"Silver chased"
I'm reading a book at the moment in which one of the supporting characters finds a "silver chased" sword. He uses it against supernatural enemies that are immune to normal weapons. Like the vast majority of the readers here I'm sure, I like to have a fairly specific design in mind when significant swords are mentioned. What could "silver chased" mean? Does it mean a steel/silver pattern weld mix? Or an inlayed pattern down the centre of the sword? Any ideas guys?
The sword Blade uses in the movies :lol:
A titanium blade coated with silver ;)

I don't think pattern-welding would work with silver.
Hand Chasing on silver or metal is the technique of detailing the front surface of a sterling or other metal article with various hammer-struck punches. Your pattern will be flat or indented into the metal..
http://www.silverqueen.com/AskUs/information_on_silver.htm

Mac
Thanks Mac!

So, in the context of the book, the sword is steel with hundreds of small holes punched into it (probably down the fuller or something) each filled with a minute amount of silver?
Taylor Ellis wrote:
Thanks Mac!

So, in the context of the book, the sword is steel with hundreds of small holes punched into it (probably down the fuller or something) each filled with a minute amount of silver?

Not holes, no but raised (and sunk) designs. It's a bit like repousse only done from the 'right' side of the piece.

Repousse is the technique of beating designs into sheet metal from the back with the sheet laid on a lead or pitch block which will support the material but move under the hammer.

I can't see it making much sense in the context of a sword though because, like repousse it's a technique applied to sheet metal.

http://www.gelos.ru/month/jun2005/bigimages/4274.jpg
is an example of a chased silver piece.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: