Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Question for Albion about next gen sword crosses Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lee Watts

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 14 Dec, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Question for Albion about next gen sword crosses         Reply with quote

quite a few of your new next generation swords the squire, knight, baron and the duke have the classic style 2 cross do you guys know if the cross section of the crossguard is going to be rounded squared or octagonal? like this one

http://www.myArmoury.com/view.html?reviews/pj_bj2.jpg

i know its very early in the designs of these swords i just thought it would be interesting to know being a fan of the octagonal type.

sorry for being a nuisance.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Question for Albion about next gen sword crosses         Reply with quote

Lee Watts wrote:
quite a few of your new next generation swords the squire, knight, baron and the duke have the classic style 2 cross do you guys know if the cross section of the crossguard is going to be rounded squared or octagonal? like this one

http://www.myArmoury.com/view.html?reviews/pj_bj2.jpg

i know its very early in the designs of these swords i just thought it would be interesting to know being a fan of the octagonal type.

sorry for being a nuisance.

Hi Lee,
The style 2 cross is a favourite of mine as well (-can you tell? Wink )
It is possible to vary this style quite a bit to adjust it to sword of various characters. In the set of new swords for the next generation there will be versions with round section, square section, square section with beveled edges and octagonal section.

The "Knigh" (type XII) will have a cross of octagonal section. (similar to the sword in the photo you used as example)
The "Squire" has a cross that is square in section but with subtly crowned front faces.
The "Baron" will also have an octagonal sectioned style 2 cross but with another character than that of the "Knight", being more massive and pronounced.
The "Duke" will (most probably) have a cross of round section and fairly massive dimension.
The "Ritter" will have a cross that is elongated, slim and sublte in its sculpting, but clearly of style 2 and (most probably) having a round section.
The "Count" could also be said to have a version of style 2 cross: it will have trumpeted ends and a swelling in the middle. It will be of octagonal section (or have beveled corners, a border line case here) and also risers or swellings in the middle of each arm. It is difficult to describe this feature in text. I hope the small sketch on the Albion site can give some idea of what it will look like. The cross on the "Count" is based on an original sword found in the riverbank of Fyris river, here in my home town of Uppsala. Eric McHugh and I documented this sword during his visit earlier this year. The hilt on the "Count" is heavily influenced by the original sword from Uppsala but will have an octagonal wheel pommel intead of a spherical one as on the historical sword.

The intent of the conceptual drawings on Albions site is to give as accurate an idea of the shape, style and proportions of each sword as is possible before the hilts are actually made and the swords put together. I have strived to vary the shading to express concave and convex surfaces. Some variations or slight changes of shapes and volumes migh is a natural result of the development of the swords. Any variations will be slight and made to express the character of each sword more strongly. Final size of cross, pommel and grip of the swords will be established as a result of balancing the blade, both visually and physically. A three dimensional volume is something completely different from a two dimensional drawing.
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the feedback, Mr. Johnson! I have ordered the Langraf ( or rather my wife has...man, I have a great wife!!) and look forward to this fine sword.

Regards,

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Lee Watts

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks peter thats exactly what i wanted to hear. :-) i'm just about drooling in expectation.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Question for Albion about next gen sword crosses
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic