Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Sherriff Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Matt Phillips

Reading list: 8 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love it! It's exactly what I want for my next sword. It has so much beauty for something so butch. And no matter how simple it may look, you HAVE to look at it. I can't say enough about how much I like it.
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just noticed that in the shot of the whole sword, the fuller looks to stretch a bit farther down the blade than in the concept drawings. Almost pushes a "short, fat, type XII" kind of vibe, no? More of a "tweener" like the Solingen?
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like that a lot. Much better than the drawing. I've always loved The Sovereign and this is a nice addition to the Type XIV. So very few of them out there to begin with.

It does seem to have a more utilitarian look to it. The crossguard looks like the same type as on my Mercenary.

Nice job guys. Another success. Exclamation

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I still like the Sovereign better, but I do admire the Sherriff's clean, simple, beautiful lines
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I still like the Sovereign better, but I do admire the Sherriff's clean, simple, beautiful lines

Agreed, the Sovereign has more character and detail but the Sherrif gives a more simple and clean appearance. It's a nice alternative.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Sherriff looks very nice. I tend to agree with Grey - it would look great with the magenta grip.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I should think the Sheriff would be very attractive to a lot of reenactment folks who only have the resources to go the foot soldier route.

My first purchases have been swords that I consider more "knightly" (hand and a half Crecey, Knight sword, now waiting on Ringeck and Munich), but realistically these make more sense for use from horse back or after battle conditions have spread people out. The Sheriff looks too nice to be a common infantry man's sword. Does anyone else think it looks like it the perfect sword of a veteran captain/ commander of infantry forces?

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that the Sherriff has been around for awhile, has anyone bought one or handled one? What did you think of it? I'm contemplating saving up to buy one. Which means I'll be able to buy it sometime next year Worried
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Jonathan Harton

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got to handle the Sherriff, and all but 5 of Albion's whole line, at the Blade Show. Of all my first impression, one word descriptors upon holding each sword, The Sherriff and the Thegn were both "wicked". That is the best word for them. The Sherriff is a very quick and nimble sword that is easy to underestimate at a glace. It is the shortest in Albion's whole line, but it still packs a load of authority. At 2lbs 10 ounces, it is not a light sword for its size. For Ex, the Senlac, Bayeux, and Reeve weigh ounces less, but it is all in the balance for this baby.

It's COG puts most of the mass very close to the hilt. If you hold the sword vertical, you can feel the mass pressing towards the hilt. That mass gravity gives a very good sense of point control while still holding a solid ability to dish out wicked cuts. The subtle curves of the blade matched with its width and solid cross section seemed to me to insure a stout cutting presence while not overly making the warping of the tip section in cutting, a not so uncommon thing with acute tipped blades of longer lengths, an issue I would be worried about with this blade. Cut recovery and cut to thrust transition was very natural and required little effort. To me, you don't tell this sword what to do, you just follow through with what it was made to do. In its niche, this sword is...... wicked.

This sword begs and screams to be paired with a buckler for some I.33. I didn't get to test cut with it obviously, but I did run it through some basic I.33 drills with an "air buckler." I really wish I would have brought a buckler to the show with me. From what I did get a feel for, there is no doubt in my mind what this sword is made for. I have no doubt that this blade would have made those clerical masters proud.

Match all this with a simple but beautiful pommel and cross, and I don't think there is a sword of this type being offered by anyone else with such quality VS price.

The Bayeux is on the top of my list of Albions for my LH kit and love of shorter X's, I'll be placing an order very soon if all pans out, but this sword will be the next one I look into when I get the money.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Sherriff
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: