Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Paul Chen Side Sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Sat 06 May, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Paul Chen Side Sword?         Reply with quote

Has anyone handled the new PC side sword yet.It looks very nice and I am wondering how it handles.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
D. Rosen

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 06 May, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got it a couple of months ago. I don't have too much experience with "higher quality" swords, but I love it. Its very appealing and everything is solid; the sword itself is very quick and it handles smoothly. For a pretty good review, take a look at this
http://www.therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c909.html - Lots of photos too.

-Dan
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 06 May, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Dan, can you bring it to the next event that we're both going to be at? I'd really like to take a look if you don't mind.
" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 07 May, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks like a very good sword for the money. I checked around the net under its number, SH2203, and found prices ranging from $143.00 to $270.00.

How about the practical version, SH2279 - does anyone yet have one of these? I'm not sure I care for the blade that comes with it It looks like a variation on the Colichemarde style.

http://www.medieval-weaponry.co.uk/acatalog/Sideswords.html
D. Rosen

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 07 May, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its very nice. My only complaint is the Hanwei/Made in China logo on the 'upside' of the blade. Other than that, I love it.

-Dan

PS: Sent you an e-mail Chris
Ron Banks

PostPosted: Tue 22 Aug, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan,

I'm new to the forum and just ordered a Paul Chen side sword from therionarms.com. Do you happen to know what alloy the guard/pommel is made from? Is it nickel plated over brass, zinc, stainless, etc.?

Thanks for any information you can provide,

Ron Banks
Fort Worth, TX
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

How about the practical version, SH2279 - does anyone yet have one of these? I'm not sure I care for the blade that comes with it It looks like a variation on the Colichemarde style.

I have seen and handled exactly one of these, and with any luck it will be the last one. The thing was completely unbalanced, the blade had no give and was way too over built, and it's ugly. I could put up with ugly if it was a decently functioning blade, but it's not. On the other hand, the furniture was pretty nice. A friend tried putting the practical sidesword furniture on the practical cup hilt blade, and while it was nice, it was sort of a "1 sword for the price of 2" deal, so he didn't keep it.

Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Myers said:
I have seen and handled exactly one of these, and with any luck it will be the last one. The thing was completely unbalanced, the blade had no give and was way too over built, and it's ugly. I could put up with ugly if it was a decently functioning blade, but it's not. On the other hand, the furniture was pretty nice. A friend tried putting the practical sidesword furniture on the practical cup hilt blade, and while it was nice, it was sort of a "1 sword for the price of 2" deal, so he didn't keep it.

That is too bad. Maybe the bad blade is the reason it took so long to be released. The SH2279 is finally showing up at a few U.S vendor sites, still with that odd blade that you wouldn't think appropriate for a sidesword.

I guess the answer is to go to Darkwood, pay a little more, get a decent sword.
Allen Johnson

Reading list: 29 books

PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No give? That may not be such a bad thing since so many of the reproduction blades are way too floppy. This might be better...
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen Johnson wrote:
No give? That may not be such a bad thing since so many of the reproduction blades are way too floppy. This might be better...

No it's not better, it's just a different sort of misery.

And it's a whole lot worse for the friend you are fencing with.

Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Salle Master owns one of these swords and he seems to like it very much. Of course he doesn't fence with it since it's very sharp, but he likes how it handles and feels.

For the money, Paul Chen/CAS Iberia European swords tend to be good buys. They're not in the same league as Albions, Arms and Armor or others higher end blades, but they do fill a niche for those who don't want to spend $600 or more on really fine weapons.

So though they may not be perfect, they're at least "good enough" in my opinion.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My general impression is that people like the sharp one and hate the blunt one. Is that correct? I've been looking at pictures of the sharp one for quite while now. It would be an oddity, quite out of period for me, but interesting, and the price appears good (as in low), but I've found PC articles to vary a fair bit in quality. Of those i've bought 4 have taken a fair bit of work and 2 were just not worth the effort. That half dozen haven't included any swords, but I note that of the two such reviewed on this site, one had a slight bend, a characteristic I've come to associate with the PC product. My concern over such is probably not historically valid and try to keep it in check, but it is the main thought that puts me off going any further than looking with this sword. Should it turn out to be bent, or otherwise flawed, beyond my limits of acceptability, I've got trash (that I've either got to return and swap, possibly for more trash, or to put up with). Admitttedly cheap trash would be preferable to expensive trash, but either way it would still be trash. Not sure any of this is relevant to the thread. Ho hum.
Geoff
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry for taking this old thread up to the top again, but it's a year old and I was wondering if people have anymore thoughts on this sword by Hanwei? I've been thinking about adding it to my collection, but sofar I've heard a lot of mixed results.
And is it true that the handle is wirewrap over plastic??
Dan P

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the sharp version. Its mostly a thrusting sword and a decent light cutter. Its not balanced to give harder cuts though. The pommel is really large, and solid steel, which really pulls the point of balance away from the blade. The handle is long enough that it can be wielded with a finger over the guard, with a conventional grip, or even hand-and-a-half with one hand on the pommel for those harder to cut targets.

The handle is wire over gray plastic. But its sturdy enough to stand up to light cutting, and won't be visible unless one takes the sword apart. This is pretty easy since the pommel unscrews.. maybe a bit too easy since occasionally I need to retighten it after playing around.

Nowadays I would have saved that money for a custom, like from Darkwood Armory, but its still a good sword.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got the blunt Practical Sidesword, and like it for what it is.
Wich is a cheap training rapier.
One will note that the blunt side sword is 10 cm longer than the sharp. (90 vs 80 cm blade), and the blade a lot narrower.
As a ressult, it's pretty much imposible to use it as a sword, but it is a better aproximation of a historical rapier than Hanweii's regular Practical rapier, which is more of a foil.

If you want to use it as a sword, get out your angle grinder and take 10-15 cm of the blade, which would make it a lot more managable.
The looks of the practical are also wastly imporved by pulling of the ridicilous leather cover on the ricason.

As for the flexibility of the blade, a rubber blunt and some propper weapon controll eliminates the problem.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
I've got the blunt Practical Sidesword, and like it for what it is.
Wich is a cheap training rapier.
One will note that the blunt side sword is 10 cm longer than the sharp. (90 vs 80 cm blade), and the blade a lot narrower.
As a ressult, it's pretty much imposible to use it as a sword, but it is a better aproximation of a historical rapier than Hanweii's regular Practical rapier, which is more of a foil.

If you want to use it as a sword, get out your angle grinder and take 10-15 cm of the blade, which would make it a lot more managable.
The looks of the practical are also wastly imporved by pulling of the ridicilous leather cover on the ricason.

As for the flexibility of the blade, a rubber blunt and some propper weapon controll eliminates the problem.

Hm, I'll really have to give this one some more thought. It looks like a fun little sword, nothing to fancy. Anyone that wants to add their thoughts, please do.
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one and I like it allot. It looks really good visually, all the furniture is well done and the blade is cleanly executed. The balance is nice (1/2" from the top loop, about 3" from the cross) The blade presence however is minimal and the blade seems to light for any real cutting ( more like a thin rapier blade at the COP than what I think of as a side-sword) Over all I think it is worth the money. I should also mention that I have the sharp version and that I have had no problems with the hilt loosening after cutting or solo practice.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Paul Chen Side Sword?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic