Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Home Spa Treatment Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice work on the grip by the way. Cool

My first post was mostly just a little teasing, but I forgot to compliment you on the grip and an interesting topic: Not abuse or destructive testing, but it's interesting to see the effects of heavy use. If you were resharpening instead of de-burring the usability of a sharp would seem to be the same I think even if for a different use.

A sword seeing a lot of fighting might loose it's pristine look but should continue being a useful tool for a good while, and even more if only used for real fights with wasters or an old sword used for training.

A training sword gets the wear an tear of decades of fighting or carrying in mere days or weeks. Eek!

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, thank you for the compliment!

I am extremely curious about how much damage would be considered normal and acceptable on a battle sword and how much maintenance was required.

I like the antiqued look that some folks here have done to their swords, so obviously that normal aging and wear and tear is considered attractive and even desirable to some. Too bad aging and wear and tear on the sword owner isn't seen the same way. Laughing Out Loud

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oakeshott notes that some Type XV swords may be honed-down Type XVIII blades, raising the interesting possibility that a sword could become more useful for a given kind of combat as it became less useful for another due to edge damage and subsequent honing. Although these blade types are both cut & thrust, the loss of the Type XVIII edge profile would theoretically reduce the cutting effectiveness and increase the thrusting effectiveness, right? Hard to say, I guess, without hands-on knowledge of both types. Keep training and honing Pamela, and you may end up with a lovely 16th century estoc blade! Laughing Out Loud
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, Sean. That's very interesting to know. It's also comforting to think I'm doing things similar to the way it was done in the past. Nice thought.

Oh, and to make it clear, when

I wrote:
Too bad aging and wear and tear on the sword owner isn't seen the same way.

I was referring only to myself and no one else. Happy

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ironically, training makes you sharper!
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
Anton,
I like the riser! I haven't attempted that yet, but it looks good.

Feels good too, if situated just between the ring finger and the little finger. Makes the blade even easier to control.
Easily done, if you've read Mr. Greyson's instructions.

I do advice cord or leather for the riser instead of the rubber hair band I used. Cord or leather will no doubt last longer. Wink

Apart from that...like Greyson already mentioned, it's good practice to fold over the ends of the leather before wrapping, as the final result looks a bit better that way.
It's unnecessary to put anything under the leather except the risers, as the outside cord will press into the leather, and leave permanent cord-like marks.
Albion Next Gen grips are done that way, as Nathan Robinson pointed out to me in another thread.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicely done, Pamela. I am just catching up with my reading after going out of town, and find that you have gotten the restoration bug. Well, I have to say that the "old Bastard" looks great!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: just the beginning         Reply with quote

Okay, the first time was just for practice. Happy

The wood grip was really hopelessly cracked. My repairs weren't enough, so I sent it back to Albion for a new wood grip. Unfortunately, black still isn't my color. Laughing Out Loud So I re-gripped again. This time I used fine crochet thread and I did dye the chamois with yellow Rit dye. Due to my lack of skill with the camera it looks like the old re-grip is yellower than the new re-grip. Actually the new one has a much stronger yellow tint to it. The biggest disadvantage of the light color is that it picks up any dirt that might be around and the dye from whatever gloves I am wearing and sweating through.

The riser is a hair elastic. (I have a few of those on hand.) Wink

Next up (in a couple of weeks) will be my Albion Squire line knightly sword. This time in green.

Attachment: 122.3 KB
re-regrip.jpg

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking great Pamela! Yeah, doesn't it really bite how those light colors pick up EVERY smudge, dust spot, and bit of oil off your fingers! Nice to see you keeping those swords looking gooooood.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Griggs wrote:
Looking great Pamela! Yeah, doesn't it really bite how those light colors pick up EVERY smudge, dust spot, and bit of oil off your fingers! Nice to see you keeping those swords looking gooooood.

On the other hand a bit of dirt and scuff marks are character. Wink Razz

Maybe a coat of wax will keep the dirt from sticking and some rubbing might wipe most dirt off if done right away with a cloth.

I find that a fresh coat of renaissance wax on a leather grip is slightly sticky and not slippery so it wouldn't be a problem just wiping the grip before use. A plus would be that it might actually be good for the leather ?

Nice grip. Cool

Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! Very impressive work.

I'm jealous--partly in that I don't have anyone to spar with and nick up my blade!

Great work on everything; I especially like the yellow colour. It's very different from the standard stereotype of a sword, but it looks beautiful and I don't mind deviations from stereotypes!
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did you use the crochet thread for the underwrap or the exterior wrap? How did you like it? I've only used crochet thread on the outside. I like it because of the amount of detail it brings out, but with a thread that size, you have to do a lot of winding thread around the grip. I found it hard to maintain consistancy even over a relatively short grip. I'm still looking for the ideal cords, threads, and what have you for sword grips.

-Grey

Edited because I make stupid mistakes sometimes. (See Pamela's quote of my post if you want to see what I mean).

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company

Last edited by Greyson Brown on Mon 11 Sep, 2006 3:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, gentlemen, for the compliments. I do think it turned out so much better the second time around.

Greyson Brown wrote:
Did you use the crochet thread for the underwrap or the exterior wrap? How did you like it? I've only used crochet thread on the outside. I like it because of the amount of detail it brings out, but with a thread that size, you have to do a lot of winding thread around the grip. I found it hard to maintain consistancy even over a relatively short grip. I'm still looking for the item cords, threads, and what have you for sword grips.

-Grey

Hi Grey,
Thanks again for the inspiration! I used the crochet thread both under and over. I've been told that I don't really need to use it underneath, but I thought the extra layer of protection for the wood might be a good thing. (Someone needs to report me for sword abuse.) Eek! I wanted finer detail than I had the first time around, but the thinnest hemp chord that I found was still too thick for what I wanted and way too lumpy. The crochet thread looks quite nice, but it was very tedious work and took a lot of concentration. I did it on a day when no one else was home, which helped a great deal. Any distraction and the thread was no longer where it should be. Happy I think doing it both over and under helped to hide any gaps in my winding as well.

I found a metallic craft chord which makes really pretty turks head knots on my aluminum waster. Big Grin

Oh, and if the grip gets too grimy looking, it's just an excuse to try to re-grip again. (I figure it will get better each time.) Happy

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
Hi Grey,
Thanks again for the inspiration! I used the crochet thread both under and over. I've been told that I don't really need to use it underneath, but I thought the extra layer of protection for the wood might be a good thing. (Someone needs to report me for sword abuse.) Eek! I wanted finer detail than I had the first time around, but the thinnest hemp chord that I found was still too thick for what I wanted and way too lumpy. The crochet thread looks quite nice, but it was very tedious work and took a lot of concentration. I did it on a day when no one else was home, which helped a great deal. Any distraction and the thread was no longer where it should be. Happy I think doing it both over and under helped to hide any gaps in my winding as well.

I found a metallic craft chord which makes really pretty turks head knots on my aluminum waster. Big Grin

Oh, and if the grip gets too grimy looking, it's just an excuse to try to re-grip again. (I figure it will get better each time.) Happy

Great job, by the way (sorry, I forgot to say that earlier).

I definately agree with you that using the crochet thread requires some effort and concentration. I used that stuff when I wrapped the grip on my waster, my MRL Falchion, and my MRL River Thames Mace. By the time I did the mace, I was winding cord around the grip while watching TV and talking to my mother, so it will get easier over time. Unfortunately, I still don't think that the crochet is exactly what I want. I found some nylon cord at Wal-Mart that I am going to try as an outer wrap. It is definately thicker than the crochet thread, but not as big as the hemp cords. It is also uniform, which I think will help a lot. It isn't something I would use under the leather, because it is synthetic, but I don't have as big a problem with doing that on the outside. That just gets discarded anyway.

I would agree that having a layer of cord under the leather helps to hide some mistakes. I also like the extra little bit of padding that it provides.

It looks like you folded the leather over at top and bottom to get that nice "finished edge" look. I really like the way that turns out. One observation, though, is that you get that same line running over the riser that I do. I am strongly considering doing my outer wrap in multiple sections. On this grip, I would wrap from the guard to the riser, tie it off, and then do the same thing from the riser to the pommel. That way you wouldn't have a cord running over the riser and leaving a mark there. Of course, on a sword with several risers, you would have even more individual sections. I am a little concerned about bulges on the riser if I go with that method though. If you are going to do a riser or two on your knight, and are inclined to try doing your outer wrap in sections, let me know how it works.

-Grey

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your new grip looks great, Pamela. I look forward to seeing it, if all works out well at the end of this year. Maybe you can give me some grip-wrap lessons.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Grey, doing the wrap in multiple sections is a great idea! I'm kicking myself that I didn't already think of it. I will certainly try it on the next wrap. Is the nylon cord the same stuff that looks like fishing line? It seems nice and smooth, but I have a hard time seeing that nearly clear line. (I'm quite far-sighted.)

Crochet thread comes in a variety of widths. I used the 20 size. (The higher the number the thinner the thread. I've seen crochet thread from size 30 to size 3.) I wonder how embroidery floss would work? It's 6 individual strands twisted together. It might be an interesting effect, though I don't think I'm quite ready to try it yet.

Steve, I hope you do get to see it!

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela;

Fishing line is more a kind of plastic " monofilament " which probably means what it says. Eek!

When I think of nylon cord I visualize the very strong white glossy, semi-translucent and smooth cord made up of smaller cords twisted into larger cords. It comes in very fine spools and in large rope almost cable sizes, very strong as even the thinnest nylon cord with cut your finger open before it even comes close to breaking.

Fishing monofilament tends to be stiff and wouldn't work well or stay in place if one lets go of the tension when wrapping around something. ( Hard to explain, but almost like a weak spring and if you let go, all the turns or most of the turns you would make around the handle, would tend to unravel. ) There may be some fishing lines that are nylon cord I think, but I don't fish so I could be wrong. Used to use fishing line, the clear monofilament stuff to suspend set decorations for T.V. production because it's transparent and would almost disappear when you wanted some object to seem to be floating in the air.

I remember it was very hard to make a knot that wouldn't unravel itself unless one made a very large number of knots one over the other. Also stiff making knotting a pain. Eek!

( You need to spend more time browsing in hardware stores handling various king of rope to get a feel for textures and other qualities. Wink Razz I think wandering the isles of hardware stores looking at tools and plumbing supplies is one of those guy things: Always fascinating for the little boy still in us as the strangest stuff can become part of a D.I.Y project or just imagining how this stuff could be used ........ Oh, duct tape is another of those things that hold almost hypnotic attraction.) Razz )

Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
( You need to spend more time browsing in hardware stores handling various king of rope to get a feel for textures and other qualities. Wink Razz I think wandering the isles of hardware stores looking at tools and plumbing supplies is one of those guy things: Always fascinating for the little boy still in us as the strangest stuff can become part of a D.I.Y project or just imagining how this stuff could be used ........ Oh, duct tape is another of those things that hold almost hypnotic attraction.) Razz )

Jean, yep, hardware stores are definitely a "guy thing". I'm much more comfortable in the craft and sewing shops, a "chick thing". I do use duct tape, but I have spools of yellow and green. Happy (I didn't like the pink, it was too bright, now maybe a nice pale pastel pink...) Razz Laughing Out Loud

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela,

What I picked up is the white twisted, multistrand stuff that Jean mentioned. I am guessing, but it is probably about 1.5 mm thick. Because it is made of several strands twisted together, it should create a texture very similar to that on the Albion Next Gen grips.

-Grey

Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahh! I was thinking nylon thread, which is a sewing notion and not a hardware supply. (Nylon thread is nasty stuff, it's hard to see and it cuts into your hands. If you've ever had a blanket or comforter come unstitched and gotten tangled in it, you know what I mean.) Jean is right, I guess I need to spend more time at the hardware store. Laughing Out Loud Grey, let me know how the nylon cord turns out. Happy
Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Home Spa Treatment
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: