Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Regent distal taper Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Albion Regent distal taper         Reply with quote

Looking over the review of the Regent, one piece of information I would like is how thick is the blade near the guard and near the point. What is the distal taper of the blade ? I realize that the distal taper may not be linear and has subtle changes in rate over the length of the blade but as it looks like a thick blade near the guard I can't help being curious.

I think the distal taper, in detail, is part of the trade secrets i.e. expensive research done by Albion and I don't expect or need that level of detail about measurements.

Started that looking at the pictures of it " sideway " that is usually the first sign that I'm considering another bit of damage to my bank account.

Any general opinions on the Regent expanding on the already informative review in the review section would be appreciated. Talk me out of it .......... or talk me deeper into it. Razz Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jeremy G

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean

The Regent is really quite thick at the blade base...seems over 1/4". Distal tapers alot to the point, which is still nice and sturdy, though needle-like. Don't know how to describe the point...it looks thicker than the Baron side-on (don't know if you've seen the baron side-on). The Baron seems almost like a filet knife, while the Regent seems more like an awl. I've used my Regent quite extensively for forms...goes great with German longsword techniques. I've put the point in the dirt, in the ceiling (twice!), across some small branches and into my wall early on when I was first learning...(well one of the ceilings was last week Blush ), and it's survived for now. I really like this sword, and I don't think I could in my right mind try to talk you out of it ! Big Grin
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe the Regent is ground from stock that is 3/8" (~.375"). The blade is .345" at its base on mine. I'd have to take it out of my display case to get any other measurements and I'm too lazy tonight. Happy

It's an amazing sword. The thick spine is no detriment to cutting is sessions I've done. It handles quite nicely and looks great. It's a little later than many swords I like, but it is so unique in the production market and so well-done that I couldn't pass it up.

As for Jeremy's comments, it is thicker than the Baron which is around .24 inches thick at its base.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy G wrote:
Hi Jean

The Regent is really quite thick at the blade base...seems over 1/4". Distal tapers alot to the point, which is still nice and sturdy, though needle-like. Don't know how to describe the point...it looks thicker than the Baron side-on (don't know if you've seen the baron side-on). The Baron seems almost like a filet knife, while the Regent seems more like an awl. I've used my Regent quite extensively for forms...goes great with German longsword techniques. I've put the point in the dirt, in the ceiling (twice!), across some small branches and into my wall early on when I was first learning...(well one of the ceilings was last week Blush ), and it's survived for now. I really like this sword, and I don't think I could in my right mind try to talk you out of it ! Big Grin

Thanks for the reply, sounds sturdy enough Razz or more. I do have the Tritonia so I think I know what you mean as I think it's similar in type to the Baron " Filet knife " tip .

Sorry hearing about the ceiling though Razz I guess the sword survived better ! So how deep is the gouge. Razz

I really love the lines of the pommel of the regent as well as the hollow ground blade. I'm not quite ready to buy another sword yet but I am looking. AT swords look appealing for all sorts of reasons not to mention affordability.

The Viceroy is also a possibility: Both maybe eventually, the last time I was deciding about the Tritonia or the Viceroy.

Will wait a while to see if another sword attracts my attention more while I wait for a tax refund: Using tax money for sword purchases as a certain sarcastic appeal. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Fri 14 Apr, 2006 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I believe the Regent is ground from stock that is 3/8" (~.375"). The blade is .345" at its base on mine. I'd have to take it out of my display case to get any other measurements and I'm too lazy tonight. Happy

Thanks Chad: Hmmmmmmm ..... sounds even better thicker at the guard. I can feel my sales resistance weakening ...... Oh, so so weak. Laughing Out Loud

It' s turning into WHEN rather than IF I'm afraid.

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:

Thanks Chad: Hmmmmmmm ..... sounds even better thicker at the guard. I can feel my sales resistance weakening ...... Oh, so so weak. Laughing Out Loud

It' s turning into WHEN rather than IF I'm afraid.

Jean,

It already should have been when, not if.

I believe I have the first Regent out the door, and for a time before more people got Regents of their own in the area, it was an absolute attention stealer. In fact I seem to remember people calling it the precious at several round tables.

For now I'm hoping the get the Earl into production (I may end up with the first one of those too). I'm not sure if it will have the same visual impact, especially since the Regent has been out and about for a while, but I suspect it will be a magnificent tool since the pommel variation was something Albion almost immediated recieved requests for.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Jean,

It already should have been when, not if.

I believe I have the first Regent out the door, and for a time before more people got Regents of their own in the area, it was an absolute attention stealer. In fact I seem to remember people calling it the precious at several round tables.

For now I'm hoping the get the Earl into production (I may end up with the first one of those too). I'm not sure if it will have the same visual impact, especially since the Regent has been out and about for a while, but I suspect it will be a magnificent tool since the pommel variation was something Albion almost immediated recieved requests for.

Hmmmmmm............. Definitely a good endorsement: I sort of want to " savour " the decision rather than jumping in too fast, that what happens when you first go nuts when collecting is all new and you buy stuff at a blistering pace, after a while you TRY to pace yourself and be more selective. Well, if you win a lottery maybe you can afford to go nuts.

Bottom line is that the Regent is at the top of the list: Just on looks in a Pict, but with the input from other happy owners. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Let's see how long I can last. Razz I do have a tax refund due soon. Big Grin In any case I am now convinced that it is a good choice.

Thanks, I guess ? Firming up my resolve to spend. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Regent distal taper
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic