Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > AngelSword reviews? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Fryman wrote:
I'm sorry, the only site I know for Atrim is angustrimdirect.com and they don't have the "heavies" up yet, or the daggers, so I wasn't really sure if they were standard or just something he made a few of. I kind of figured the daggers wouldn't appeal to most. Most of the work still applies even for the short length, so I wouldn't expect the price to be much lower.

I do wish there was a place those of us out of state could look to see what all Gus is up to.

And it was so:

http://angustrimswords.net

Although this is tangential to the main topic of this thread.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Fryman wrote:
I'm sorry, the only site I know for Atrim is angustrimdirect.com and they don't have the "heavies" up yet, or the daggers, so I wasn't really sure if they were standard or just something he made a few of. I kind of figured the daggers wouldn't appeal to most. Most of the work still applies even for the short length, so I wouldn't expect the price to be much lower.

I do wish there was a place those of us out of state could look to see what all Gus is up to.

Hi Bill

This is an Angelsword thread, so I am out of place responding, but I think I need to correct a few things. I never used the metallurgy to make lighter blade geometries than you'd find historically. The truth seems to have been lost over the last seven years or so.......

When I started making swords, Del Tin was the standard, and nearly everyone claimed they were 10% heavier than necessary. I chose to make mine at the other end of the scale, the lighter end. Not ahistorically light, but on the light end of the scale...... That was the niche I filled for quite some time.....

Four years ago, I made true "longswords" for the first time. For the unarmored combat seen in some of the manuals, some of my longswords fit very well. Three years ago, I made the first AT1433, and if you look at the ARMA site, about four or five pages back, you'll see that, that particular sword cannot be considered light duty.......

If you want to see the heavies that are currently "online", there's a page with four up on

angustrimswords.net

Another new site, but one I can update myself........

If this is going to continue, maybe another thread? This really should be Angelsword thread.......

swords are fun
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Fryman wrote:

Gus has another site where some of the more recent stuff can be seen: I think this new site will eventually take the place of the one you mentioned and I think Gus said anything new will be on the new site.
http://angustrimswords.net/

You can also see some of Gus' s swords on the Christian Fletcher site. You can find that site in the LINKS at the top of the myArmoury page. ( If you didn't know that already ? )

Daggers by Gus I haven't seen, but there are a few short swords that might work as very large daggers similar in size to the bigger Anelace or Coustille: On the CF site there is a short type XVI with a 20" blade, my MRL Anelace has an 18" blade, so this sword is close in size and might be customized to a few inches shorter by Gus or Christian at a small extra cost.

You could try Ollin Sword design for a custom dagger as their prices are good for custom work.
http://angustrimswords.net/

Or try A & A ? A little shopping around for best price within your comfort zone might be worth trying.
Still expect to start at $400 to $500 minimum for custom work with no upper limit for gold & diamonds fittings. Laughing Out Loud

( Edited: Simultaneous postings Sad OOOOPS ! And as Guss said this is off topic to Angel swords ! )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chuck Perino

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Atrim Dagger         Reply with quote

Just thought I'd show an example of an atrim dagger (and rapier) I own (bought from Phoenix metal Creations about 3 years ago).

I don't believe Phoenix Metal Creations is doing any more customization of Atrim blade. Unfortunate, because I love mine!

Attachment: 6.81 KB
dagger1.jpg

Attachment: 3.94 KB
dagger2.jpg

Attachment: 13.51 KB
rapier.jpg

Cliff Poe

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all...new to the site and was directed to this post from swordarts.

I own several Angel Swords, including one of the $10,000 Avatars. Here is a link to some pics of my collection.

http://www.crpoe.com/angel_swords.htm

I use my swords. I take them off the wall all the time and cut with them. I've cut everything from tree saplings to a german curaiss I purchased from Museum Replicas. I have yet to damage any of my swords in anyway. I have not chipped a blade, bent a blade or dulled a blade that I can tell. I have broken some of hilt wrappings and each time, Angel has repaired my sword with no questions asked.

Now I'm not a sword expert. I only own Angel Swords. As I have never owned any other swords other than Angel Swords, I can't speak intelligently about other swords. All I can tell you is that every sword I've ever purchased from Angel Sword has performed far beyond any of my wildest expectations and thusfar has cut thru every substance I've tried to cut. My armor will never be the same thanks to the slice in the front of it caused by Too Beast.

In my opinion, you could not spend your money on a better sword nor could you deal with nicer people, more knowledgable people or a better craftsman than Daniel Watson.

I hope that helps you some.

Cliff
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cliff,

As I mentioned previously in this thread, much of the debate here centers around the notion of maximal efficiency -- that is, the ability of swords to perform as combative weapons. Cutting alone is not a sufficient gauge of maximal efficiency, so the statements you make don't help to advance this discussion. Further, given your admitted lack of a frame of reference either for other swords or for swordsmanship technique, speaking in superlatives only makes a rapprochement more difficult.

Please, let's try to re-orient this discussion towards finding some neutral criteria for qualitative evaluation. Unreferenced testimonials won't help with that. In truth, I agree with Chad's assessment that all's well if both sides can simply accept that their respective a priori assumptions are both mutually exclusive yet not necessarily judgmental about each other.

Curb your enthusiasm, my friend. Believe me, you'll need it for when I catch you out at Scarborough and and turn my fashion criticism on you... Wink
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cliff;

First welcome to the site and thanks for the Picts as I am not familiar with Angel swords and it's good to see what everyone is talking about.

I think the subject can be split into physical properties: Handling, durability, construction.
Historically based versus fantasy designs.
Personal taste, aesthetics.

Depending on what one is interested in a sword can be a good example or a poor example of any of the above.

Personally, I like some things like the filework or twisting of guards and some of the blade shapes as long as I judge them with fantasy criteria. If your use of them has cause minimal wear and damage then materials and construction seem good or even surprisingly superior. One sword blade looks like Damascus steel in the Pict and looks very nice to me.

In any case looks like a very interesting collection and I like the way you have them displayed. Cool

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 08 May, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cliff,

Its obvious that you've put a great deal of thought into your collection, and its very nice. I think I may have seen, but not handled, one of the swords in your collection some years back at the Atlanta blade show. Memory is not that good, but one defintely looks very familiar. All are probably completely out of my price range, but then again lots of things are.

Do you keep them insured?

That seems like quite a bit of money hanging on the walls. My homeowners insurance is fairly light on collectable coverage. Do you take something supplemental out? I don't have enough in my collection to worry about now, but we expereinced a break in some years back at a different residence. We didn't lose anything irreplacable, but nothing was one of a kind either.

What do you mean when you say you break the hilt wrappings?

I don't see anything in your collection that appears to have a covering on the hilt/handle other than on the big one that looks like an axe or staff. I'm not sure what it is, but it seems very substantial and appears to have a cloth or leather wrap. Do you mean that you are breaking the wood and/or horn on the handles? I can't tell what all of the hilts are made of in some of the picture. Most appear to be exotic woods but I'm not sure, especially in the case of the very red one. Is it horn, coral, or some kind of wood?

Are the things on the tops of the smaller axes pineapples? From the photos I can't tell. I tried enlarging them, but I still can't tell what they are and they look like pineapples to me.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Cliff Poe

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ruel A. Macaraeg wrote:
Cutting alone is not a sufficient gauge of maximal efficiency, so the statements you make don't help to advance this discussion. Further, given your admitted lack of a frame of reference either for other swords or for swordsmanship technique, speaking in superlatives only makes a rapprochement more difficult.

Please, let's try to re-orient this discussion towards finding some neutral criteria for qualitative evaluation. Unreferenced testimonials won't help with that.

I totally disagree. Cutting IS an excellent gauge of the efficiency of a sword. Imagine one that did everything well EXCEPT cut!

Happy

Lack of a frame of reference either for other swords or for swordsmanship? As evaluated by whom? Some would consider the ownership and usage of a collection of swords such as mine sufficient. Some would not.

I would hardly use enthusiastic to describe anything I typed. It was a factual comment on the swords I own. The swords are light weight, hard, well balanced, and very effecitve. Those are imperical statements that can be evaluated and proven or disproven. Also, continued usage, over extended periods of time, without damage or need of repair is also a testiment to the quality of a product. Every single line of my reply advanced the discussion.

My only point was to let the original poster know that I own an extensive collection of Angel Swords and that after extended usage have found them to possess qualities which lead me to believe they are superb pieces of craftsmanship.
Cliff Poe

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Cliff;

First welcome to the site and thanks for the Picts as I am not familiar with Angel swords and it's good to see what everyone is talking about.

I think the subject can be split into physical properties: Handling, durability, construction.
Historically based versus fantasy designs.
Personal taste, aesthetics.

Depending on what one is interested in a sword can be a good example or a poor example of any of the above.

Personally, I like some things like the filework or twisting of guards and some of the blade shapes as long as I judge them with fantasy criteria. If your use of them has cause minimal wear and damage then materials and construction seem good or even surprisingly superior. One sword blade looks like Damascus steel in the Pict and looks very nice to me.

In any case looks like a very interesting collection and I like the way you have them displayed. Cool

Thank you for your comments. Three of the blades are Avatar Damascus. The rest are from the Bright Knight line.

I agree on the good example/bad example of your statement. I've heard people say swords call to them and that's how they know the right sword. None of mine called to me per se...I just thought they looked nice. Happy

I guess what amazes mw about the swords is that I can pull them down, cut with them, clean them and hang them back up and it's like they never left the wall. The steel is truly amazing...at least it seems so.
Cliff Poe

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Cliff,

Do you keep them insured?

That seems like quite a bit of money hanging on the walls. My homeowners insurance is fairly light on collectable coverage. Do you take something supplemental out? I don't have enough in my collection to worry about now, but we expereinced a break in some years back at a different residence. We didn't lose anything irreplacable, but nothing was one of a kind either.

What do you mean when you say you break the hilt wrappings?

I don't see anything in your collection that appears to have a covering on the hilt/handle other than on the big one that looks like an axe or staff. I'm not sure what it is, but it seems very substantial and appears to have a cloth or leather wrap. Do you mean that you are breaking the wood and/or horn on the handles? I can't tell what all of the hilts are made of in some of the picture. Most appear to be exotic woods but I'm not sure, especially in the case of the very red one. Is it horn, coral, or some kind of wood?

Are the things on the tops of the smaller axes pineapples? From the photos I can't tell. I tried enlarging them, but I still can't tell what they are and they look like pineapples to me.

All of the swords are insured. Their cost is relative I think. To some $20 is a lot of money. To others, it's $20,000, and so on. I like the swords, didn't consider the cost to be prohibative, and they have brought me great pleasure. The swords are on my personal articles policy with a major insurer.

One of the swords (Too Beast, the big Avatar with the red handle) has a handle made of Jasper. Jasper is very fragile. I've borken the handle twice so far and each time, Angel Swords has replaced it free of charge. The Dao has a Wlanut handle and it's caracked a couple of times. It has also been repaired, no questions asked.

OH, sorry....the axes are Bud K stuff I bought for use as renfaire costuime pieces. They were like $30 bucks each and we dont cut with those! Happy Pieces fly off and stuff!

The swords are just great...over a long period of time and usage, I've grown quite confident in them and there performance. I couldn't imagine a better sword, but I am attempting contact with another sword maker I saw on The History Channel. I'd love to have one of his swords.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cliff Poe wrote:

I totally disagree. Cutting IS an excellent gauge of the efficiency of a sword. Imagine one that did everything well EXCEPT cut!

Happy

Some swords were meant for cutting at all: they were for thrusting, or for bashing. Among ones designed to cut, some were dedicated cutters, some a nice balance of cut and thrust, others more dedicated to thrusting but retaining some cutting ability, and ones that fall in between these categories. Cutting can be an excellent guage of efficiency if the sword is designed to cut and if the user knows what the sword was intended for and bases their opinions on that. For example, I have a replica of a Type XVII that cuts soft targets very well but that doesn't do well at all on some hard targets. Does that make it a bad sword? Of course not. Type XVII swords are primarily thrusters; their cross-section and edge angles aren't optimized for hard cutting.

Ruel's point about cutting not being the sole determiner of efficiency is valid.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Drake Abram

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad,

In a general sense I agree with what you have said. However, I believe that all Angels are designed to cut. I've even heard of people using rapiers to slice through some targets (tatami mat I believe). So, if you are encouraged to cut with an AS sword, would it be safe to then say that cutting would be a factor of efficiency with AS blades?

I do agree that most (European) AS pieces are very ahistorical, but I have seen some that they could be historical, like these pieces:

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Drake Abram wrote:
Chad,

In a general sense I agree with what you have said. However, I believe that all Angels are designed to cut. I've even heard of people using rapiers to slice through some targets (tatami mat I believe). So, if you are encouraged to cut with an AS sword, would it be safe to then say that cutting would be a factor of efficiency with AS blades?

I do agree that most (European) AS pieces are very ahistorical, but I have seen some that they could be historical, like these pieces:

Drake, If they are all designed to cut, then it further underscores their departure from historical weapons which is no criticism, just evidence of a different, perfectly valid focus. Cutting therefore could be a factor of efficiency for AS blades, but for many people cutting is not the only important factor in deciding what sword to buy. For me, there are other important criteria that need to be met: price, performance appropriate for its intended design (which may or may not include levels of cutting ability), handling appropriate for its intended design, and a reasonable amount of historical accuracy (not everyone defines accuracy the same way).

Those pieces shown only bear passing resemblances to historical swords. The blade all appear to have non-historical features. The hilts also look to be "loosely inspired by" history, though some are closer than others.

Happy

ChadA

Drake Abram

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad,

Thanks for the clarification. I do agree that cutting is not the only factor, but I do believe it is a good way to test the endurance of the blade and the user.

I'll go ahead and clarify what I meant and say that I didn't intended to say those AS piece are 100% historical, but have historically inspired elements.

I also agree with what you say about purchasing a weapon. Some people want performance, some looks, some authenticity, and some just want what the can afford, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe Daniel himself has said that his swords are no more than historically inspired. He (as many makers/smiths have) had evolved over time. He is probably quite capable of designing and crafting an authentic reproduction of truly historic parameters.

A niche is just that. Just as someone that has only owned Windlass or Generation 2 products may swear by them and call them the best; What does that really say?

It's really useless to make comparative and subjective statement if the scope of focus is narrowed in experience or knowledge.

Price justification? Whatever. I'd call it all free enterprise.

Cheers

GC
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking at the blades I see some interesting if not historically based cross sections and fullers that are visually intriguing.

Multiple fullers that do look very modern machine made which is fine for fantasy pieces.

Some cross sections do not seem to me the best for effective cutting: As an example one blade looks like it has very steep but hollow ground primary bevels as well as deep narrow fullers on a basically hexagonal cross section: Very striking aesthetically but " maybe " not an improvement in blade profile for optimized cutting efficiency.

But then the proof of this in the positive or the negative would be in the cutting !

This blade does look robust thought and it's cross section should give a very durable edge.

One point Cliff made is that after some use in cutting the wear and tear to the blade edges seem to him less than what one might expect or at least are not damaged. So assuming that the perceived or stated, by the maker, superior steel and or heat threat is accurate one could judge the cutting based on blade design and judge the blade material as to resistance to damage and edge retention, i.e. can Angel Swords survive more abuse than other brands with less damage or wear ?

Not making any judgement about this myself: Just trying to isolate the features that either make these swords special or not.
The questions we should ask maybe ? Not the answers. ( At least from me. )

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We're to the point in this thread where most people have weighed in who care to. Little new information is being presented. By and large, there have been no major blow-ups as in past threads of this nature. For that, I thank everyone. Some posts have evolved into a discussion more about what criteria people use to make purchases: a fascinating topic that deserves its own thread. If people want to discuss that in more depth, a new topic here in the Off-Topic forum would be a great venue to hear people's thoughts on that.

Getting back to Trace's original question, here's a summary of what we've learned:

Toughness of Angelsword products:
No one in this thread (supporters or otherwise) has really disputed their toughness or durability. I've heard exactly one report of failure of an AS in my years on the net, and that was years ago. By all reports, they are tough and durable.

Historical Accuracy:
No one in this thread (supporters or otherwise) really believes they are historically accurate. That's fine. Not everything has to be. We don't all share the same needs and should respect that others' need are different. Vive le difference.

Price and value:
Some think they are over-priced, others don't. Value is in the eye of the consumer. The bottom line is that they do sell at their prices to happy and very loyal customers. There's also a significant number of people who think they are over-priced. What does this mean? In a word: nothing. We all have our definition of value and our own budgets. We all have to decide whether AS products are worth the price. If someone decides they are, that doesn't make them wrong. If someone decides they aren't, they're not wrong either. See butchered French phrase above.

Marketing:
Some people have been turned off by Angelsword's marketing. In fairness, I think a lot of this is based on some of AS's old marketing strategies, in which some very very bold claims were made. They seem to have backed off of a lot of the ideas that turned people off. Their sales force has also been told to turn things down a notch. The gentleman at the AS booth in Atlanta last year was pushier than I prefer, but was not like some stories I have heard in years past. In short, I think their marketing materials have swung back toward mainstream recently and their sales force is supposed to be toning it down. As with any marketing and sales pitches each of us has to decide whether we're hearing hype or facts and whether the info being presented is of value.

User/Reader opinions:
Those who own AS products tend to rave about them. For many people, though, AS products don't meet their needs so they don't purchase them and evaluate them.

Basically, we will never all agree on Angelsword products (or any other brand for that matter), and that's okay. Quality, value, accuracy, effectiveness of marketing, etc. are all highly subjective. Not many people involved in this thread have been swayed to change their minds from whatever position they initially held. Rather than continuing to flagellate a deceased equine, I'd love to move on to other topics of discussion if there is nothing new to present. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Drake Abram wrote:

Drake, none of the pieces you've shown are representative of antique swords. They are contemporary designs all the way. I've had the opportunity to see and play with two years worth of product being displayed at Atlanta (dozens of swords) as well as look at and use about a half dozen other AS swords over the last 15 years. Of these, I've not seen anything that appears to me to have been an attempt at a historical design. I've also not seen photographs of something attempting to be historical. There is not only nothing wrong with this, I commend the maker's desire to do it "his way" and carve a seemingly very successful niche in the market with his unique contemporary flare.

Just as a faithful reproduction of a historical sword sitting in a museum won't appeal to everyone, nor will these contemporary designs. So what? "Appeal" is a subjective thing. Let's not get caught up in this stuff and try to pretend something is what it isn't. Let's, instead, respect the maker's intentions and value what it is. One thing isn't better than the other: it's just different and will appeal or turn off various people. This is true for everything, especially objects of art.

Chad Arnow wrote:
Getting back to Trace's original question, here's a summary of what we've learned:

Chad, thank you for trying to sum it all up. I think that's pretty helpful and has shown to me that we've really approached a point of diminishing returns here.

To everyone who has not participated in this topic, I want to thank you for your restraint. There was another topic posted about this same vendor that I recently deleted. I was accused of trashing the topic because nice things were being said about the vendor. I actually deleted it because of the harsh and negative statements (often accounts of fist-hand experiences) that were being posted. Such things put me in a very difficult situation with this particular vendor and I thank you all for helping me avoid that this time around.

To everything who has participated in this topic, I think we're done here. Because the situation requires this be a somewhat one-sided conversation, I think there is no need to beat a dead horse around any more than it already has.

I've seen a half dozen people register to my site with the specific intention of hyping up these products. Frankly, this leaves a bad taste to many of us. It starts to sound more like a crusade than it does a sharing of ideas and knowledge. In other words, it's way over the top for me. You've all had your chance to share your good experiences and opinions on these products. It's time to move on now. There are many other topics of discussion on this site that are far more on-target to the scope of this site as a resource for historical arms and armour collectors.

I truly appreciate that everybody, for the most part, has behaved and acted respectful in this topic. Thank you for that.

I want to avoid this spiraling out of control and having me trash it like I did the last one. To avoid this, I'm going to say once again that it's time to let this sit here and move on to discuss other things. Thank you.

Any questions or comments about my decision here or the means by which we moderate this site can be private messaged directly to me.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > AngelSword reviews?
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: