Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Regent, Viceroy or AT from Christian Fletcher ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Regent, Viceroy or AT from Christian Fletcher ?         Reply with quote

Indecision April 2006. Confused Laughing Out Loud

I'm actually resisting buying the Regent now as I can't decide if I should go for the Viceroy instead ??? Too bad I can't handle them first hand. I'm also looking at getting a sword / scabbard from Christian Fletcher instead, for now, after seeing some nice Picts on " myArmoury " either the Borderwatch or the AT1435 either with the standard handle or a special package ? The price with scabbard would be close to the price of the Regent alone ! ( That I might buy eventually also. ) Any opinion you can give me about these two AT swords and the work of Christian Fletcher ? ( Seems very good from what I have seen so far on " myArmoury " )

At least indecision is saving me money. Razz Laughing Out Loud

If Christian reads this: Can the AT1435 blade be used with the Borderwatch handle package " style " but adapted to the longer AT1435 blade tang. Oh, also the specifications of the AT1435 blade on your site don't include the width of the blade at guard and thickness of blade at guard and distal taper to near the point ? I would need and take advice on any special hilt, guard, handle combinations or stick to the original set-up.

If', I get serious about an order I will get in touch directly, but I'm still evaluating and tire kicking and the info might get others interested. Big Grin

Attachment: 5.49 KB
at1435index.jpg

Attachment: 7.9 KB
borderwatchindex.JPG.jpg

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Tue 25 Apr, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I doubt that Christian would have any problems adapting the borderwatch upgrade to the 1435, it may just cost a bit extra. My advise would be to email him directly and ask if it can be done and for an estimate.

Alex

"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Christian Fletcher
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 25 Apr, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The AT-1435 can be upgraded with a Borderwatch hilt, though you would need to retain the larger standard pommel. The thickness of this sword at the guard is 1/4", but I'm afraid I don't have the other stats. Perhaps Gus can answer that?
Christian Fletcher
www.christianfletcher.com
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 25 Apr, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Fletcher wrote:
The AT-1435 can be upgraded with a Borderwatch hilt, though you would need to retain the larger standard pommel. The thickness of this sword at the guard is 1/4", but I'm afraid I don't have the other stats. Perhaps Gus can answer that?

Actually, the 1435 is .26 thick at the base, and the distal taper is just a bit convex, as I intended to keep the sword as rigid as possible. The double fullers help that a bit.......

Its up to CF of course, but the blade is adaptable to the hilt of the Borderwatch {from pommel to guard}, though I'd like to add an inch of tang, making the handle a bit longer.... probably add $25 to the price to bring the handle up an inch.........

The 1435 was my first longer "warsword", a sword meant to take heavy use and still handle and cut well. There's currently a thread on the ARMA forum with a couple of photos where an AT1433 was used to cut pork shoulders and beat a steel buckler on a pole into submission. The 1435 is a larger sword than the 1433, but has the same philosophy behind it, great handling, great cutting, and the ability to shrug off a reasonable amount of abuse.........

swords are fun
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 25 Apr, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Christian Fletcher wrote:

Actually, the 1435 is .26 thick at the base, and the distal taper is just a bit convex, as I intended to keep the sword as rigid as possible. The double fullers help that a bit.......

Its up to CF of course, but the blade is adaptable to the hilt of the Borderwatch {from pommel to guard}, though I'd like to add an inch of tang, making the handle a bit longer.... probably add $25 to the price to bring the handle up an inch.........

The 1435 was my first longer "warsword", a sword meant to take heavy use and still handle and cut well. There's currently a thread on the ARMA forum with a couple of photos where an AT1433 was used to cut pork shoulders and beat a steel buckler on a pole into submission. The 1435 is a larger sword than the 1433, but has the same philosophy behind it, great handling, great cutting, and the ability to shrug off a reasonable amount of abuse.........

Well, Christian / Gus thanks to both of you for such a quick reply and this is very tempting. Cool Cool Cool

Will have to E-Mail Christian about details and I was seeing a " Borderwatch " treatment to the hilt but I don't see a problem with keeping the longer handle length of the 1435. The Borderwatch guard versus the standard guard ? I'm not sure as I sort of like the original on the 1435 also ? So maybe just the metal band in the middle of the handle will reflect the aesthetics of the Borderwatch ( Sort of what I have to work out with Christian and take his advice and select a scabbard / belt ....... ETC. )

The description of the blade sounds just like what I'm looking for " Robust " while not at the cost of good handling with a strong edge capable of taking normal use against armour ( In theory. Wink Laughing Out Loud ) Good rigid blade, cut mostly but very thrust capable.

( EDITED: Just sent Christian an E-Mail to start the process of designing / ordering and should make an order official
soon. )

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 26 Apr, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, I just finalized getting the AT1435 blade from Christian Fletcher using his Type 6 Guard, it won't be exactly like the Borderwatch but will have the mid grip metal ring and I'm getting a historical scabbard. The full Borderwatch custom job turned out a bit more expensive than I wanted to pay but this slightly modified AT 1435 he proposed was within my budget.

So, it's still going to be a custom job, just a more modest one than the custom Borderwatch we could all admire in a recent topic.

Oxblood and the historical scabbard with double fullers to match the fullers on the blade.

By the way my E-Mails to Christian were answered the next day and the replies were clear, precise and complete. Cool Cool Cool Very positive experience.

( Not everyone is such a good communicator and sometimes one has to remind a vendor that an essential question needed to make a decision was not addressed and one has to repeat the question a few time to get the information, not a deal breaker but some seem a bit absent minded or less well organized. )

David Welch

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Apr, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
There's currently a thread on the ARMA forum with a couple of photos where an AT1433 was used to cut pork shoulders and beat a steel buckler on a pole into submission. The 1435 is a larger sword than the 1433, but has the same philosophy behind it, great handling, great cutting, and the ability to shrug off a reasonable amount of abuse.........

Gus... I don't want to come off sounding like too much of a suck up, but Wink

We have pictures and video of us cutting hanging shoulders and legs (through felt padding), and shoulders and legs on a cutting stand. The legs were about the size of my forearm.

Note that we cut through the entire shoulder and joint... actually cutting directly through the ball as seen in this picture.

With no damage to the blade at all.

On top of it all, the weight and balance give an overall handling that let us make a couple of insights to some techniques that had up to now eluded us.

Anyway, "the ability to shrug off a reasonable amount of abuse" is an understatement of amazing proportions. This is a sword built for the martial artists. I just can't recommend it enough.

David Welch
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 27 Apr, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David;

That's scary impressive. Eek! Eek! Eek! Cool

And the AT 1435 is even heavier. Eek!

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 27 Apr, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Oh, I just finalized getting the AT1435 blade from Christian Fletcher using his Type 6 Guard...
Are you getting the curved Type 6 or the straight Type 6?
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 27 Apr, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Oh, I just finalized getting the AT1435 blade from Christian Fletcher using his Type 6 Guard...
Are you getting the curved Type 6 or the straight Type 6?

Christian suggested the strait and after having a look on his site I agreed.

Since the full Borderwatch hilt option was more expensive than I expected. Christian, I think, suggested the strait Type 6 as the one closest in style as a less expensive alternative and maybe ease of fitting to the AT 1435 blade was a consideration?With the mid handle metal band my sword should be close in looks to the Borderwatch.

Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Thu 27 Apr, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, congratulations, Jean. I look forward to seeing photos when it is done.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Slight update: I E-mailed Christian and added antiquing to the pommel and crossguard as well as a facetted handle to my order. It should look a bit like this but with the scent stopper pommel: A bit different than the borderwatch in looks but since the guard was going to be different anyway ........

Oh, the great pictures on Christian's site of antiqued sword furniture finally got to me and the extra cost is very reasonable.

Got a really fast reply: The same day to my request. Cool

Attachment: 49.72 KB
HPIM2451.jpg

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love Christians work on that hilt. If yours is of a similar style you'll be very happy with it.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I love Christians work on that hilt. If yours is of a similar style you'll be very happy with it.

Should be close but I'm not micromanaging things and I used this one as an example of what I would like.

If you look back to the top of the topic ( In case you didn't already ) you will see that the blade will be a double fullered one AT 1435 and a very large warsword.

Glad you like the same hilt as I do. Wink Cool

Have you looked at the Wraith King ? Really impressive design using the AT Swedish twohander blade I think.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 08 Dec, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just an update: The blade is back from heat treating and Angus Trim is going to finish it and send it to Christian for hilting and scabbard making.

Pic of sword: Mine is the double fullered one.

Christian has been sending regular updates when the sword was before heat treat and now after: It's very pleasing when makers keep you informed about the work in progress without having to nag them about it and Christian has been doing just that. Big Grin Cool

Attachment: 35.5 KB
1165585514-2_3.jpg

Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Just an update: The blade is back from heat treating and Angus Trim is going to finish it and send it to Christian for hilting and scabbard making....

I'd forgotten about this one - busy year for you, Jean! That AT1433 should look great. I really like the CF antiqued hilt treatment you posted back on August 7. I look forward to seeing more as the sword progresses.

- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Just an update: The blade is back from heat treating and Angus Trim is going to finish it and send it to Christian for hilting and scabbard making....

I'd forgotten about this one - busy year for you, Jean! That AT1433 should look great. I really like the CF antiqued hilt treatment you posted back on August 7. I look forward to seeing more as the sword progresses.

Yes, I have jumped the shark when it comes to custom work: I'm having an inside the pants wallet holder made of my own design ( Think money belt without the belt or an inside the pants holster for a pistol in principal. )

The idea is to NOT have your wallet and all those important paper depend on the wallet not falling out of a back pocket or having your pocket picked. Evil Laughing Out Loud

This is like the third generation of these I have had made since my current one is only holding together with duct tape.
( Leather rotting from 10 years of sweat. Eek! Wink )

Oh, also designing a LONG Matrix type ankle length coat with a Hussar type double row of buttons: A bit pre - WWI military great coat !?
Still have to find some pics to show the maker. Will probably use " phoney leather " to save on cost as leather would push it to the $3000 range. The leatherette ??? version should be under $800.

Attachment: 71.94 KB
BeltPouch01 copy.jpg

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, a bit of an update as the sword and scabbard is almost finished and ready for shipping.

Attachment: 44.22 KB
MyAT1435.jpg

Attachment: 45.68 KB
MyAT1435b.jpg

Micha Hofmann

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, both sword and scabbard look great. Hope you'll receive the final sword soon. Happy

Regards

Micha
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow..........

I vaguely remember that sword..........sure looks different today, I like.......

swords are fun

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Regent, Viceroy or AT from Christian Fletcher ?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: