Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > advice requested on swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hank,

I think the problem with asking questions about what people would like to see in terms of future reproductions on a site like myArmoury is that you end up with the answer: everything under the sun. Wink

That having been said, I'd like to add a few things:

1) I'd like to second Wolfgang's suggestion about the double fullered Type XVII. It would be really nice to see a faithful reproduction of this sword that handles fairly closely to the original.

2) Sean is right- there's a dearth of 16th and 17th century stuff in the market. It would be nice to see a focus on earlier periods too.

3) Axes. I really wish there were more 11th, 12th and 13th century axes based upon historical originals available on the market. I understand that you're a fan of the Vikings, so presumably axes are dear to your heart, and something you'd enjoy making for the market.

4) Any weapons that are not swords based on surviving originals from the early and high middle ages. Someone else mentioned that more medieval daggers from this period would be nice, and I agree. It would also be nice to see more spears, axes, maces, and the like. Arms and Armor has a few high end pieces of this sort, but it would be nice to see more. And, because you'd be offering something that wasn't very commonly available in the market, you'd probably be able to sell them relatively well to collectors and HEMA students.
George Hill

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One thing which I think would be very welcome amoung martial artists is a 'set' of swords, unfortunitly this would likely be beyond the pocket books of most of them.

Nonetheless, the overall idea is to sell a blunt, a sharp, and perhaps a wooden waster and a soft boffer all made to match. Someone on this site has already put this idea somewhat into practice, buying an Albion squireline and a very similar sharp from Albion.

Albion is now gearing up to produce some practice blunts which I am sure will be in every way excellent, but they do not seem to really match their sharp line. I cannot claim to fully understand the design issues, but I would have encouraged the matching of the practise weapons to the sharps. Similar blade profiles, and hilts that were so similar that one could not tell the difference blindfolded.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Greg Thomas Obach
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i'd like to see a decent viking style bare blade on the market.... for entry level people that would like to do some cutting...
- with a shallow fuller and a very strong tang (one piece and thick)
- made of a good heat treated steel.... ( 5160 or 1070 ) ( no low carbon or stainless steel shizer)
- And give these bare blades a good name....not just surplus so and so... its gotta start these newb's on a thirst for decents swords..... and what better way that to see what it takes to polish, sharpen, and haft a decent blade...

good mid level spike hilt swords..... none of the high polished stuff..... (hardly historically correct )

lastly....... a top quality boar spear..... long blade length with twist core pattern ... i've alway wanted to forge one of these ...i also see that there is none on the market....

oh....i almost forgot...... the PW has to be done with plain carbon steels.... none of this high nickle steel for contrast.....that hardly historic.... (maybe for a keris but not for a euro )

Greg

Wink
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
One thing which I think would be very welcome amoung martial artists is a 'set' of swords, unfortunitly this would likely be beyond the pocket books of most of them.

Nonetheless, the overall idea is to sell a blunt, a sharp, and perhaps a wooden waster and a soft boffer all made to match. Someone on this site has already put this idea somewhat into practice, buying an Albion squireline and a very similar sharp from Albion.

Albion is now gearing up to produce some practice blunts which I am sure will be in every way excellent, but they do not seem to really match their sharp line. I cannot claim to fully understand the design issues, but I would have encouraged the matching of the practise weapons to the sharps. Similar blade profiles, and hilts that were so similar that one could not tell the difference blindfolded.

George,

As the Albion webpage has mentioned, "a sparring sword needs to be designed along completely different lines from the ground up". But more than this, there are blade designs that do not work well for sparring weapons. Another forum member and I both requested to see a Type XV sparring sword in the Maestro Line, but Peter explained that it would not be a realistic goal because of the way XV swords are made. They're not well suited to being adapted as sparring weapons. Thus, the seeming limited selection of sparring swords in the Maestro line is due, in part, to the fact that there are quite a few types of sword that cannot be safely replicated into the line.

Secondly, Albion is trying to keep the Maestro line cheap. Fancier pommels and guards contribute to a more expensive sword- contrast the Steward with the Count, for example. If Albion started creating matched pairs of swords, it would probably drive the price up, which doesn't really make sense for a practice weapon.

Finally, there is some parring that could naturally occur from items in the Maestro Line with the Next Gen or Museum Line. The Liechtenauer looks like it could be paired nicely with the Sempach or Landgraf. The Epee de Guerre would work quite nicely for the Steward or the Count. The Marxbruder obviously matches nicely with the Meister. And the I:33 would work nicely as a practice sword for the Solingen. So I think there is a greater degree of "matching" between the various lines than you might expect, so long as we ignore superficial details like guard and pommel differences, which frankly don't really matter all that much on a practice sword anyways.
Ray Gin

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Type 1 schiavonas. ... they seem harder to come by than winning lotto numbers. As for the ones that are out there, it would seem that they're available only with those winning lotto numbers.

ray

"living well is the best revenge..."

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > advice requested on swords
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: