Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Armour maker François L'Archevèque Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 02 May, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Armour maker François L'Archevèque         Reply with quote

Just handled first hand a couple of Sallets made by François L' Archevèque at a Ren-Fair over this weekend and if one is looking for a top of the line helm he is certainly a person to look up if one has the money.

The one that was most impressive was raised from one piece of steel and of varying thickness depending on where it needs to be stronger. The line are absolutely to die for and the only reason I didn't jump on it is that it's way over my comfort zone in price: Now if one can afford to buy a Svante from Albion well it costs less than that Wink So, the price is high but not out of line for the quality: Absolutely beautiful lines and crisp perfection in execution.

Some of his stuff can be seen here: http://cf.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/francoislarcheveque/my_photos

And this the one I handled or one identical to it: http://cf.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/francoislarc...mp;.src=ph

If you browse around the first I linked here you can see a close up of the varying thickness of the Sallet and also Picts of the Raising of a Bowl. Again, I'm impressed and I recommend him highly. Cool Cool Cool

Here is his E-Mail information: franklemalade@hotmail.com

I had a long talk with him at this Ren-Fair and he was in full civilian 15th Century clothing and was very nice and pleasant to talk to. Big Grin Oh, he did mention that he can use some shortcuts like making helm bowls in halves and weld them for a more affordable price: So even if a budget is limited it might still be worth it to contact him and see if he can do something within a smaller budget envelope. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 04 May, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had seen a few of his auctions on ebay before but you can't be sure if its a reseller or if the pic shown is even what your going to get. He does some really nice looking stuff and thats not just limited to armour.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 04 May, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan Senefelder wrote:
I had seen a few of his auctions on ebay before but you can't be sure if its a reseller or if the pic shown is even what your going to get. He does some really nice looking stuff and thats not just limited to armour.

I didn't see one first hand but he also made at least one crossbow using the pulley system to draw back the string: I don't know if the power of the bow is heavy or if it's lower for safety reasons or to meet some rules of his Living History group.
If I was serious about getting a historical crossbow I would at least ask him the above questions.

Crossbow: http://cf.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/francoislarc...mp;.src=ph

From some talk with him I can say that he does put historical accuracy at the top of his priorities: So living history people might find his work even more worth looking at. Big Grin

I'm not personally strick about 100% historical accuracy but it's a valid choice I can appreciate.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Armour maker François L'Archevèque
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic