Go to page 1, 2  Next

Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
94%
 94%  [ 72 ]
Very Good
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Good
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 76

Apr 17: myArmoury.com news and updates
Today's update:

[ Linked Image ]
Oakeshott: The Man and his Legacy
An article by myArmoury.com

[ Linked Image ]
Wallpaper: Oakeshott Type X Swords
Created by Nathan Robinson

[ Linked Image ]
Wallpaper: Oakeshott Type XI Swords

[ Linked Image ]
Wallpaper: Oakeshott Type XII Swords

[ Linked Image ]
Wallpaper: Oakeshott Type XIII Swords

[ Linked Image ]
Wallpaper: Oakeshott Type XIV Swords

[ Linked Image ]
Wallpaper: Oakeshott Type XV Swords

[ Linked Image ]
Wallpaper: Oakeshott Type XVI Swords

[ Linked Image ]
Wallpaper: Oakeshott Type XVII Swords

[ Linked Image ]
Wallpaper: Oakeshott Type XVIII Swords

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Our Easter update introduced an important featured article that represents a tremendous amount of work from us, the myArmoury.com team. I'm particularly proud of this article and the collaboration that had to take place to create it.

[ Linked Image ]
Oakeshott: The Man and his Legacy
An article by myArmoury.com

This five-page article is our attempt to bring you all a single-source reference to the work of Ewart Oakeshott. We've been working on this piece for a long time and have referenced it, ourselves, many times during the creation of the other articles we've produced. We hope it serves you as well as it has served us.

Cheers.
Great article and great as a reference to go back to often.

The desktop images also look really good and are a nice quick reference also.
The Oakeshott update is one of the most useful articles published by myArmoury to date. This is why myArmoury is absolutely indispensable as an internet resource! Great job and kudos to everyone involved.

Quick question. . . are you going to be updating "Part 2" with pictures and line drawings for Types XVIIIC and XVIIID? And I also have one personal request/preference. Would it be possible to put the links to the spotlight articles next to the Typeology Labels?

I also noticed in "Part 5" that the example in "Sword Family M" should be labeled as circa 1450-1480 instead of 1550-1580.

Again. Wow. Great job! I'm going to go read it again right now :lol:
Jason Elrod wrote:
Would it be possible to put the links to the spotlight articles next to the Typeology Labels?

Jason,
If you click this button next to each type ([ Linked Image ]) you'll go right to the spotlight. If you put your mouse over it in the article, it says "View Spotlight Article." We have you covered. :)
Wow, I love all the desktops! As a Talhoffer owner, guess which one is my favorite? ;)

I have yet to read the article about Oakeshott but I definitely will. You guys never cease to impress.

Ted
Impressive.

As it is, this will almost certainly prove to be a good reference (instead of prying loose the books from my rather over-filled bookshelf, and with the added benefit of linking to ones sources). For someone new to this field, this must be pure gold. The page on the families were especially nice, as this does indeed seem a rather unjustly overlooked typology, with the links to the examples being a very nice touch.

If there's anything I feel is left out, it would be in the descriptions of "The Archeology of Weapons" and "European Weapons and Armour", as I think it might have been good to mention that these books also cover armour, and other types of weapon, as well.
The Oakeshott article is Terrific!!! Great job guys, it will come in very handy.
I can only say wow, what an undertaking. And you did a good job of it. It's definately a valuable tool.

-Grey
I am absolutely thrilled to see this much positive feedback on this update. As I said, I'm particularly proud of this piece as it represents a lot of hard work from a team of people.

It might be inappropriate to single out just one person, but I really have to take my hat off to Chad Arnow. He really was the go-to guy on this project and worked on pieces of the project that none of us really wanted to tackle. I'd often get stuck on something because it was a blank slate and Chad would come along and create a foundation on which we all could build. Thank you, Chad.
Jason Elrod wrote:
Quick question. . . are you going to be updating "Part 2" with pictures and line drawings for Types XVIIIC and XVIIID?

Oakeshott, himself, debated on how to have Type XVIII evolve. Over the course of his writing, his definitions had changed for that type. In Records, arguably where his own definition of the typology had finally evolved, he did not include the Type XVIIIc - Type XVIIIe subtypes. But, as he felt his system was not completed and needed to continue to be explored, we took the liberty to present all the subtypes and tried our best to take his work, as a whole, into account for the article. The result was to display and discuss all of this, but not to emphasize the Type XVIIIc/Type XVIIId subtypes. Everything with Oakeshott's typology is an interpretation and this article represents our own version of it.

Having said that, I probably would have illustrated and included a photo were I to have found a photo of a sword of Type XVIIIc or Type XVIIId. I put up a Topic asking for this specifically for this very purpose, in fact, but did not get anything, unfortunately. Were I to get a couple photos sent to me for this type, it's likely I'd update the article to accommodate them.

Quote:
And I also have one personal request/preference. Would it be possible to put the links to the spotlight articles next to the Typeology Labels?

As Chad noted, above, there is a link within the table on Page 2 but I've also added links to the full illustration of all the sword types on Page 1. Now each type can be clicked to go directly to its spotlight. Good input.

Quote:
I also noticed in "Part 5" that the example in "Sword Family M" should be labeled as circa 1450-1480 instead of 1550-1580.

Thank you. Good catch. For those keeping score, that was my own typo. :)
Wow! Kudos to Chad Arnow, Russ Ellis, Patrick Kelly, Nathan Robinson, and Sean Flynt. The Oakeshott article is great!
Just a quick observation. I don't believe the line drawing of the type XVII came out as you intended. Looks like a single edged blade from the line drawing.

Otherwise, wow! Very informative article. I'm sure the collaborative effort is as much appreciated by everyone else here as it is myself.

-Aaron
Nathan Robinson wrote:
It might be inappropriate to single out just one person, but I really have to take my hat off to Chad Arnow. He really was the go-to guy on this project and worked on pieces of the project that none of us really wanted to tackle. I'd often get stuck on something because it was a blank slate and Chad would come along and create a foundation on which we all could build. Thank you, Chad.

It certainly is inappropriate, but you're welcome. It was truly a group effort, though, and my hat's off to all involved. I know an article and resource like this is something you've wanted to offer the community since you started this site and I'm glad it came together. I'm sure people will find it as useful as I have. I referred to this article many times while writing the reviews and articles penned during this article's lengthy gestation.

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Tue 18 Apr, 2006 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Aaron Schneiker wrote:
Just a quick observation. I don't believe the line drawing of the type XVII came out as you intended. Looks like a single edged blade from the line drawing.

Otherwise, wow! Very informative article. I'm sure the collaborative effort is as much appreciated by everyone else here as it is myself.

-Aaron

It came out exactly how I intended. That is why it is in the article. I apologize for it not working so well. I'm not much of an illustrator and don't feel confident doing it, to be honest. Photos are my thing, but I'm trying to force myself to stretch into other things.

Honestly, thank you for your kind words and feedback.
Kjell Magnusson wrote:
For someone new to this field, this must be pure gold.

That it is. I am absolutely blown away by such a great resource. Kudos to everyone who was involved. I can comfortably say that this is far and away the best article on the site, and sent the stock value of this site flying upwards :p

I would like to make one suggestion, though: I think this article deserves a more prominent position in the Features page than just being in the middle of the Articles and Essays list. I'd even go so far as to say it could use a permanent link on the front page.
Matthew K. Shea wrote:
I would like to make one suggestion, though: I think this article deserves a more prominent position in the Features page than just being in the middle of the Articles and Essays list. I'd even go so far as to say it could use a permanent link on the front page.

I would second that idea as this article should be one of the first things one should read if one is new to the subject of Medieval swords.

Maybe the first in a future short series of " read these first " CORE articles permanently available from the home page. :D
Actually I would have to say that this is the definitive introductory article that I have seen anywhere, ever. This should be the the starting point for anyone interested in this wonderful hobby and makes a perfect refresher for the rest of us. I especially love the line drawing/photograph combination. Thanks guys, for all of the work that this obviously took.
Matthew K. Shea wrote:

Good suggestion. I added an "Essential Reading" header to the features page. I may add a block that can be added to member homepages, too. For now, people can add it to their favorites and customize their site homepage to display their favorite pages.
Gentlemen

My highest congratulation on this stupendous achievement. This is one of the most valuable contributions to this site and one of the best sources of information on the web. It's professional, high-quality such as this that makes myArmoury such a wonderful resource. I am proud to be a part of such an endeavor.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: