Help identifying sabres
Any suggestions as to the identity of these swords? There are no marks on the blades. Blade length 34 1/2 inches, total length 41 inches.
mark

Attachment: 34.57 KB
sabreinsidebell.jpg

Attachment: 33.51 KB
sabrebellside.jpg

Attachment: 29.83 KB
sabrebells.jpg

Attachment: 21.38 KB
sabres.jpg

Hello, Mark!
It appears to me that you are the lucky owner of two German weapons used in the formal duel known as the Mensur. Look up "Mensurfechten" (or see link below) to learn about this late 19th/early 20th c. practice (which is now illegal, but still goes on, apparently). See also C. Amberger's book The Secret History of the Sword for his first-hand account of this bloody, ritualized combat between student dueling fraternities. If I remember correctly, the hilts of your weapons originally had full liners in the colors of the given fraternity. The blades would have been extremely sharp, but the combatants wore enough protection to defend against lethal blows (eyes, throat and weapon-arm especially--the off hand was secured behind the back). The head was the primary (only?) target, and the combatants simply took turns slashing at each other. The scars left on the face were worn as badges of personal courage. Some research may turn up info about proper materials/colors for liners.

Here's a good link for you:

http://www.coburger-convent.de/mensur/index.html
sabres
Could be, but these blades are completely unsharpened.
mark
Plan B: I have also seen modern Viennese fraternity members in uniform, wearing these basket-hilt shlägers. I doubt those weapons were sharps, so the form may be the same for both purposes. Maybe your weapons post-date the ban on dueling.
Re: sabres
Mark Shier wrote:
Could be, but these blades are completely unsharpened.
mark

Practice weapons.
They look like gymnasium sabers from the late 1800's to me. The scrolling guard probably had some kind of leather or cloth protection at some time.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: