Go to page Previous  1, 2

Re: Axe
Craig Johnson wrote:
Hello Jean

Yes we could quench the edge. I am not sure how hard we could get the piece I would have to try ait and see. Probably into the period range of hardness for some of these pieces but I doubt getting close to the 50's range.

One could weld on a cutting edge to get that if it was needed but I do not think even modern axes are hardened to that point.

Best
Craig

Craig;

Well a fighting axe might be better with a harder edge if it's intended to be used for fighting 99 % of the time and might see only light use as a tool. Not extreme hardness needed but 55 R.C. or something should take a great edge and not be too brittle.

For the my axe getting period hardness of a low 40 R.C. should be good enough for a working edge that might be touched up before or after every use. I assume that this means that it is has just barely enough carbon to harden a bit.

Now offering axe with a welded on cutting edge might be an interesting option at a much HIGHER PRICE. These are inexpensive enough that having to resharpen often is not a problem and I guess the toughness must be pretty good.

Oh, don't be shy charging more for the extra work. :cool: :D

A wellded on edge would be even better if it doesn't drive the price way up there and would be easy to do ? No problem if it's not a cost effective option. Might be a good idea if I was ordering the Danish Axe though. ( Eventually, maybe. ;) )

Let me know what you decide to try. Thanks a lot. :D
I wonder, what are the design changes that the ax will undergo from the "MK 1" form which is on special, to the "MK 2" form which will follow?

Brian M
adjustments
Brian M wrote:
I wonder, what are the design changes that the ax will undergo from the "MK 1" form which is on special, to the "MK 2" form which will follow?

Brian M

Hi Brian

The adjustments on the axe are pretty minor. Slight alignment issue and some shaping to the plans of the exterior edges as well as a slight weight reduction. Mainly things that some would probably not notice but bugged me :D

The biggest difference by far will be the shaft. The hope is to have a custom shaft made that is longer with a bit of a swell at the base. This is something seen in period pieces and we thought would really jazz up this piece. The handles are being made by a shop that specializes in that type of thing but at this point we have not gotten the items as yet. I am not sure how long it will be. I wanted to get the head sorted out before I committed to the shaft.

Best
Craig
Its July...I wonder what we get for this month's highlight item? :D
Maybe it might be an idea to start new threads for each A&A item of the month. That way, people will be able to check out whatever the newest month's deal is without having to sift through various posts in a thread.
Craig Peters wrote:
Maybe it might be an idea to start new threads for each A&A item of the month. That way, people will be able to check out whatever the newest month's deal is without having to sift through various posts in a thread.
'

They announce it on their own Web site. No need to browse the forum.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Craig Peters wrote:
'

That's true Nathan, but I wouldn't be surprised if some people only find the item of the month via myArmoury.
Craig Peters wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Craig Peters wrote:

That's true Nathan, but I wouldn't be surprised if some people only find the item of the month via myArmoury.

That would be unfortunate for A&A. In my mind, one of their objectives for a monthly highlight item should be to generate more traffic on their own website. I know that their "scheme" ( :lol: ) works on me!
I don't care about the strategy behind it right now. Tactically its brilliant but I just want to know what the new monthly item will be!!!!
I'm sure A&A will announce it when they have a chance and/or see fit. I know they know what it is. Patience, folks.
Chad Arnow wrote:
I'm sure A&A will announce it when they have a chance and/or see fit. I know they know what it is. Patience, folks.

We're not showing impatience, just generating hype.

Completely different animal! ;)
Check it out
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Check it out

:)
Hmmm. That piece deserves some serious consideration.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: