Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Shamshirs Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Shamshirs         Reply with quote

I am thinking of buying a nice reproduction shamshir. Before I buy I would like to see some more examples, and check out some more styles. I want to see as many shamshirs as i can before i decide how i want mine to look, so i have two questions.....

1) Does anyone have any pics of reproduction or original shamshirs? I'd love to see them.

2) Does anyone know where I can find a nice reproduction shamshir? I haven't been able to find nice reprreproductionsll i found were cheap fantasy looking blades.

-james
Shae Bishop

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I share your dissapointment in the dearth of good reproductions of shamshirs and other Islamic weapons. I believe Vince Evans has made a shamshir in the past. Also Museum Replicas Ltd. has a shamshir-like sword and I have seen pictures of a Cold Steel shamshir in the works, although I would have some major concerns about both quality and accuracy with those swords although I have not seen them in person. So far, the only nice samshirs I have seen for sale have been antiques, though these are far out of most people's price ranges. Going for a custom piece is also a viable option which could produce incredible results but that too is a very expensive route. A few sites with pictures of antique shamshirs are Oriental Arms at http://www.oriental-arms.co.il/ and a shamshir page at http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/shamshir/index.html
Good luck on your search and if you end up finding something please post some pictures for us to see.[/url]
J. Bedell

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for the help, ill be sure to check out the shamshirs you mentioned. Thank you for the links, these should help to further my search. I will be sure to post pics. once i find something.

thanks again
-james
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are pictures of the Vince Evans Shamshir in this page of the albums: http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/thumbnails.php?album=9&page=7

Alex

"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."

Last edited by Alexander Ren on Fri 14 Apr, 2006 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander Ren wrote:
There are pictures of the Vince Evans Shamshir in this page of the albums: http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/thumbnails.php?album=9&page=7

Alex

That is a beauty, isn't it?

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Alexander Ren wrote:

Alex

That is a beauty, isn't it?

Yes, I didn't have time to say anything else when I first posted because I was working on stuff for class, but that is a very beautiful sword. Of course can I really say anything less about Vince Evans' work? Granted, shamshirs are out of my area of immediate interest but I appreciate them none the less.

Alex

"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
J. Bedell

PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a very nice shamshir, I am really impressed by that. I think I may spend an extra couple hundred to get a custom made shamshir. I'd be thrilled if I could get something that looks that nice.

Thanks for the help
-james Big Grin
Hisham Gaballa

PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander Ren wrote:

Alex

It is a nice pice of work, but still not "typical" as it has a Turkish style hilt rather than a Persian hilt. Very beautiful all the same. Any idea on how it handles?

BTW, there is a very similar thread to this on Sword Forum International. Happy
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shae Bishop wrote:
a shamshir page at http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/shamshir/index.html

I absolutely adore the "Example 4".
Quote:

Example 4. A shamshir or Arab saif of Syrian style, the mountings likely 19th century; the blade possibly earlier. The blade is made of wootz or "true Damascus" steel, with a bold moderately complex pattern and has a gold inlaid inscription illustrated above as c. The quillon block and pommel cap are made of hallmarked silver engraved with foliage. The grip is of horn, thicker overall than the width shown in the picture. Four silver strips opposite from and at right angles to one another cover much of the grip and the areas of exposed dark brown horn show small silver and brass inlays. The end of the grip turns at an acute angle toward the edge to form the pommel. A tear shaped silver dangle is attached to the tip of the pommel cap by a loop. The scabbard of this example is of the Turkish fashion in that the scabbard is slit from the mouth along the spine side for about 12.5 cm. (5 inches) to allow the sharply curved blade to be withdrawn. Overall length: 91 cm. (35.7 inches); blade length: 76.5 cm. (30 inches).

Can anyone tell me more about this particular weapon?

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Shamshirs
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic