time I'd get things back into working shape, a chunk of wood would literally fall out of the handle and I'd have to start over.

Not sure about the design, the langets are seperate pieces, but the steel seems decent enough. If I can pull the two main rivets on the head without mucking things up, I should be able to refit a handle easy enough. Also going to replace the stupid modern brass screws.

Something to do I guess. I'm just very surpised that they used whatever this crap wood is. For my part, any future hafted purchases from MRL will be made with the assumption that they are project pieces and I'm just buying parts.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cory Winslow wrote:
I bought one of these a few years ago, and it has held up very nicely. I've tested in on coconuts, stumps, pieces of 16 gauge plate, mail, and pumpkins at full force and the biggest problem I've had is getting it un-stuck from the heavier objects I've hit. Mine, like yours, has a much lighter wood color than the one in the picture. Who knows, maybe I got a freakishly good one?

Don't know but it seems like that's always the problem with their stuff.

Luck of the draw.

George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you guys think I should reshaft my MRL glaive? I'd hate to swing it and have the head fly off and impale someone.
To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
Do you guys think I should reshaft my MRL glaive? I'd hate to swing it and have the head fly off and impale someone.

Maybe wrap the head well with bubble wrap and duct tape and then test it by hitting something hard but not too hard as anything can be destroyed if abused enough.

If it survives it's probably O.K. and if it turns to kindling you would have made a new shaft for it anyway not being confident in it's soundness. Eek! Just a suggestion. Big Grin

Oh, wear eye protection at least and gloves and some place safe if it does fly off.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:

Just make sure you test it with decent clearance from other people and perhaps do initial testing with downward strokes since I suspect it will let go at impact, if it does let go. I did not experience any parts flying, just wood fragments. The langets kept the package more or less (less) together.

Korey J. Lavoie

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, at least it didn't fail on you in the midst of combat . . . This reminds me of the Blacksmith's punch that I hafted with a length of Oak for the option of using it as a war-hammer.
From the hundred year war
To the Crimea
With a Lance and a Musket and a Roman Spear
To all of the Men who have stood with no fear
In the Service of the King
-The Clash: The Card Cheat
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the glaive, like many polearms, is first and foremost a thrusting weapon (secondarily a slicing weapon). It's much less suited to hacking than a halberd, so swinging hard at a target not only isn't a good idea, it's probably not even appropriate historically.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
any future hafted purchases from MRL will be made with the assumption that they are project pieces and I'm just buying parts.

I think that's the best way to proceed. Better to be pleasantly surprised if you get a stout haft than buy in to the catalog copy and be disappointed. Given MRLs prices, especially on closeout items, I really think the "project" mindset is most rewarding. One can do very impressive conversions/upgrades on MRL pieces and come away with great bargains.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Korey J. Lavoie

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

indeed, if one knows what they are doing it can be very rewarding to modify such an item into a custom piece that out-performs the original.
From the hundred year war
To the Crimea
With a Lance and a Musket and a Roman Spear
To all of the Men who have stood with no fear
In the Service of the King
-The Clash: The Card Cheat
Carl Goff

PostPosted: Wed 10 May, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek! Exclamation

Sorry to hear that.

I must admit your story provoked a "well, crap" reaction from me, though. I just ordered MRL's German Halberd on Sunday. Here's hoping my shaft holds up. :crosses fingers:

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Mark Eskra

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Handle material         Reply with quote

Been there with a Lochaber-go to you local Amish wagonmaker and buy one of his axles, hack it down to handle size, then wrap the business end in wire once you get the head on or it'll ring like a harp every time you bash something hollow (heads, helmets, 55 gal. drums, etc.)
Mark Eskra

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: further to last         Reply with quote

Don't use copper wire, though...sword'll slice thru.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Capable of crushing the stoutest armor or helmets...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic